Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 17:53   #166

Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
So living in the sticky air of the east is a real challenge for me.
Indeed. I will wholeheartedly second that one. The difference between a hundred plus in Cali and 75 in FL is quite extreme. I much prefer the hundred plus. The unfortunate part is the craziness out there, though, expense, congestion, and remoteness of everything not right on the coast. I have no idea what the view is like from a boat, however.

It does seem to be a definite trade-off. The best cruising waters seems to be the most humid. Another reason for me to continue adapting to it, grumble, grumble.
Old 01-08-2011, 19:12   #167
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Teacher,

I don't notice it so much when I'm out on the open water, sailing. But when in a slip, I find it so hard to get any work done on the boat when even breathing is hard and the sweat is running in my eyes and everywhere.

Maybe the coast of Chile? Galapagos?

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 01-08-2011, 19:18   #168

Quote:
Teacher,

I don't notice it so much when I'm out on the open water, sailing. But when in a slip, I find it so hard to get any work done on the boat when even breathing is hard and the sweat is running in my eyes and everywhere.

Margo
Corfu, Greece was an awesome little spot. It's a beautiful island just off the coast of the mainland. If you decide to head over there, let me know. I will provide primo slave labor.
Old 01-08-2011, 19:27   #169

Quote:
Teacher,

Margo
Ok, seriously. That is good to hear, well, the first half. I know what yer sayin about the second half, though. It was 117 or so when I left Cali and I don't remember sweating. I got to P'cola a couple days later and it was about 75. The sweat poured off my nose as I sifted through goodies in my truck.

I have had concerns about cruising over here for just that reason. I appreciate your view about the feeling out there. I will just have to adjust to the damn 'breathing through a wet towel' when I am stopped.
Old 01-08-2011, 19:32   #170
Eternal Member

Teach, How/why'd you end up in Florida? -Margo

Old 01-08-2011, 19:43   #171

Quote:
Teach, How/why'd you end up in Florida? -Margo
I would normally think to make this an email, so as not to clutter the thread, but this thread seems an exception.

It is a long and winding road. Long story short, I am here to help my kids through school and then I can get back to selfish concerns, which is living on a sailboat, traveling, experiencing cultures, and teaching.

How/why'd you end up in FL?
Old 01-08-2011, 20:28   #172
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtheteacher View Post
How/why'd you end up in FL?
I took a job in Cambridge with a scientific database called "FlyBase", housed at Harvard. My son was there at the time doing a post-doctoral stint in physics, and I thought it would be nice to be close to him for a while. But then I caught the sailing bug, and the boat I bought was in Florida. I've stayed on the east coast, cruising in Florida and in the Bahamas since I bought the boat, quit my job, and ran away to sea. Now I'm hoping to get back to eh Pacific this winter.

Margo

Old 01-08-2011, 20:49   #173

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
I took a job in Cambridge with a scientific database called "FlyBase", housed at Harvard. My son was there at the time doing a post-doctoral stint in physics, and I thought it would be nice to be close to him for a while. But then I caught the sailing bug, and the boat I bought was in Florida. I've stayed on the east coast, cruising in Florida and in the Bahamas since I bought the boat, quit my job, and ran away to sea. Now I'm hoping to get back to eh Pacific this winter.

Margo
Come on over. It's a lot dryer here, but, uh, there aren't near as many flies. Doctoral offspring at Hahvud? Impressive. But, wherever you go, there you are.

Hi, Teach! You are very welcome to the fray, which many of us aren't even sure we're still in, whether we are fraying or just frayed. Hell, could even be fraid.
Old 01-08-2011, 20:53   #174

Quote:

Margo
That's a bit of a trip. Do you have crew to assist? I would volunteer, but I have an internship in the fall and then hope to do a Mariner school at the first of the year.
Old 01-08-2011, 21:18   #175
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtheteacher View Post
Do you have crew to assist?
Not yet, I don't. But I could sure use some help. I will want at least 1 crew on board for the crossings - I don't do so well without my beauty sleep! Haha. 2 would be better, but I'd settle for one skilled, reliable crew. I'll be posting an ad in the crew wanted section here on CF soon.

Margo

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03   #176
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

margo --somany flies here----lolyou woulpd be in heaven!!!!
is muggy as hail, but with the air conditioner i willbe getting in a week's time, should be better while i am at dock awaiting named storm season's end. then the humidity will be tolerable and the heat less and sailing and anchoring will be blessed. i shouldnt need an a/c unit whle on anchor--in fla i noticed was hot and some humidity butnot like here--is really muggy here. but is a price t pay for pair a dice. at least foods and such ar e less pricey here and life is liveable.
more lightning storms here than fla, also. and they are more intense. is fun to watch as long as tarps dont get toooo blown to shreds.
margo--you would love sea of cortez. is dryer and hotter than here --we get 90 F with 90+ % humidity. flies and skeeters LOVE it here.
is beautiful. food is yummmy. booze is cheap. food is cheap. life is great!
Old 03-08-2011, 17:42   #177

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
margo --somany flies here----lolyou woulpd be in heaven!!!!
is muggy as hail, but with the air conditioner i willbe getting in a week's time, should be better while i am at dock awaiting named storm season's end. then the humidity will be tolerable and the heat less and sailing and anchoring will be blessed. i shouldnt need an a/c unit whle on anchor--in fla i noticed was hot and some humidity butnot like here--is really muggy here. but is a price t pay for pair a dice. at least foods and such ar e less pricey here and life is liveable.
more lightning storms here than fla, also. and they are more intense. is fun to watch as long as tarps dont get toooo blown to shreds.
margo--you would love sea of cortez. is dryer and hotter than here --we get 90 F with 90+ % humidity. flies and skeeters LOVE it here.
is beautiful. food is yummmy. booze is cheap. food is cheap. life is great!
Karen, I find that you are not accepting PM's anymore. I found a photo of an AC unit like I described installed on a Fuji 40. Really slick looking. PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32   #178
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i will make you a contact then i will get 'pm's...and 'puter on last legs.... will be a week before new one.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13   #179

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i will make you a contact then i will get 'pm's...and 'puter on last legs.... will be a week before new one.
Very good. Just let me know when. The photo includes the couple who own the boat and I'm not sure they'd appreciate me putting it up on a public forum.
Hot as hell here today. Pickup tossed the idler pulley off the engine yesterday and I'm stuck waiting for the part. Decided to take apart my old Ritchie compass, see why it has a bubble, fix it and refill it with compass fluid. All went well til the refilling part. Tried to use plastic medicine syringes. The stuff eats them. Wound up using a little funnel. Good thing I bought plenty. May however have cleaned some stains off the formica buffet top in my galley.
Old 06-08-2011, 19:44   #180

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Back to the AC conversation: I lived aboard in Houston for a time and never had AC. When it was too hot, I'd just slip out to the bay and sleep on deck. As long as I was 1/4 or so from land no skeeters seemed to come out to eat me and all was well with the world. A wind scoop on the foredeck hatch was a great help to blow the heat out from down below too! Now where Zee is in Mazatlan maybe another story. I think that places is related to hell is many ways, but I still think a window AC unit in the companionway is the best low cost AC alternative around. A small Honda genset will usually power a window AC unit as well for those times you're on the hook.

Regards,

Thomas

Tags
paracelle