Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17   #16

Boat: 16' Mckee Craft "Seeking the one"
Re: South Carolina Abandoned Boats

Got me a free boat yesterday. It works. The boat needs some work but all in all its coming around. the process was not tpoo hard.
CptBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:33   #17

Boat: Santana 25
Come on buddy, give us some info.....
How old ?
How big ?
Make ?
You know what we need ;-)
We're happy for ya, but......
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 14:46   #18

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom
Come on buddy, give us some info.....
How old ?
How big ?
Make ?
You know what we need ;-)
We're happy for ya, but......
Ditto! Not that I think I'm up for that much work, but curious. I've been boat shopping and I seriously can't believe what people will put a $100k price tag on. I do some some beautiful boats that are clean, appear to be in reasonable shape at a glance (short of a survey) and seem priced fairly. But I see lots and lots of $100k floating rubbish bins.
Old 14-08-2011, 21:06   #19

Too many people think that what they paid for the boat is somehow related to its current market value. The biggest problem is that during the real estate and credit bubble, a good percentage of the baby boomers (population bubble) were buying boats. Now who will they sell their boat to?

You need a home, and look at housing prices. Who needs a boat, which just costs lots of money to maintain? Obviously, we don't need a boat. But the population is flip flopping, there are less younger people, and they all have less money. So who is going to buy all these $100K+ boats? Even if they are in great shape, there just aren't enough people in the generations after the baby boomers to buy them. Not to mention the younger set being broke, with insance student loans, housing bubble hang overs, and their need to save to replace social security and medicare which won't survive for their generation.

The sad thing is that some of the nicest boats just deteriorate with owners not using them or doing proper maintenance. That is where the biggest chunk of boat value is lost. Not from supply/demand caused depreciation at resale. Deferred maintenance, lack of use and neglect is destroying more high end boats than the economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
Ditto! Not that I think I'm up for that much work, but curious. I've been boat shopping and I seriously can't believe what people will put a $100k price tag on. I do some some beautiful boats that are clean, appear to be in reasonable shape at a glance (short of a survey) and seem priced fairly. But I see lots and lots of $100k floating rubbish bins.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:18   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777
Too many people think that what they paid for the boat is somehow related to its current market value. The biggest problem is that during the real estate and credit bubble, a good percentage of the baby boomers (population bubble) were buying boats. Now who will they sell their boat to?

You need a home, and look at housing prices. Who needs a boat, which just costs lots of money to maintain? Obviously, we don't need a boat. But the population is flip flopping, there are less younger people, and they all have less money. So who is going to buy all these $100K+ boats? Even if they are in great shape, there just aren't enough people in the generations after the baby boomers to buy them. Not to mention the younger set being broke, with insance student loans, housing bubble hang overs, and their need to save to replace social security and medicare which won't survive for their generation.

The sad thing is that some of the nicest boats just deteriorate with owners not using them or doing proper maintenance. That is where the biggest chunk of boat value is lost. Not from supply/demand caused depreciation at resale. Deferred maintenance, lack of use and neglect is destroying more high end boats than the economy.
So true. I do think there is a bit of the mentality that "well I paid $100k for it so that's what I want to sell for.". In the meantime storage fees or slip fees just keep adding up, and the boat looks worse and worse.

We have looked at a boat we liked sitting on the hard here in FL for awhile. Never knew the boat but knew we liked the style, it's in our general size range, etc. We drove by frequently as its ob our way to our favorite pubs :-) Last night we pulled in to take a closer look. It's an Endeavour 37', nice style of boat in definite need of TLC tho. We did a web search and found the owners blog. He was en route to sailing her home (north) when he decided he wasn't up for the sail and put her on the hard for hurricane season. That was about a year and a half ago. And meanwhile she's just sitting...sad and forlorn, on the hard. :-( I guess if it were me...and plans changed, I would sell it ASAP, as it's a poor expenditure of money to watch it sit on the hard.
Old 19-08-2011, 19:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
So true. I do think there is a bit of the mentality that "well I paid $100k for it so that's what I want to sell for.". In the meantime storage fees or slip fees just keep adding up, and the boat looks worse and worse.

We have looked at a boat we liked sitting on the hard here in FL for awhile. Never knew the boat but knew we liked the style, it's in our general size range, etc. We drove by frequently as its ob our way to our favorite pubs :-) Last night we pulled in to take a closer look. It's an Endeavour 37', nice style of boat in definite need of TLC tho. We did a web search and found the owners blog. He was en route to sailing her home (north) when he decided he wasn't up for the sail and put her on the hard for hurricane season. That was about a year and a half ago. And meanwhile she's just sitting...sad and forlorn, on the hard. :-( I guess if it were me...and plans changed, I would sell it ASAP, as it's a poor expenditure of money to watch it sit on the hard.
Endeavour made a nice boat. You could send him an email at his blog, or post an entry that if he lists her for sale to let you know. I have no idea what she's worth, but you can check with NADA.com for free. Of course, the pricing they report is much lower than soldboats.com / yachtworld, but that might be because NADA is based upon reported sale prices when a bank loan is involved. I don't think banks can fuss around with the numbers, no reason for them to do it. Soldboats / yachtworld is good for learning the last asking price, and is reported by the brokers. No matter what they call it, their "sold price" is nothing more than the asking price at the time the broker reported it sold. Not that brokers have any incentive...
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 20:05   #22

Boat: Tartan 30
The only website I know of that actually lists the sold price vs. The asking price (as well as asking price reductions) is sailingtexas.com

Otherwise, yachtworld has no relavance to the sold price. They only list a boat for the asking price, and list either Sale pending or sold (without prices).

eBay is the only other place (I know of) where you can actually see the asking price vs. The sold price..
Old 19-08-2011, 20:13   #23

Maybe it's cheating but a friend that's a surveyor can also get the sold price. :-)
Old 19-08-2011, 20:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71
Maybe it's cheating but a friend that's a surveyor can also get the sold price. :-)
Yep, that's cheating
Old 19-08-2011, 20:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy

Yep, that's cheating
Maybe but it's useful :-)

What I find is really no big surprise,tho. Reasonably priced boats sell at a little below asking price in the brokerage side of the business. Overpriced boats don't sell til they come down to reality.
Old 19-08-2011, 20:32   #26

Yep, I've seen overpriced boats sit on the market for a year or more. There's still boats on my original shortlist that are still for sale after atleast 2 years.

'well priced' boats sell well. Cheap boats can often scare people off... I bought a ' cheap' boat that shouda been priced in the. 'well priced' range, but that was a chance I was willing to take, and it paid off
Old 19-08-2011, 20:41   #27

Then you can pass some luck my way on a " cheap" boat. ;-) They DO scare me off tjo. We looked at a Union '36 that sold for around $40k. Beautiful boat (IMHO) and had I been "ready" would have topped my short list. But I kept wondering "Whats wrong with it." it was a mild unease, though. I see some others around $40K that scare me. And many at $100 K that I think are terrifying in their disrepair. Oh well. I have faith that when I'm ready, I will get what I want and need.
Old 19-08-2011, 20:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71
Then you can pass some luck my way on a " cheap" boat. ;-) They DO scare me off tjo. We looked at a Union '36 that sold for around $40k. Beautiful boat (IMHO) and had I been "ready" would have topped my short list. But I kept wondering "Whats wrong with it." it was a mild unease, though. I see some others around $40K that scare me. And many at $100 K that I think are terrifying in their disrepair. Oh well. I have faith that when I'm ready, I will get what I want and need.
I do believe that the right boat will
show up at just the right time. That's the faith I went on when I set out down the coast to find my boat. sure enough, the right boat, right price (better than right), and right time, all converged in an instant. I knew it was my boat the moment ibsaw it. good luck to you.

(edit) oops! Cut and paste disaster!
Old 19-08-2011, 20:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Yep, I've seen overpriced boats sit on the market for a year or more. There's still boats on my original shortlist that are still for sale after atleast 2 years.

'well priced' boats sell well. Cheap boats can often scare people off... I bought a ' cheap' boat that shouda been priced in the. 'well priced' range, but that was a chance I was willing to take, and it paid off
I'm the one looking at the "cheap" boats hoping I'll get lucky.

I've found it better to look on craigslist for cheap boats. It seems people who sell on craigslist, for whatever reason (like inheriting a boat they don't care about), typically don't want to deal with the item their selling, or don't research to find out how/where to sell. It seems to be a more involved process to advertise elsewhere.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 21:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz
I'm the one looking at the "cheap" boats hoping I'll get lucky.

I've found it better to look on craigslist for cheap boats. It seems people who sell on craigslist, for whatever reason (like inheriting a boat they don't care about), typically don't want to deal with the item their selling, or don't research to find out how/where to sell. It seems to be a more involved process to advertise elsewhere.
I don't know if that's generally true or not, but it was true in my case. My boat was listed on Craigslist for a stupid-low price. I wasn't even going to see it, but there was another one close by so I went to see them both... The guy I got my boat from is 86 years old, he was done sailing, wife passed, ready to go into assisted care... He literally turned down several buyers (according to him) because they didn't fit the bill. I got lucky, or call it faith, or whatever... It was just right