Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02   #46

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Stunning blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
...For the record, in the "good old days" before digital, photographers would select the film they used based on the effect they want.
What is this "film" stuff you describe?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31   #47
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Stunning Blog

" Simple, bohemian and close to the nature."

ROFL!!!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52   #48

Re: Stunning blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
What is this "film" stuff you describe?
for example (from wiki)

Fujichrome color reversal (slide) films.
  • Velvia: one of the most saturated and fine-grained slide films, valued by nature and landscape photographers.
  • Provia: a slide film giving more natural colors than Velvia.
  • Astia: a fined grained, low contrast slide film often used for studio or portrait applications.
  • Sensia: a low-contrast consumer slide film; the current emulsion is considered to be identical or near-identical to Astia in the professional line.[6][7]
  • Fortia: consumer slide film, featuring extremely vivid color rendering suitable for flower photography and other high-saturation applications (for Japanese market).
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Cruising costs are a popular topic here, and Taru has posted theirs - LINK

Summary:
Food cost: €600
Customs, mooring, harbor fees: €370
Boat maintenance: €275
Laundry: €40
Insurance: €250
Internet: €200
+ Shopping: €100

€1835 or $2644 per month.

By comparison, when we were cruising the same islands, we didn't spend nearly what they have listed for Customs etc, boat maintenance, and laundry. The €200 Internet cost is the monthly fee for their satellite system. They're definitely not in the $500/month class, but not outrageously over the top, either. They certainly seem to get a lot of enjoyment of life out of US$32,000 per year.

They also added in thier blog right after this list the following:
"We know it is very easy to live much cheaper than this, the day we would absolutely need to, we could easily cut down on the food cost, the customs, the Internet and so on and we know of people who makes a trip like ours in €500/month. I believe in general that if you have a good boat, or a good plan for how to travel the world, plus if you have money saved for food and unexpected happenings plus a good insurance, then you're free to go. I haven't included the buffer for unexpected costs in our calculation but I guess there isn't much left for us since we are spending most of the money we have on living a very, very comfortable life."
Not much pretense here, is there? A recognition that their lifestyle is not everybody's, that it can be done less expensively, and that they are happy doing it their way.

So, why the bumfuzzling of their choices?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Not much pretense here, is there?
The pretense is in their actions not their covering of tracks with words.

Quote:
Outside of the original spam-alot, I suppose because there is no good story in going shopping and photo crops. Something needs to be at stake to make a good story, and there is nothing here. A sanitized life.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:34   #51

They came up with a great way to pursue the dream, pay for it, and look sexy doing it.
All you haters are just mad because you didn't think of it, are to fat & old to be young & hot, and had to/continue to slave away to afford it.
It's like a bunch of old children in here.
Grow up.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:45   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Why all the fuss.
Sometimes a slick travel magazine looks good to me. I pick it up, read it for a while, get tired of the hyperpole and go on to something more substantial...
Getting upset at the way people live their lives?? ( Yawn) Why don't you argue while I go back to bed. It is Sunday you know...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
All you haters are just mad because you didn't think of it, are to fat & old to be young & hot, and had to/continue to slave away to afford it.
It's like a bunch of old children in here.
Grow up.
wow...talk about hypocracy...people come on here, saying its so great...plenty of us disagree with reasons and counter that argument...and you are pulling insults out of your [moderator edit] based on absolutely no logic or fact, except you feel uncomfortable and it might intrude on your mental limitations.

Looks to me like you are the one in need a few kinder lessons....just sayin'
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Why don't you argue while I go back to bed. It is Sunday you know...
did you reset your clocks? I forgot...
Old 06-11-2011, 10:27   #55

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Never heard of them. Looked at the page on the link, read the posts here, looked at their page again and noticed some things. Obviously a pitch for the resort and I'm sure they got their accomodations comped, 10 pics of food, 5 of booze, hardly any of the ocean or boats. Sailors blog? All pics are poses. I'll never go back. I liked the Bumfuzzles better. The early days not the baby days they have now. But that's just me. You don't have to agree. BOB
PS I like all the other blogs better and yes I want to hear about your clogged toilet.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:30   #56

Saltmonkey, do everyone a favor, pull your stick out of the mud, put on your bigboy pants, wipe the sleepys out of your eyes and grow up. Adults are trying to talk here.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
...Adults are trying to talk here.
Really? You could have fooled me. But don't worry...I'm just a shadow on your grave.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56   #58

Boat: CS 27

It's a little too polished for my taste, and I like humour in travelogues, so it's not something I will read, but some may love it.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06   #59

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:

Just a little....wish that were me syndrome?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16   #60

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
A very serious blog, they never smile! very business like, we have a word in scotland -poser, kinda like peacocks, look at me, look at me, But if they make money out of it and it lets them cruise, then good luck to them!

Yeah what a bunch of posers they even crossed the Atlantic just to pretend like they are real sailors.

As far as them saying "look at me" isn't that exactly what a blog is? An invitation for people to look at you and your life?

Not you in particular, but people in this thread are getting themselves all worked up because this guy has a hot girlfriend and a really nice camera.

Most people don't have a hot girlfriend, or a nice camera so they have to crap all over these people to make themselves feel better. It is a pretty basic emotional response hence all the people urging others not to act like children

Just take it easy. How would you feel if you put a ton of work into something and then a bunch of strangers on some forum dumped all over it? Easy now easy.
Closed Thread