Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2011, 15:17   #316
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

i will be in the old harbor starting dec 1-- prolly be in maz until march at the present rate of repair---definitely on mexico time...bottom paint might be a great idea, but i dont know if i am gonna do that yet,-depends on prices in the shrimpers' yards.
would love to meet ye

we had a wet wet summer....

ye know-- the folks i knew who warned me before i left about the northers ....didnt have a smidge of wind across. i wanted about 30 kts. makes goood sailing
Old 26-11-2011, 19:08   #317

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i will be in the old harbor starting dec 1-- prolly be in maz until march at the present rate of repair---definitely on mexico time...bottom paint might be a great idea, but i dont know if i am gonna do that yet,-depends on prices in the shrimpers' yards.
would love to meet ye

we had a wet wet summer....

ye know-- the folks i knew who warned me before i left about the northers ....didnt have a smidge of wind across. i wanted about 30 kts. makes goood sailing
Well, then, all things working relatively the way they are planned, I should catch up with you in Maz in dec or jan. If you're bottom needs it, you should probably do it, no? A haul at a reasonable price and doing it yourself with some volunteers to help, wouldn't be too expensive. Who wants a comped vacation on a boat in beautiful Mazatlan, Mexico out there? Real time, real boats, real people!

This norther isn't too bad, only 30 kts here, which means maybe 45 or 50 in bahia conception and maybe 55 or 60 up at lsla los angeles, just north of santa rosalia. They're more of a risk farther north in the Sea.

Send me a google maps posit of where you're anchored later when I'm headed across and I'll find you. I know about Mexie time, as I can let a day or two go by without diminishing "the list." But, it gets done, poco a poco. wtf, I have no schedule after all, really. From here to eternity, a favorite film from my youth. later.
Old 26-11-2011, 19:24   #318

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
Hi Easy,
Just wondering if Salty's monkey is as entertaining as my friend Monkeybutt.

Not a life changing insight, more like finally making a dream come true, it was better than I ever imagined, and its time to make the rest of that dream come true too.

Nope, not a cowgirl, though I have rounded up one or three cows, made a few steers, rode a few horses, killed a few rattlesnakes. Its kind of dry around here too, with an annual average of 8 1/2 inches rain a year. Makes for tough sailing so we have to rely on the Columbia and Snake for our entertainment.

Do you own a speak easy, Speakeasy?
Nia
Well, anyone who calls themselves monkey is bound to be entertaining. So you've been thinking sailing for some time. How much sailing have you done?

Cows? Making mountain frys? Killing rattlesnakes? You sound like you have the gumption to cross oceans on a small boat. I know a woman who had a rite of passage when she killed a litte copperhead after a year of living among 'em. I've lived in Portland for a year and loved the Columbia and river country, but can't really imagine sailing it with it's swift current.

I don't know where the few ladies are who make up the backbone of this thread. Perhaps they're waiting until all the males leave to come say hello. Like to hear more of your life story, Nia, when you get the notion to tell it. I'm not even a regular here, as it's been somewhat stale since the last two moderators found their soul mate or significant other and have vamoosed. Ocean girl started this here starry-eyed endeavor and gadagirl succeeded her. But you certainly have brought a fresh wind to sails here. Welcome.
Old 26-11-2011, 19:48   #319

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Zee if ye gets a diver or don't mind getting a little wet yourself, a good stiff brush will remove the moss and a Teflon coated spatula will remove most of the other hard growy things on yer hull. Good time to check the zincs too! Too much growy thingys will slow ya down big time, so some scrubbin' along the way is only a good thing.
Old 26-11-2011, 19:53   #320

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Little Monkey, this is my local ride. She's made of plywood and is powered by a 12hp air cooled diesel. She gets me where I want to go, is pretty fast and doesn't eat a lot of fuel. Decent dive platform as well. Seriously LM you really need to get a boat under ya' and have some fun!

Regards,

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ready for sea trials.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	34125  
Old 26-11-2011, 20:24   #321
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Sorry I've been AWOL from here for a while. Zee sucked me into a new thread on Facebook, and I have trouble keeping up with all the socializing!!

I'm just about to leave for parts south with a crew of 2 in tow. Way too cold around here these days. And no single men either!

Zee - looks like we may end up crossing paths somewhere along the Mexican coast. That is unless I have something major break.

Single men - come share our boats!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 27-11-2011, 06:52   #322

hurry south, margo!!!! i have broken things to yet fix--repairs are slow here. glad you have crew!!!! see you over here somewhere.
LOL on the fb group page--i is more active than we are here--- made it for supplementation and f or more instantaneous chatting, as has a chat room ....

i hope our boys get into sailing with gurls soon, would be a lot more funner to do this trip with a partner.....
Old 27-11-2011, 09:57   #323
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking

Easy, I have been thinking sailing since I was a little one. Trouble with a desert is there aren't a lot of sailing opportunities. I am making up for that now. Doing things alone. Did that even when I was married. Got tired of waiting for someone to do things with me so I'd do it anyway. Drives my family nuts as they tend to worry. Silly people. If you aren't on FB you'll have to wait for my story. Seems parts of it is being discovered there.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:07   #324

where is anjou??? we got me, anjou, fly sci, viento, nia......gadagirl found a love--is why i got these dubious honors lol.....y'all can be a handful--i know-i am one of ye!! who else do we have as active cf members(female) of our lil kafe klaatch???
Old 28-11-2011, 17:31   #325
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking

Maybe everyone is out sailing except me.
Old 28-11-2011, 21:34   #326

or mebbe effecting repairs......
Old 28-11-2011, 23:03   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
or mebbe effecting repairs......

If I were a betting man I'd always put my chip on that one. Better odds! Is owning a boat supposed to make you fatalistic?

Old 29-11-2011, 06:07   #328

hummingway--- those of us blessed with formosas MUST repair--- the rest just repair. would only trade this boat for another of her kind, but then i would have to start alll over.
Old 29-11-2011, 08:48   #329
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I was blessed with a PO who was a little negligant, or maybe it was optimism, and so I've been making up for his neglect.

I'm currently having the engine rebuilt which means my raggedy, thin as tissue, genoa is getting a lot more patches before being replaced. Oh, the audacity of the poor, thinking they can be sailboat owners.

Old 29-11-2011, 08:55   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I was blessed with a PO who was a little negligant, or maybe it was optimism, and so I've been making up for his neglect.

I'm currently having the engine rebuilt which means my raggedy, thin as tissue, genoa is getting a lot more patches before being replaced. Oh, the audacity of the poor, thinking they can be sailboat owners.
but, if po' folk, then ye gotta save up for each repair and schedule breakdowns accordingly---- and pray to sea gods very very often..and to gods of genoa, and gods of clews and stitchery and so on.....
mine was owned previously by a boat virgin and left for 4-5 yrs alone....i am still trying to convince her she is loved-- good thing she has fairly inexpensive tastes for a boat..
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle