Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 16:27   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Spain and Ebola: Discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
C'mon atoll lets keep it real shall we.

Way too late for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-10-2014, 16:33   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Okay sneuman, tell us all about real.
Old 15-10-2014, 16:40   #138

Nobody really knows what the hell is going on from what I am reading and hearing.

I guess we will all know pretty soon.
Old 15-10-2014, 16:45   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
C'mon atoll lets keep it real shall we.
I posted that article purely for humor
the title said it all

I can remember sitting in the doctor's waiting rooms as a child and invariably finding a tatty copy of "readers digest" the best section was always "laughter is the best medicine".......perhaps we should take a leaf out of that book.....

I wonder what "Readers digest" would make of Ebola in todays world in an 80's edition....................
Old 15-10-2014, 17:03   #140
cruiser

I don't think I'd risk picking up the Readers Digest in a doctors waiting room without first donning an Ebola space suit.

The US government is really... really messing up on this one. Flights from West Africa should have been banned months ago. Any and all epidemiologists would recommend this basic measure as a first line of defense. WTF is going on??
Old 15-10-2014, 17:15   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't think I'd risk picking up the Readers Digest in a doctors waiting room without first donning an Ebola space suit.

The US government is really... really messing up on this one. Flights from West Africa should have been banned months ago. Any and all epidemiologists would recommend this as a first line of defense.
I'm more discerning these days........I look for "wooden boat" or "yachting monthly"

though I'm flying out of heathrow on saturday..........it would be terrible if I got stuck in Thailand till the epidemic is over
Old 15-10-2014, 17:26   #142
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
well I guess it was going to happen sooner or later........but it makes you wonder, if they can't stop the spread in hospital conditions what is going to happen when it gets on the streets!
sooner or later? common sense would be to prevent any passengers from infected areas in africa from entering our country .. which we were not able to do. our parents knew how to quarantine immigrants. we have invited the virus into our country. enough said.
Old 15-10-2014, 17:30   #143
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

When boaty gets off his boat in the carib, everyone in the world will be dead….

except him, his all girl crew, and all pretty girls between the ages of 20 and 24

Old 15-10-2014, 17:33   #144
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The sad ting is that there ARE better protocols in place. There is better equipment on hand, and major cities and hospitals have in fact practiced with it.

In cities like NY, where the #1 "We don't talk about this" worry is a dirty bomb, there have been CBN drills with full hazmat gear. Routine decontamination includes heavy spray-downs by teams--not a guy with a bug sprayer--or trips under multiple showerheads in a "tunnel" that sluices down water from all sides and angles.

The gear is there. The people who have actually used it are there. AFAIK it is always set up outdoors, not inside a building, since all that contaminated water has to drain someplace.

The disturbing thing is, none of that equipment and expertise is being deployed and used. Yet. Maybe that's the right choice, given how easily people would panic at the sight of it.
Old 15-10-2014, 17:55   #145

Boat: Valiant 42
Spain and Ebola: Discuss

All the Wednesday morning quarterbacks here are making me a little crazy. Look at what happened in Dallas. Ebola breaks out "over there" and the boss says it can't happen here. The head of CDC says if it happens here any hospital has sufficient procedures in place to treat it. So a guy shows up at the ER and everyone treats him as if he doesn't have it (it won't happen here remember?) and if he has it we are a major hospital and CDC says we can handle it. Well guess what? The boss was wrong and the CDC guy was wrong but the hospital and staff are getting thrown under the bus. Then the overly large number of exposed workers weren't even monitored let alone quarantined. The level of incompetence is high but I'm pretty tired of everyone blaming the nurses when the folks "in charge" are so staggeringly wrong even up to today.

The truly frightening thing is now the US will overreact as it usually does and the true crisis in Africa will take a back seat to the problems in the US. This is one of those times in history we will look back as either pre or post Ebola. And that's pretty sad.
Old 15-10-2014, 17:59   #146

CDC says 2nd Texas nurse called them several times before getting on the flight home to Dallas from Cleveland. Because her fever was below 100.4 degrees they told her she was low-risk and could get on the plane.

Ebola nurse Am​ber Vinson called CDC several times before flying - CBS News
Old 15-10-2014, 18:37   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The boss was wrong and the CDC guy was wrong but the hospital and staff are getting thrown under the bus. Then the overly large number of exposed workers weren't even monitored let alone quarantined. The level of incompetence is high but I'm pretty tired of everyone blaming the nurses when the folks "in charge" are so staggeringly wrong even up to today.
Isn't this the kind of thing that produced the saying "we'll get to the bottom of this"? I have changed it to say "we'll get to the top of this" but of course we never will.
Old 15-10-2014, 19:01   #148
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
CDC says 2nd Texas nurse called them several times before getting on the flight home to Dallas from Cleveland. Because her fever was below 100.4 degrees they told her she was low-risk and could get on the plane.

Ebola nurse Am​ber Vinson called CDC several times before flying - CBS News
Whats that word again? CREDIBILITY LOST! s s

Who needs ISIL/ISIS when you have the CDC?

Old 16-10-2014, 06:45   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

It's difficult for me to admit this, but I was wrong ...

About Fox News.
At least Shep Smith. Excellent commentary, here:

Shepard Smith: 'Do Not Listen To The Hysterical Voices' In The Media About Ebola
Old 16-10-2014, 06:53   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't have any problem doing that. I just haven't heard any hysterical voices reporting on this issue. sneuman, maybe you should stop listening to the hysterical voices if you can.
Closed Thread

Tags
Spain, spain