Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 00:46   #166

Boat: Still Ogling
Re: Spain and Ebola: Discuss

I live and work in NYC. I work in the TV / film industry. Got a text for a job around 12:30AM (see photo below).

In case you are unable to view the photo: Early this morning FOX News is going to record a segment on the Ebola virus in NYC. They will be doing the segment on the actual airplane that the nurse with Ebola was on a few days ago (note: I am assuming it was the nurse, Amber Vinson, who is reported to have flown while infected with the virus).

Seems like a poor idea to me to claim that the airplane has been cleaned (by who? under what stringent conditions? where is the proof of this?), and then put it immediately back into service before all of the details are out on this issue and then fly it promptly to NYC.

My sincerest hope is that this thing runs out of steam effective immediately, and that no one else presents with symptoms. This is one of those situations where it is fantastic to be incorrect (assuming you're worried about the virus spreading).

Arguments abound on either side of this thing and there is no 'winning' the argument. There is only preparation or lack thereof depending on one's own personal beliefs and judgment (and of course plenty of spirited internet debates on the topic).

One thing is for sure though; We will know in a few months who is right and who is wrong, and I desperately hope that this thing is as hard to catch as they keep telling me.

~Stuck in NYC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hahahahah.png
Views:	129
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	89848  
Old 17-10-2014, 06:04   #167
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

EEEK!

Why are they bothering to do a walk through of a plane anyway? Is THIS news???

Heres a seat she sat in. Here is a *cough* toilet she crapped in.
Old 17-10-2014, 06:07   #168
cruiser

Six Reasons to Panic | The Weekly Standard

Sailing related:
Dallas Health Care Worker Who Handled Lab Specimen From Ebola Patient Quarantined On Caribbean Cruise Ship « CBS DC
Old 17-10-2014, 06:44   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Even the headline on the first is just irresponsible. One particular claim, that Ebola can survive "for up to 3 weeks on hard surfaces," is completely unsubstantiated. From CDC http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html:

How long does Ebola live outside the body?

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

Also http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/r...ebola-eng.php:

"One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20°C and 25°C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa)"

On the second (sailing note), this is a lab tech, who almost certainly "handled" a sealed specimen -- 19 days ago and has so far shown no symptoms. There's almost zero chance he/she has the virus. But, why not throw it out there just to mix things up?
Old 17-10-2014, 07:13   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
On the second (sailing note), this is a lab tech, who almost certainly "handled" a sealed specimen -- 19 days ago and has so far shown no symptoms. There's almost zero chance he/she has the virus. But, why not throw it out there just to mix things up?

You obviously don't know much about hospital procedures regarding the handling of specimens. The outside of the specimen container (blood, feces, urine, sputum) is considered contaminated... because it is. The person taking the specimen handles the container using contaminated gloves, then it's placed inside a plastic bag or secondary container for transport. So the technician on the receiving end is totally dependent on the technique used by the worker on the giving end as to whether or not the plastic bag/container is also contaminated on the outside.

Ken, RN
Old 17-10-2014, 07:15   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You obviously don't know much about hospital procedures regarding the handling of specimens. The outside of the specimen container (blood, feces, urine, sputum) is considered contaminated... because it is. The person taking the specimen handles the container using contaminated gloves, then it's placed inside a plastic bag or secondary container for transport. So the technician on the receiving end is totally dependent on the technique used by the worker on the giving end as to whether or not the plastic bag/container is also contaminated on the outside.

Ken, RN
And, it's been 19 days.
Old 17-10-2014, 07:20   #172
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
And, it's been 19 days.
here is one for those in denial

Ebo-Lie: Man Living In Ghana Confirms Ebola Is A Hoax! | Spirit Science and Metaphysics
Old 17-10-2014, 07:29   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Denial of what? This is a serious epidemic, in West Africa -- one that needs to be brought under control. I've never said anything different.

I just don't choose to panic. It's not airborne and it won't be. If you're not a health care worker, you're very unlikely to get it here in the U.S. Period.

Sorry if the facts don't jive with your hysteria.
Old 17-10-2014, 07:43   #174

Seriously. Why panic? It's not like this disease can make your nipples bleed.

Personally, I find it comforting when I am told we can prevent a "serious" outbreak in the US. Minor outbreaks, which apparently can't be prevented from happening, have never been much of a concern for me.
Old 17-10-2014, 07:44   #175

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

It has been reported that Ebola continues to persist in the testicles and semen for several weeks after the victim has "recovered". So we know Ebola lasts a long time NEXT to something that CAN be hard......
Old 17-10-2014, 07:49   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
It has been reported that Ebola continues to persist in the testicles and semen for several weeks after the victim has "recovered". So we know Ebola lasts a long time NEXT to something that CAN be hard......
you and sneuman should get together I'm sure you would make a great couple
Old 17-10-2014, 07:55   #177

Well, I know it might seem odd, but I told all my friends, the first thing I want to do when I visit America is to see the Pentagon. It's been my dream since I was a little girl. To go to America and see the Pentagon. My friends all said no, you must go to Times Square and see a show on Broadway. But I said no, I must go to the Pentagon first. Then I will go New York!

Ebola Scare at Pentagon After Woman Who Was Recently in Africa Vomits on Tour Bus « CBS DC
Old 17-10-2014, 08:09   #178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Controlling Ebola fears - Health - CBC Player
An interesting interview of a doctor (medical officer for a part of Ontario) who was through the SARS situation and why we "shouldn't" panic. He doesn't believe that there can be a sustained outbreak in NA. He believes that mainly health care providers are in danger of contracting the disease and that the disease is very difficult to transmit until the patient is very ill.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:57   #179

Boat: Various

I don't find words of comfort to be comforting when they come from people who have already destroyed their own credibility by telling us things that didn't turn out to be true. Nor, do I get much comfort from those who clearly did a very poor job in handling the situation in Dallas and were very much unprepared.

I'm not panicking but I'm also not comfortable with any of it. The CDC told a nurse who was already running a fever it was fine to get on a plane. Now hundreds of people are scared. School systems in Texas have shut down over students who may have been exposed. And the person who handled the specimen, we now find on a cruise ship and they're one of the "at risk" persons, even if considered a mild risk. It may be mild when it's someone else but it's sure not mild when it's you.

Nina Pham has spoken and appeared to be recovering nicely and expressing confidence, but she's been transferred to NIH and they list her condition as "fair." The doctor there is hopeful the plasma from Dr. Brantly will help her. But he reiterates that “This is a virus that really wreaks havoc on you… This virus knocks you out." Pham is fatigued and having vomiting, diarrhea, fever and rash. There is no part of any of that which comforts me.

And now, another possible case in Dallas at another hospital. They have been "screened positive" meaning all the symptoms and they have been exposed, but no labs verifying yet as that takes up to three days.

I'm in Florida but I've been reading Dallas newspapers to try to put myself mentally in their situation and I feel a whole lot differently when I do than sitting here "safe" in Florida. I put myself in what I understand as the situation in West Africa and I'm terrified.

So, I'll reserve my comfort until the "experts" show by their actions and results they've making progress and know what they're doing. Not at all interested in reassurances by those who reassured the health care workers in Dallas.
Old 17-10-2014, 09:16   #180
cruiser

They're saying her symptoms could have been started from last Friday, not Monday. Who's to say her temperature wasn't mis-measured? Who's to say a 99.x temp is a reliable GO/NO GO given this strain, or that her temp didn't rise to 104 F once she got on that plane, or she lied just to GTF out of Cincinnati or wherever she was?

I don't trust anything.

I've read in other places the virus CAN live outside the body for 2-3 days and pointed a Drexel study that the 21 day isolation is too short.
Closed Thread

Tags
Spain, spain