Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 19:28   #16

Boat: Cherubini Independence 45
Big Ship in the Fog

Every June I move my charter boat from Ocean City MD to Hatteras NC. In 2008 I was 30 miles off shore passing Norfolk VA at 6AM in patchy fog. On my radar, 6 miles ahead were 2 small and 1 very large freighter, or so it appeared to me. From the radar it was clear that they were barely moving, waiting for the fog to clear before crossing over the tunnel of the Chesapeake Bay bridge. My course put me crossing 2-3 miles in front of the largest ship. As I approached the ship came into view, a very large mid-island freighter. At this point my radar screen tuned completely light green and the voice on the radio said, "vessel at position X... Y... this is Navy warship 75. Alter your course to 235 degrees and maintain 3 miles separation". The Bow of the Nimitz Class Carrier "Harry S. Truman" is still an impressive site at 3 miles.

Moral of the story: It's always good to Monitor VHF channel 16 whenever you are offshore!

Ted

Old 07-12-2010, 19:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Were you that guy with Dick Cheney, nose looks like a bit like a beak and all that?
WEST Texas. Not SOUTH Texas. MAN, get your geography straight!

Pretty funny...
Old 07-12-2010, 19:51   #18

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.Diver View Post
Every June I move my charter boat from Ocean City MD to Hatteras NC. In 2008 I was 30 miles off shore passing Norfolk VA at 6AM in patchy fog. On my radar, 6 miles ahead were 2 small and 1 very large freighter, or so it appeared to me. From the radar it was clear that they were barely moving, waiting for the fog to clear before crossing over the tunnel of the Chesapeake Bay bridge. My course put me crossing 2-3 miles in front of the largest ship. As I approached the ship came into view, a very large mid-island freighter. At this point my radar screen tuned completely light green and the voice on the radio said, "vessel at position X... Y... this is Navy warship 75. Alter your course to 235 degrees and maintain 3 miles separation". The Bow of the Nimitz Class Carrier "Harry S. Truman" is still an impressive site at 3 miles.

Moral of the story: It's always good to Monitor VHF channel 16 whenever you are offshore!

Ted
Awesome!
Old 07-12-2010, 20:23   #19
cruiser

A long piece of poly strewn over the stern stops an unlit Red Sea type pirate's prop quickly, and leaves you in peace. A length of wire rope does it even better and longer, especialy rigging wire. Best only attach it to your boat by a light piece of breakway line. Turning from side to side increases the odds of them picking it up in their prop.
Old 07-12-2010, 20:36   #20

Boat: 1978 C.N.S.O Mikado 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.Diver View Post
The Bow of the Nimitz Class Carrier "Harry S. Truman" is still an impressive site at 3 miles.

Ted
As a teen I got a tour of the "Harry S. Truman" the view from it is amazing too.
Old 07-12-2010, 20:38   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
The first few times I sailed past Vandenberg AF Base--otherwise known as the "Pacific Missile Test Range"--I called Plead Control, as per the instructions on the chart, and got no response. The next time I transited the range, I decided not to bother with Plead Control. Sure enough, as soon as I was in the middle of the range, I heard a Pan Pan announcing an immanent launch. Somewhat desperately, I called Plead Control. The calm voice on the other end asked, "Skipper, do you know what an Apache Helicopter looks like? After I answered in the affirmative, he replied, "When one shows up, please follow it at your best speed."

I did.
Old 07-12-2010, 21:29   #22

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
ahaha, Bash..."Skipper, do you know what an Apache Helicopter looks like?" that would have been sweet, as long as you had nothing to hide.
Old 07-12-2010, 21:51   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Over the last several decades, the San Francisco Bay Area has become a virtual military-free zone. With the closing of Mare Island, no more submarines. With the closing of the Alameda Air Station, no more active aircraft carriers. With the closing of Hunters Point Naval Shipyard, etc. 'Bout the only time military vessels appear is during Fleet Week. The Coasties are the only ones with on-water firepower here.

About 15 years ago, my pocket cutter drifted (due to lack of wind) too close to the docks of the Concord Naval Weapons Depot (Port Chicago). A guy on the decks magaphoned, telling me to stay further away. Had to crank up the Seagull and motor away. Wonder if they would have sent out a launch to tow me away or arrested me if I hadn't had an auxiliary engine
Old 07-12-2010, 22:03   #24
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
One day at Miami, sailing with four ladies in tinny bikinis, we were pass by USCG boat. They turn around and pass us again, then making a sharp turn at arm distance, leaving us soaking wet!!!
The ladies were upset , but I find it really funny
Old 07-12-2010, 22:26   #25

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
I was running home at 2am just outside PL last summer and was buzzed by an unlit fish and game boat. I have night vision equipment and they stopped stalking us when they saw me looking back at them while they looked at me. Not as fun I guess when they know your watching. (They were looking for crab poachers not tired sailors.)

Todd
Old 07-12-2010, 22:44   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I was running home at 2am just outside PL last summer and was buzzed by an unlit fish and game boat. I have night vision equipment and they stopped stalking us when they saw me looking back at them while they looked at me. Not as fun I guess when they know your watching. (They were looking for crab poachers not tired sailors.)

Todd
I gotta get some NV equipment! And sometime "down the road" I have 3 or 4 $K burning a hole in the pocket, I'd consider thermal viewers.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
No doubt they were watching you on infrared to see what your physical responses would have been at the time. If all of a sudden there was rushed movements and people clamoring into the space under the cockpit (to hide) or dumping stuff overboard they would have seen it all anyway. So ultimately, they probably only needed to say hello and ask a couple of questions to see how you reacted to their presence.

Cheers
Oz
I wonder how much of a problem the warm engine and cabin heater was causing them. We had the cabin fan on aimed at the diesel heater keep the cabin nice and toasty. I'm glad they're out there doing their thing; the whole "race up at night with no lights on" thing is what irked me a bit.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:29   #28

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Odd, about 8 or 10 years back, I joined a friend in SD for a jaunt in a rented 30' sailboat, and when we were a quarter mile outside of the harbor, a US nuke sub was leaving while a Brit or Aussie nuke sub was entering. They stopped to chat with each other or look each other over, about 200 yards from us. It was quite a sight and no one was concerned about us at all. My memory on dates is sketchy, perhaps it was the summer of '01 and Fodderland hysteria hadn't yet geared up.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Odd, about 8 or 10 years back, I joined a friend in SD for a jaunt in a rented 30' sailboat, and when we were a quarter mile outside of the harbor, a US nuke sub was leaving while a Brit or Aussie nuke sub was entering. They stopped to chat with each other or look each other over, about 200 yards from us. It was quite a sight and no one was concerned about us at all. My memory on dates is sketchy, perhaps it was the summer of '01 and Fodderland hysteria hadn't yet geared up.
I served onboard a US submarine for a bit; things were much different before 9/11. Back then I could take anyone I wanted down below when we were at the dock, and it wasn't all that hard to convince the skipper to let a civilian come along (like my dad, a vet) for a day trip provided we made a "family & friends day", capped the total attendance, and made some boat prep in advance. Now the idea of doing that would be absurd.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:40   #30

In the months after 9/11 there were attack helicopters flying patrols of San Diego Harbor. Stuff was crazy.
Closed Thread