Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 10:49   #151
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

i put out word to the local "facilitator " to help me find the comfort i seek-- he sed would help, so i will fight for his time..also have a friend here with a truck--we will make an outing of looking for something to use for this particular boat--if i have to trade it later and be at mercies of someone when i get to carib, so be it-- could work out.....but i do need something here to rid air of some of the wetness and reduce indoor temps 2-4 degrees--i even considered a convertible top for this boat-- but isnt really practical. would make it look tooo much like a corvette....
today's temp is 84 at 0800 with 90 percent humididity and more tboomers coming--i can feel the strip of cold air in the hot breezes.

thankyou for linky--i will follow up--i have 2 weeks until payday iffn the big brother chooses to continue paying that which i worked hard to earn
Old 30-07-2011, 10:59   #152

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

I'm in the same boat. On a federal pension that I worked hard for and paid into for 32 years. But, the boat is paid for, the wind is free and the fish are good to eat. I'll survive if I can get this thing in good enough shape to toss off the lines, leave this damn boatyard and put it in the wind.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:02   #153

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Zee.....Just get the window unit and mount it on the cabintop next to a opening hatch. build a plywood plenum and insulate it with a couple of car windshield insulators.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 30-07-2011, 11:05   #154

goood ideas--i will see what i can find withn 3 stops and go for it--mexico is a different kinda place and has many different kinds of thingies to search thru --not many of which are known in us of a.....goood thing is cheap to live here and foods are waaay cheep....i just have to figger out how to trade my knowledge for real cash....or stuff....

and now i have hurrycames to think of-- much windage already and some bigger than life winds spozed to rip thru here---must keep additional windage to minimum, butt he window unit has possibilities...mebbe i can vent it thru my forepeak....or chain locker...or lazarette----.
have been drawing plans in my head to see what might be best as far as layout goes..

then i gotta keep the puter from crapping out on me until the next dubious paycheck arrival.....everything costs about the same amount of dough these days, a/c, netbooks, sail repairs--wow....at least is under 400dollars each..kinda...

gawd i HATE shopping.
Old 30-07-2011, 17:53   #155

ok--saw a coupla portable or not so portable units in santa fe express today-- rated 1 tonedo.... one screwed into an interior wall, and one was portable kinda with 2 water lines--in and out? the portable kinda looking one had a large box fan in it-- these are priced at 2990 pesos, down from 4000-so is time to think about buying.. some more shopping--gawd i hate shopping--and i can gt one.... these weren't any name brand that i know of----mighta been "hecho en chine" kinds-- but then , i am dreaming of air conditioning when i am not dreaming of ice makers these days.....
i still want an overhead hatch kinda deal....got a neighbor to promise me he would help with installation after i get whatever i buy....
Old 30-07-2011, 21:38   #156

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Zee, the one with the water lines running in and out with the big fan is probably what they call a "swamp cooler" in the states. Google it for a description. If that's what it is, it won't remove any humidity from your boat, might even add some. It blows the air over water to remove the heat, sort of like spraying yourself with the hose and standing in the breeze would cool you on a hot day. Mexico is a lousy place to have to buy appliances. The prices are high and the quality low. You'll see the same microwaves that are sold here for around $50.00 being sold there for over $200.00. Stuff that's made in Mexico is pretty cheap there, but if it's imported, it's more expensive.
You could build a frame to put a window unit in your hatchway, but you'd be climbing over it all the time. I have a neighbor who did that and he's happy with it except his dog csn't jump over the AC unit and he has to carry her.
Old 31-07-2011, 06:54   #157

hhmmm--looked different thatn swamp coolers i saw in phx wheni lived there--- is weird--and they called it a tonedo air conditioner.. i am still looking---the one with the fan is waaay tooo big...
today dawned awesome beautiful--we had a wld ride storm last night for 4 hours of wow lightshow and tympany music and poured so goood-- really wrung out the air---natues own dehumidifier. i think humidity now might just be under 80 percent! not sticky for the moment and lovely!! very fresh.
but i am still looking! haveny hit electra or anywhere else as yet. that is for week days.
today is shrimp omelette brunch for 80 pesos at la tremoya, just across the marina from me. yummmmmm.
Old 31-07-2011, 15:00   #158
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Zee, I would recommend that you get something you can lift yourself. When you don't need the AC, you'll want to store it away - especially when sailing. If you want to be able to single hand, you may not want something you need help to set up and take down. Just a thought.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 01-08-2011, 09:09   #159

margo--i fully agree with ye on htat point--i do have a lifting capability -- a loong line with blocks and tackles just for that purpose-- but we unfixed that item when my engine was traded out..LOL.... go figger..... is always a concern-- can i do it meself when there is no one to grab n drag on board for helping....
Old 01-08-2011, 15:00   #160

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Haven't done this in a while, but I think a window type unit that will usually fit in the companionway is a much more cost effective option. RV units are kinda like Marine units. Once they carry the label, the price goes up by 30% or more!

Regards,

Thomas
Old 01-08-2011, 15:18   #161

figgered as much... will be looking for the 200 dollar window unit at electra and finding out more about it asap... i love pair a dice but i dont like the stickiness of not having one lil luxury--i will have only one---a/c LOL
thankyou folks for input. now lets go onward and upward....like the temp in pair a dice....
Old 01-08-2011, 16:28   #162
Eternal Member

Yes - the temp in paradise. I'm a California girl - grew up and spent most of my working life in So. Cal. So living in the sticky air of the east is a real challenge for me.

Do any of you know of beautiful cruising grounds that have a more livable temperate climate? I'm thinking seriously about the east coast of Baja in the winter. But where to go in summer for dry air?

Margo

Old 01-08-2011, 16:29   #163
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

flyfly - are you gonna snail up to Chess and have lunchies and goto boat show in fall?
Old 01-08-2011, 16:44   #164
Eternal Member

Salty,

I haven't really decided. Every mile I go north, I have to come south in the Fall. And since I'll be trying to get across the Carib. Sea and through the canal before the next storm season, I'm concerned about the time.

But I will have some extra time after I get repairs done here, so ya never know. Is that boat show worth the trip? I was at the one at Jack London Sq. a couple years ago - is it like that?

Margo

Old 01-08-2011, 17:32   #165
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

oh i was athinkin the Annapolis show in the fall its the show!!! (Oct 6 i think)...since the stormy season is till november...then every one heads south with sandwiches to carib
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle