Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 19:49   #1

Strictly Sail Chicago

Has anyone been to this show and is it worth driving to from Oklahoma?
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 20:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Strictly sail Chicago

It could be a nasty drive this time of year, if you do go be safe and let us know how it goes. We are shooting for the Miami one since alligent is now flying out of tulsa now.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 20:35   #3

You are local! Wow, that's pretty cool! Are you a member of any of the sailing clubs or anything in the area?
Old 27-12-2013, 21:07   #4

Sure it's worth driving up from OK...depending on your hopes and dreams. It's best if you've fairly secured your dreams into somewhat of a congealed state where you know what you're looking for or at least what your aim is.

I've come to find out the Strictly Sail events are about one and the same whether it's Chitown, Long Beach, Oakland, or Miami. One gets what one puts in...what do you have to bring? Get your dream on.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 21:16   #5

I've never been to a strictly sail event and as far as dreams and what not that pertain to the show, they are minimal... I just don't know how big it is and if it's a good show. I've been to a number of different boat shows in different states but not one geared to strictly sailing. I looked on the website but didn't get a lot of insight of what to expect. I'm not going to be buying a new boat but wanted to go check out a new town and see what the trade show was all about. At the same time I don't want to get there and only see five boats and someone selling beef jerky if you get what I'm saying...
Old 27-12-2013, 21:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
I've never been to a strictly sail event and as far as dreams and what not that pertain to the show, they are minimal... I just don't know how big it is and if it's a good show. I've been to a number of different boat shows in different states but not one geared to strictly sailing. I looked on the website but didn't get a lot of insight of what to expect. I'm not going to be buying a new boat but wanted to go check out a new town and see what the trade show was all about. At the same time I don't want to get there and only see five boats and someone selling beef jerky if you get what I'm saying...
Muy comprendo amigo. I'd say you are the exact demographic these shows are rigged for. Take in as many of the lectures as you can. The talks are filled with knowledge and experience which anyone, high sodium or not, would find informative.
Old 27-12-2013, 21:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Muy comprendo amigo. I'd say you are the exact demographic these shows are rigged for. Take in as many of the lectures as you can. The talks are filled with knowledge and experience which anyone, high sodium or not, would find informative.
Muy comprendo has no meaning at all in spanish... Please just show some more respect to other languages. Thank you.
Old 27-12-2013, 23:02   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393

No to any of the clubs, we are working on retiring right now and getting rid of all of the crap we have managed to store up in 27 years....wow. We are heading to Clearwater mid January to search the marinas and see some for sale by owners. If you head to Chicago let us know how it is
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 23:19   #9

I'm jealous that you guys are so close to cruising ! I will def let you guys know if we decide to go... I'm a member at the Grand Lake Sailing Club and at Windy Crest on Keystone lake if you guys would ever like to check the boats out at either club...
Old 27-12-2013, 23:23   #10

Here is a link to the show guide. Lists the seminars and the show speakers.

NMMA Strictly Sail Chicago 2013
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 23:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
Here is a link to the show guide. Lists the seminars and the show speakers.

NMMA Strictly Sail Chicago 2013

Awesome, Thanks!
Old 28-12-2013, 04:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Muy comprendo has no meaning at all in spanish... Please just show some more respect to other languages. Thank you.
My original reply to you has been deleted by the mods and I have been warned.

I'm sorry you found offense but rather than only chastise why don't you offer something constructive? No offense was intended by me but that you point out the slight it seems fitting that you would provide the correction or at least show where the offense lies.

The rules of CF point out that this is an English speaking website. So, if an English speaker were to unwittingly make an error while using a foreign language it would be justified that they taking offense (that would be you) would provide correction.

Respect to other languages? Name one language which hasn't been butchered by others. Name a language which hasn't been butchered by even native speakers of that language. Yet you take me to task for one simple phrase which seems to rub you raw? Since it is Spanish you mention, would that be Castillion or other?

I apologize to the mods for the heartburn but some folks seem too thin skinned to confront reality as it occurs. Again, any apparent slight or offense on my part was unintentional.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:40   #13

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Good Life,

We went last year for the first time, and took a bunch of notes back with us. The classes are really what you want to go for, the venders, there are a bunch of them, are a mixed bag of equipment/gear displays and yes, even jerky. It was nice to talk to reps, and "see" what they had, and talk to them about their equipment. I will have to guess there were around 30/35 boats, from day sailors, to the 42' New Bluejacket, and sizes in-between, including a cat, which was a forever wait to get aboard.

The classes are very good. Keynotes this year include Larry and Lin Pardey, and Nigel Calder returns again this year. But really, the classes are great, do go just for them, the venders are just a bonus.

One note, and this is a headache saver, get there within the first 15 minutes of the show start(11AM), preferably earlier, as parking on Navy Pier will be full by 11:15. Or take a cab from your hotel, personally I love the Palmer House Hilton, just off Michigan Ave, close to the Museums, and Millennium Park. It is a great old hotel, and the grand foyer is just that.

I hope this helps a little bit,
Old 02-01-2014, 14:17   #14

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I just found out about the Chicago show in a Good Old Boat advertisement. I would love to go and pick up some stuff but right now, looks like that may not happen. Looks like some good seminars going on for this show. Those alone might be worth the visit.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 00:50   #15

Re: Strictly Sail Chicago

Well, I booked the room at the Sheraton and I have until the week of to cancel at no charge so as long as weather permits I'm going to check it out!

Tags
sail