Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 21:56   #2191

Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

I intend to buy a sailboat to travel and live aboard, maybe a catamaran.
Would like to meet woman around 40 wishing to share such dream.
I have a legal certification to sail any leisure boat of length up to 72 feet anywhere in the world.
In the summer of 2017 alone I have sailed 1600 nmiles in sailboats (30 & 42 feet), of which 1200 nmiles off-shore: from Oporto to Lisbon to Porto Santo island in Portugal; and from Gran Canaria island to Fuerteventura and Lanzarote islands and then to Madeira island and to Rabat in Morocco.

I am quite used to traveling and living abroad, since I have lived in several countries — 6 years in Italy, 5 years in Spain, 6 months in Paris, several months in London, apart from the rest of my life in Portugal —, have visited many other countries in Europe, North America, North Africa and Asia; and speak fluently 5 different languages — English, French, Spanish, Italian, besides Portuguese and a very little bit of German and Russian.

What are the qualities I most appreciate in a woman ? Intelligence, tenderness, intuition, sensitivity, balance. The same qualities that I appreciate in myself.
In a couple, I do not like neither to dominate nor to be dominated, I hate conflicts and like friendly cooperation with mutual respect, understanding and love.

I am a very early bird: typically I wake up at 5 in the morning and sleep many hours, hence go early to bed. In particular I do not enjoy much night-life, unless it is to go out dancing once in a while ... which I absolutely love.

I have always been a sports person, and I have done 1 to 2 hours of physical exercise (almost) every morning during the last 3 decades. Depending on where I am staying, I do it either on bike or else walking. Living currently in a mountainous island (Madeira, which has received several touristic awards in recent years: Europe’s Leading Island Destination 2013, 2014, 2016 & 2017 and World’s Leading Island Destination 2016 & 2017), I walk every morning 8 km=5 miles in 100 minutes, from the ocean up the mountain until an altitude of 700 meters=2,300 feet, watching daylight beat darkness little by little, before taking a bus downhill. Here one may even walk from the ocean up to 1800 meters=6,000 feet in 6 hours, and I have done it many times. Often I walk alone, but it’s always better to have another person with me.

All my life I have loved the ocean: swimming, diving, ... and started sailing at age 12, when my father bought a small sailing boat in which we — me, my elder brother and my younger brother, together with our parents — sailed in Lisbon river or ocean waters on weekends; and also during each month of August in our family vacations in Algarve, the south of Portugal. At 16 I have started scuba-diving, I even taught it. At age 24 I have owned a 26 ft sailing boat, together with my then wife and another couple with a kid.

I have also done several other sports, namely underwater fish-hunting, mountaineering & wall-climbing, down-hill & plane skiing, speleology, parapente, ... All these are sports performed in nature, not spectators-sports like football, which I never enjoyed practicing or watching.

Having been (long ago) a computer programmer professionally for 7 years, I deal well with computers; and nowadays it is on my two iPads that my daily life depends a lot.
I am also reasonably handy with tools, for example I have mounted myself my own kitchen, after buying this apartment where I currently live.
I am able to cook simple & tasty things, but prefer not to cook.

My body has a strong tendency to gain weight, particularly under much stress, this being one of the reasons for my daily physical exercise. Indeed, with 178 cm=5 ft 10 height I have topped my weight at 110 kg=242 lb in 2004; but have managed to lose 30 kgs=66 lb along the 3 subsequent years. Thus my weight has been under control below 80 kg=176 lb since 2008; apart from 2016, year in which stress in my life lead me to lose control and reach 92 kg=203 lb. However, a strict diet during the summer of 2017 got me again under 80 kg.

Thus I appreciate people who are either naturally thin or else — as myself — control effectively their weight, using a strict diet whenever necessary.
Indeed, weight-control seems to me absolutely essential to maintain good health after 40. Namely myself I have had some diseases due to overweight, but have been able to make them disappear without using drugs, namely just by losing 30 kg and by performing physical exercise on a daily basis.

Nowadays I usually do not take any pharmaceutical medicine, since to keep me in good health it suffices, besides physical exercise and healthy food, to take some adequate daily supplements — like multivitamins, vitamin B, lots of vitamin C, magnesium, garlic oil, fish oil, ...
Namely I have been prescribed in 2016 some drug to lower cholesterol. But, having read about the dangerous side-effects this drug might have, my reaction was to ignore it and say to myself (what the doctor himself should have told me, was he not paid by the pharmaceutical industry to sell drugs): that what was really wrong with me was excess of weight and lack of physical exercise !

My dream is to travel around the world on a sailing boat. However, besides feeling lonely to travel on my own, I also feel that life in general becomes much more interesting and rewarding in case you share it with someone which you love and respect, a woman to share with me tenderness, sex, intelectual conversations, adventures at sea & in weird countries, sports, ...
I have been on my own for almost a year now and it feels so lonely ...
Old 10-11-2017, 16:42   #2192

Send a message via AIM to cradlemountain

I am not sure where I can post MY BIOG FOR A SAIL MATE? and in the threads forum my photo dose not come up? Can someone help me please? Love to find a mate who loves or lives in Tasmania, Australia, but I also love the US and earth in general to sail and live, hahahah!
Old 11-11-2017, 07:41   #2193
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlemountain View Post
I am not sure where I can post MY BIOG FOR A SAIL MATE? and in the threads forum my photo dose not come up? Can someone help me please? Love to find a mate who loves or lives in Tasmania, Australia, but I also love the US and earth in general to sail and live, hahahah!
sail mate or SOULmate?
this is single sailors seeking SOULmates. there can be a difference, as sailmates donot require singlehood or commitment.
membership in ssssm is moderated by me, keeping the interests in the membership at heart.
IFF you are interested in soulmate not merely a married soul with urge to find someone with whom to sail, this is site, if you wish to merely find a sailmate, look to crew listings and crew finding sites.
for a dating service find pof and match dot com.
thankyou.
here in this thread we converse about everything and non members are welcome to chime in, as it is a cf off topic thread.
Old 14-12-2017, 11:27   #2194

Boat: Windward marine Sea Raker 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
I'm curious Bdozz what constitutes the proper paperwork in the eyes of officialdom in Michigan? We'll be doing the great loop as soon as I find the proper power boat to do it in that I can reasonably afford!
I'm not sure Yachts, if you are just passing through what ever registration papers you have from the state you are registered in I would suspect. They didn't like what I had because the boat was never registered in Michigan, and they didn't consider the letter the P.O. sent me a good bill of sale I think.
Old 14-12-2017, 11:34   #2195

So we made it through the channel and out onto the lake. When we got a few miles out, and out of traffic we decided to put up the sails and see if we could get her to move. Before we left I'd tried to ask a couple of sailors to help us figure out which jib we should be using, but the people there were obviously not the polite helpful sailors I read so much about on this forum.
Old 14-12-2017, 11:37   #2196

Pinstripe Dave and I put Tater at the helm and had him point us into the wind while we hoisted the sails, this went pretty smooth once we pulled the jib back down and hung it right side up lol.
Old 14-12-2017, 11:40   #2197

We got lucky with the sail choice as what I thought we had picked was the working jib when we got it up it turned out to be a huge Genoa, but the winds were pretty much nonexistent so it turned out to be the right choice.
Old 16-12-2017, 09:49   #2198
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailing is fun, and funner with each new skill learned. this is a lifestyle or sport or pass-time or whatever it is to each of us that is a constant bed of learning.
as a lifestyle, cruisers live on the edge, if you consider a problem becomes a disaster in short order when left untended. we all learn how to prevent these disasters as we go, and each is different from the rest, so our encyclopedia of knowledge ever expands.
as a hobby, SAILING IS FUN!!!!!!
are you learning yet to read the weather both as maps and as reality around ye??
i love watching folks learn cool stuff. i almost forgot the feeling of first time sailing eleanor on the hudson river, back in 1955 -- when we had no wind we learned fathoms and chart reading, marking twain, holding to compass course and how to read weather in the sky, and proper responsibility. oh yeah and anchoring to a line squall and what to do at sea in similar situation in an engineless gaff rigged sloop.
our uncle , aka instructor, made even line squalls fun.
there is much to relearn between gaff rigging and marconi ketch, and engineless to aux diesel powering... and much first time learning as well, as we never fully learn this stuff.

now is holiday season for many different peoples. would be extra cool for full time cruisers to see pix of holiday season in your current locale...
Old 16-12-2017, 14:57   #2199

We got the sails up, we could not get the Genoa up all the way, I found out later that the stopper for the roller fueling had slid down a few feet and got stuck. After a little bit of playing around with the sheets we actually got to sailing rather well for 3 guys that don't know what they're doing, we averaged about 5 knots with very little wind. We had set a compass course and had a handheld GPS and everything was going well. I tried to get everyone to take turns napping, but we were all having too much fun.
Old 16-12-2017, 14:59   #2200

Then we learned about the dreaded biting black flies on lake Michigan, about 10 miles off shore they come at you by the thousands.
Old 17-12-2017, 14:41   #2201

After fighting with the flies and putting on long pants, socks and long sleeve shirts , we didn't get comfortable, but resigned ourselves to there presence, we sat back for several hours of smooth sailing. Towards evening we tuned the vhf for the weather and wave report once again being reassured that the storms weren't going to happen, and that the waves were going to raise a little from 1 to 2 feet to 2 to 3.
Old 17-12-2017, 14:45   #2202

I had decided before we left to take the sails down before dark as the wind was supposed to change direction that night and I thought it would be safer for us to just motor then try to learn to sail in the dark lol.
Old 17-12-2017, 14:50   #2203

At dusk, I said we should take them down , but Pinstripe Dave and I were hungry so we decided to have a sandwich first. I think that was the dumbest thing we did on the whole trip because one of the first things I learned when we got out on the lake was I got a little naucious in the cabin and also when I looked up at the wind indicator.
Old 17-12-2017, 14:58   #2204

So Dave and I made our sandwiches and had a pleasant supper watching a large ship several miles off and then proceeded to go up on deck to bring down the sails. I don't know about you seasoned sailors, but I had to spend a lot of time looking up to get the sails down, and the lake seemed to have picked the exact time that we were having some issues with the main to kick the waves up from the 2 footers we had all day to 4 footers.
Old 17-12-2017, 15:09   #2205

Luckily Dave didn't seem to be having the same problem with his supper as I was, he ended up finishing putting the sail cover on by himself while I went and curled up in the cockpit trying to get my head and stomach to stop spinning. By this time it was dark and about 10 pm , I asked Tater and Pinstripe Dave if they wanted to sleep yet but they both said no , so I went below and after asking God not to let me get my friends killed on one of my cockamamy adventures I let the Suzy Q rock me peacefully to sleep.
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle