Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 08:56   #196
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

That screamin meemie is coming straight for ME - YIKES!

In about an hour I'll be moving my boat from the marina where I've been staying (in New Bern, NC) to another which is up a small creek, and will haul it out and put on the hard. Should be safer there. May fall over but at least can't blow onto a lee shore and sink!

Wish me luck all. Right now I REALLY wish I had someone else on board to help me out.

Zee, take Oct, Nov and Dec to see Maz, then leave for Panama. The weather should be fine by then, and you should be able to see most of what's there to see in 3 months, and still have plenty of time to get south of hurricanes in time, and stop to see some stuff on the way.

Now, getting crew for the trip is a separate issue. You and I both "have always depended on the kindness of strangers"! [with a southern accent]

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 25-08-2011, 10:28   #197

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Be careful not to wait too long. Those pesky stormymonsters little monkey mentioned can seriously ruin your day! To me, the further south you go, the prettier and nicer it gets too!

Regards,

Thomas
Old 25-08-2011, 10:33   #198
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

flyfly! Yes indeed take out and make sure you tie any stands together!! And maybe take mast off? I dunno...but strip everything off boaty deck...sails and radar detectors and flypaper!
Old 25-08-2011, 10:41   #199

Margo, in the Caribbean they dig a trench about the depth of your keel, then lower your boat into the trench, that way your boat can't fall over! If it works there..... just sayin'

In any case, little monkey is right, remove everything, particularly your sails, even your sails on your roller furling....unless you're wanting an insurance claim to help pay for new sails that is!

Regards,

Thomas
Old 25-08-2011, 12:08   #200

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
That screamin meemie is coming straight for ME - YIKES!

In about an hour I'll be moving my boat from the marina where I've been staying (in New Bern, NC) to another which is up a small creek, and will haul it out and put on the hard. Should be safer there. May fall over but at least can't blow onto a lee shore and sink!

Wish me luck all. Right now I REALLY wish I had someone else on board to help me out.

Zee, take Oct, Nov and Dec to see Maz, then leave for Panama. The weather should be fine by then, and you should be able to see most of what's there to see in 3 months, and still have plenty of time to get south of hurricanes in time, and stop to see some stuff on the way.

Now, getting crew for the trip is a separate issue. You and I both "have always depended on the kindness of strangers"! [with a southern accent]

Margo
Hey I have a new england accent and I can help, sorry I'm tending to me own stuff or I'd help out Margo

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 25-08-2011, 14:14   #201
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

margo--make sure ye are anchored to ground at 4 points so surge dont carry ye away. then after boat is bedded nice, find land home for a bit of time until hurry came goes away. make boat safe and you safer.
Old 25-08-2011, 16:47   #202
Eternal Member

So my boat's out of the water now and up on stands chained together. The yard is way up a creek so no fetch, and surrounded by trees to break the wind, so I think she'll be fine. Me and my kitty Wallace are tucked into a hotel, so I think we'll be OK too. I still need to go back to the boat in the morning to finish stripping a few things, but then I can just kick back enjoy cable TV, hot showers, and watch the storm from my window! Yee-haw!

Margo

Old 25-08-2011, 16:49   #203

stay safe, margo-- i hope all is well .... be safe.
Old 25-08-2011, 16:50   #204
cruiser

flyfly! Make sure you throw a mattress against the windows so the glass don't break on flysci.

SaltyMonkey is glad you found a place to tuck your boaty, and I do hope you strip everything and get boom inside and all is minimalist and wind-friewndly for Storm Monstors.

OH! Don't put boaty in ground because the termites will eat it!

SaltyMonkey YAYAYAYAAY!!@!@!@!@ FLYSCI!!!!!!!
Old 31-08-2011, 13:18   #205
Eternal Member

So, Irene was intense for about 24hrs. A lot of areas here have been without power for a while. A number of boats in the area were damaged. One in the marina I left sank (a PB). In the yard where I hauled out, Duck Creek, about 10 sailboats were knocked off their stands, suffering varying amounts of damage, some serious. But my baby is OK. The marina where my boat was, Bridgepoint, had quite a bit of damage to the docks and they have told most people they need to leave. The docks have structural damage, and there's no power. So I can't go back there. Duck Creek is still catching up, and my boat won't get splashed for another couple of days. No telling at this point where I might end up after I get back on my boat. If anyone has any suggestions, my ears and mind are open. Go north? Go south? Stay in NC? Think, Margo, think!

Between the hotels, haul out, and rental cars this will be a very expensive event for me. But considering the serious problems others have faced, that will be a minor inconvenience. Me, my cat and my boat all fared very well, so I'm very thankful.

I hope if I ever have to face something like this again, I have a partner along to share the challenges.

Good times and fair winds to all,
Margo

Old 31-08-2011, 13:23   #206

goodluck margo--i am seeing storms forming to come eat us her ein maz--- one on yukkytan will dissipate into thun der storms and meet the frormin gone coming up from zihuateneo.....will be a wet weekend... mebbe a lil windy too....i will be placing tarps under boom and wrapping my main boom and mizzen boom with lines and making topsides less wind attractive. everything else has been done except adding fuel to tank.
Old 31-08-2011, 15:28   #207
cruiser

Good news (sort of) flysci. My vote is to wait a bit for another storm is brewing...seriously don't think it will come close but you nabber know.

Otherwise, head north! Go Chessy. Then US Sailboat Show in Annapolis on October 6th! YAY! PLus beautiful fall!...then maybe Bahamamas again?
Old 31-08-2011, 16:22   #208

looks like the yukkytan one is mebbe gonna visit our friends in teejass..mebbe, unless it changes its mined
Old 31-08-2011, 21:48   #209
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Go Chessy. Then US Sailboat Show in Annapolis on October 6th! YAY! PLus beautiful fall!...then maybe Bahamamas again?
Yeah, Chessy and the boat show could be fun. But I'm hoping to head for Panama as soon as those hurry canes stop blowing. Maybe meet up with Zeezee!

Old 31-08-2011, 22:31   #210

I'm with the Go North crowd this time of year. The Hudson river might be a nice place to explore and there are many places to stay there. The Chesapeake is neat, but I've never liked all those pesky jelly fish that gum up the works every now and then. That said, there are lots of places to drop your hook and stay a while. Panama for sure next season. The San Blas Islands are primo!! Check out Project BlueSphere - A solo circumnavigation & video documentation of the globe he's in Panama now.

Tags
paracelle