Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 08:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Spratly Islands, a real potential HOT spot

I had an old friend warn me years ago about the potential flash point that these islands in the South China Sea could be. We've let our guard down while screwing around in the middle east, and now we are at a tough spot to reverse the damage. China is in control of a major navigation route utilized in round the world shipping,...

....new video with a good synopsis

Why China is building islands in the South China Sea
China claims they aren't military bases, but its actions say otherwise.

http://www.vox.com/videos/2017/2/17/...sea-us-islands
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 09:11   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Spratly Islands, a real potential HOT spot

Administration needs a hot war distraction quickly anyway, between Iran and China, whichever gives a pretext first wins.

Big boost to the economy will be a nice bonus. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 19:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Just what we need,...another stupid mistake like Iraq
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 19:49   #4

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

China believes the whole SE Asian sea should be under their control, and the Philippines should just be happy that China is only taking over a few atolls.
And yes they are Chinese Navy bases set up to control the region. They also do not recognize any US presence in the area and believe that the US should stay away from Asian waters.
Whether we agree or not, this is their agenda and they have the power to make it happen. There is no SE Asian country that is strong enough to oppose them, and the US is not about to go to war over it.

I personally would avoid sailing anywhere close to these disputed islands as the Chinese patrol boats are not friendly to cruisers.
Old 18-02-2017, 20:11   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
the US is not about to go to war over it.
Says who? What is this single-minded entity "the US" of which you speak?

Armaments manufacturers, military / intelligence / security contractors and their lobbyists, the top x% interested in wealth and power above all else on the one hand

Those who genuinely care about the interests of the common people on the other

Who holds the real power?

They don't need a real reason, just a pretext. Gulf of Tonkin, remember the Maine?

The rich get richer, the corrupt political operators strengthen their hold on power, US dominance is asserted, excess labor gets trimmed. . .

Seems inevitable, and not far off, the more the administration's looking shaky, sooner they need the distraction, we won't want to change horses mid stream.

Only question is maybe the middle east remains a softer less risky target.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 01:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Says who? What is this single-minded entity "the US" of which you speak?

Armaments manufacturers, military / intelligence / security contractors and their lobbyists, the top x% interested in wealth and power above all else on the one hand

Those who genuinely care about the interests of the common people on the other

Who holds the real power?

They don't need a real reason, just a pretext. Gulf of Tonkin, remember the Maine?

The rich get richer, the corrupt political operators strengthen their hold on power, US dominance is asserted, excess labor gets trimmed. . .

Seems inevitable, and not far off, the more the administration's looking shaky, sooner they need the distraction, we won't want to change horses mid stream.

Only question is maybe the middle east remains a softer less risky target.
From that rant' I think I can guess your political leanings fairly accurately.

Here which one would you like:

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 02:53   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think you will find Asia much more practical in managing conflicts than in the Middle East.

Not helpful when Breitbart's Steve Bannon predicts war in the next 5 to 10 years.

This may be why the Philippines are pivoting away from the U S

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/11/24/...ppines-analyst
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 04:03   #8

From an outside view it appears that war is an important part of the USA's economic strategy and has been for many years.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 05:52   #9

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
From an outside view it appears that war is an important part of the USA's economic strategy and has been for many years.
The British Empire held Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Western Samoa, India, Burma, Papa New Guinea, Malaya, Sarawak, Brunei, Oman, Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Sudan, Kenya, Uganda, Northern and Southern Rhodesia, Tanganyika, Zanzibar, Mauritius, the Maldives, South Africa, Swaziland, Nigeria, Gold Coast, and Sierra Leone, among other countries during its reign. It has also held a portion of the present day United States and China.

Was it done without conflict or subjugation? Seems quite the benefit. And I don't recall and recent wars the U.S. was involved in alone.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 06:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
The British Empire held Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Western Samoa, India, Burma, Papa New Guinea, Malaya, Sarawak, Brunei, Oman, Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Sudan, Kenya, Uganda, Northern and Southern Rhodesia, Tanganyika, Zanzibar, Mauritius, the Maldives, South Africa, Swaziland, Nigeria, Gold Coast, and Sierra Leone, among other countries during its reign. It has also held a portion of the present day United States and China.

Was it done without conflict or subjugation? Seems quite the benefit. And I don't recall and recent wars the U.S. was involved in alone.
No I agree the USA always found some willing partners including us but we drew the line on Iraq, even we Billy Bob Canadians couldn't bring ourselves to believe the BS stories about Weapons of Mass Destruction plus what did Iraq have to do with the terrorists in Afghanistan? Great war for the military subcontractors in the USA though. The downside was that war singlehandedly created ISIS and all the current huge problems in the middle east. If you look at your history since WW2 you will find only small gaps between wars your country has participated in, just the way it is. We always support your country unless it's drop dead obvious that it's just wrong.
Old 19-02-2017, 06:34   #11

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

All of which is true. But to complain the U.S. is always starting wars when the UK has been stealing entire countries and their resources through aggression and subjugation for its entire existence is disingenuous. Just sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 07:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
the UK has been stealing entire countries and their resources through aggression and subjugation for its entire existence is disingenuous.
I do think it clear that a lot of the political problems that we're dealing with today and have dealt with in the last 50-100 years evolved from the UKs traditional colonial policies. How many "countries" did they create around the world from disparate groups that happened to live in the same region? Groups that often did not share language, culture or religion and in many cases hated each other or were hereditary enemies.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 08:07   #13

Boat: hydrostream
Thumbs up Re: Spratly Islands, a real potential HOT spot

I had an old friend warn me years ago about the potential flash point that these islands in the South China Sea could be. We've let our guard down while screwing around in the middle east, and now we are at a tough spot to reverse the damage. China is in control of a major navigation route utilized in round the world shipping,...

Was his name Tom Clancy ?
Old 19-02-2017, 08:15   #14

Quote:
All of which is true. But to complain the U.S. is always starting wars when the UK has been stealing entire countries and their resources through aggression and subjugation for its entire existence is disingenuous. Just sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.
I can't debate your position either as the British did indeed steal other countries, having said that they came on the heels of the Spanish and Portuguese. I can say if given a choice of who was going to steal my country I would choose Britain. Their laws and institutions are what contributed to where we are today. Nope no chip on my shoulder, always enjoy debating someone who informs himself
Old 19-02-2017, 08:25   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
No I agree the USA always found some willing partners including us but we drew the line on Iraq, even we Billy Bob Canadians couldn't bring ourselves to believe the BS stories about Weapons of Mass Destruction plus what did Iraq have to do with the terrorists in Afghanistan? Great war for the military subcontractors in the USA though. The downside was that war singlehandedly created ISIS and all the current huge problems in the middle east. If you look at your history since WW2 you will find only small gaps between wars your country has participated in, just the way it is. We always support your country unless it's drop dead obvious that it's just wrong.
Actually canada was quite heavily involved in Iraq . They are also rather heavily involved in the military activities in Afghanistan as well
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cana...fghanistan_War