Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 14:41   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Spain and Ebola: Discuss

Quote:
and asking them to self-monitor for a month afterwards in any case.
So far that hasn't worked very well, except in the 2nd nurse in Spain who insisted more than once that she be tested. Ooops.
Old 10-10-2014, 20:20   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The FRONT LINE program on antibiotic resistant bacteria kind of makes the Ebola outbreak look small in comparison. Right now that is but with the spread of Ebola that may change.
Old 10-10-2014, 21:08   #33
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The FRONT LINE program on antibiotic resistant bacteria kind of makes the Ebola outbreak look small in comparison. Right now that is but with the spread of Ebola that may change.
Yes I also saw this program. Terrifying. And the cure (if even possible) is as bad.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:36   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Remember the beginning of AIDS? You can get from kissing, you can get it from mosquitoes, you can get it from toilet seats ...? All wrong. Here we go again!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 05:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Remember the beginning of AIDS? You can get from kissing, you can get it from mosquitoes, you can get it from toilet seats ...? All wrong. Here we go again!

i guess the aids map must look a bit like this one after all these years,only it doesent infect as many people,nor kill as fast or as easy to catch.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:47   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of course that's not the point. The point is all this nonsense about Ebola going airborne.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:53   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Also worth noting that the this is labeled as "worst case" and that even the reasonable models are already being shown to be too aggressive. More scare mongering.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:00   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Of course that's not the point. The point is all this nonsense about Ebola going airborne.

does it really matter!

edit.
Also worth noting that the this is labeled as "worst case" and that even the reasonable models are already being shown to be too aggressive. More scare mongering.

that is why on the next site that only deals with real cases and real statistics the results are more frightening!

this was posted on 12/august,on this site

Ebola Virus Outbreak 2014 Map with Live Reports - Climate Viewer News

Plotting data from this site shows that the current Ebola infection rate is increasing exponentially (with good fit of R^2 = 0.96) until 8/8/14 with a doubling time of only 32.5 days. There is no sign of slowing and the current rate of new cases is about 36 cases per day, also increasing exponentially. Assuming the disease is not brought under control, in about one month from 8/8/14 the total number of cases will reach about 3600 total known cases. Let’s hope we don’t get there.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:12   #39

Doesn't have to be worst case. Doesn't have to go airborne. Doesn't matter what the real vs perceived risks are. All it will take is one sick person to ride the subway to a hospital in Manhattan and people are gonna freak out.

So what does the economy look like after eight million New Yorkers decide to stay home for a week? I think we saw that after 9/11.

Now tell me how's it going to look after a month?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
does it really matter!

edit.

that is why on the next site that only deals with real cases and real statistics the results are more frightening!

this was posted on 12/august,on this site

Ebola Virus Outbreak 2014 Map with Live Reports - Climate Viewer News

Plotting data from this site shows that the current Ebola infection rate is increasing exponentially (with good fit of R^2 = 0.96) until 8/8/14 with a doubling time of only 32.5 days. There is no sign of slowing and the current rate of new cases is about 36 cases per day, also increasing exponentially. Assuming the disease is not brought under control, in about one month from 8/8/14 the total number of cases will reach about 3600 total known cases. Let’s hope we don’t get there.

Actually that's not true. It's been contained in Nigeria, a country with a much less sophisticated health system than ours. There's even some (preliminary) evidence that the rate of new cases in Liberia is in slight decline, although it's probably too early to draw any conclusions from that.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:18   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Doesn't have to be worst case. Doesn't have to go airborne. Doesn't matter what the real vs perceived risks are. All it will take is one sick person to ride the subway to a hospital in Manhattan and people are gonna freak out.

So what does the world's economy look like after eight million New Yorkers decide to stay home for a week? I think we saw that after 9/11.

Now tell me how's it going to look after a month?

Agreed. All the more reason not to sow panic and doomsday scenarios.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:27   #42

Time for a long long LONG ocean passage to somewhere like Chagos and ride it out... LOL... Eating Coconuts through it all
Old 11-10-2014, 06:28   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually that's not true. It's been contained in Nigeria, a country with a much less sophisticated health system than ours. There's even some (preliminary) evidence that the rate of new cases in Liberia is in slight decline, although it's probably too early to draw any conclusions from that.

the case in nigeria might not be so simple.....................
BBC News - #BBCtrending: Talking privately about Ebola

Social media users in Sierra Leone are turning to chat apps to have private conversations about Ebola

"There are certain things that the authorities don't want the public to know" says Emerson Fowai, who works with a public health NGO in Kailahun in eastern Sierra Leone. Over 3,000 West Africans have died from Ebola and the town of Kailahun has been badly hit. There are good public health reasons to monitor the flow of information in the midst of an epidemic - to prevent panic and misinformation. But Fowai is concerned about the restrictions. He claims the government has been downplaying the situation and is reprimanding unofficial voices. "I spoke [publicly] about people who have been quarantined and the authorities asked for my arrest," he says. "So people are afraid to divulge second hand pieces of information."
Old 11-10-2014, 06:36   #44

Also, doesn't have to be worst case to become endemic, which is what some of the pros are saying may now well be the case. Then it becomes inevitable it will come to New York, or London, or Hong Kong.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:38   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the case in nigeria might not be so simple.....................

BBC News - #BBCtrending: Talking privately about Ebola

Social media users in Sierra Leone are turning to chat apps to have private conversations about Ebola

"There are certain things that the authorities don't want the public to know" says Emerson Fowai, who works with a public health NGO in Kailahun in eastern Sierra Leone. Over 3,000 West Africans have died from Ebola and the town of Kailahun has been badly hit. There are good public health reasons to monitor the flow of information in the midst of an epidemic - to prevent panic and misinformation. But Fowai is concerned about the restrictions. He claims the government has been downplaying the situation and is reprimanding unofficial voices. "I spoke [publicly] about people who have been quarantined and the authorities asked for my arrest," he says. "So people are afraid to divulge second hand pieces of information."

Nigeria isn't mentioned. This fellow is in Sierra Leone.

Tags
Spain, spain