Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 19:58   #121

Quote:
Health Canada issued an advisory about varenicline tartrate (Champix).
I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Health Canada says. These are not members of the top tiers of either the medical or scientific communities. A lot of the information they promulgate runs counter to established fact. They are less impartial than the FDA.

I used Champix two years ago to quit a 35 year addiction and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Old 11-10-2009, 21:22   #122

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-kow View Post
My sci-fi addiction is another story. There's no help for me there.
Me too

Xsmoker here, cinnamon sticks helped me quit. Shaped like a cig, stick em in your mouth and you get a nice cinnamon flavor. In a month I was completely off cigs and cinnamon sticks Funny thing though, I still run into people asking if I was the girl who drove that pearl white VW van and smoked those funny cigars. They were cinnamon sticks! now I know why people called me eccentric

The bad news - along with a whole host of other things, smoking causes cancer. The good news - research has shown that within 10-15 years of quitting the lungs regenerate/heal to non-smoker lungs status. The reality - every dies sooner or later....but then there is heaven (whew) so who cares who smoked

On topic - 25% of my sailing/cruising friends smoke.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 12-10-2009, 00:15   #123

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I understand that smoking is not good for me (my grandmother told me that when I was a kid...we didn't need science to tell us that), but I got hooked and I like it. I used to drink at times, but I never really liked the taste or the people that got drunk. I used to smoke pot, but that was pretty easy to stop using. I don't like all the cancer causing exhaust cars, trucks, busses, airplanes, and whatever else we have that pumps smoke into the air, but I'm not going to quite using them either. Nothing I can do about Radon gas that comes out of the earth, so I live with it. Smoking never made a good person bad, but self righteous people can make good person mad. Everyone has a vice, and everyone is going to die someday...and probably not from their vice. Believe it or not even so called healthy people die, but they just look better dead. In the end what difference does it all make, cause it's not like we're going to have some conscience recollection that we were ever alive to begin with. I think it's more important that a person is good, honest, and have a sense of fair play, than if they smoke or not.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I understand that smoking is not good for me (my grandmother told me that when I was a kid...we didn't need science to tell us that), but I got hooked and I like it. I used to drink at times, but I never really liked the taste or the people that got drunk. I used to smoke pot, but that was pretty easy to stop using. I don't like all the cancer causing exhaust cars, trucks, busses, airplanes, and whatever else we have that pumps smoke into the air, but I'm not going to quite using them either. Nothing I can do about Radon gas that comes out of the earth, so I live with it. Smoking never made a good person bad, but self righteous people can make good person mad. Everyone has a vice, and everyone is going to die someday...and probably not from their vice. Believe it or not even so called healthy people die, but they just look better dead. In the end what difference does it all make, cause it's not like we're going to have some conscience recollection that we were ever alive to begin with. I think it's more important that a person is good, honest, and have a sense of fair play, than if they smoke or not.
Sums it up for me.

Gord...good chicken joke.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:25   #125

Boat: 17' Thistle and 13' Catboat
I would agree with the smokers we just read from if only death came fast, which it usually doesn't. The slow decline and deterioration is pathetic and disgusting.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28   #126

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Lets really make it interesting

How many have smoking guns onboard?
Steve
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35   #127

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Of course, the corollary to that witticism is that we non-smokers don't mind if anyone smokes around us . . . as long as they don't exhale.

TaoJones
I tried that but had to quit, it made me dizzy..
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 12-10-2009, 06:44   #128

Gord,

take it from someone with experience.

You don't need to quit smoking. That is hard. It can drive you crazy.

Instead you need to simply stop buying smokes. That's easy. Don't put them in your basket, just walk by the counter, don't go into that store. It just takes a moment of will power at the right moment.
Quitting takes an extended effort, but not buying is simple.

This part should be easy for you...picture yourself in a tropical paradise, with wine, women, food, everything you might want or need, but no tobacco shop. You wont die. You can do it.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46   #129

You need a strong enough reason to quit and that reason varies with the person. I quit in 1977 having smoked for about 14 years. The incentive I needed was competitive. A guy I was hanging around boats with at the time could beat me at just about everything. We decided to quit smoking at the same time and I was determined I would beat him, 4 months later I caught him sucking on a big honkin' turd one night and I heaped scorn on him mercilessly. I never touched a smoke since, scared to because I used to really like smoking even though it is disgusting. He was off and on for years and I took every opportunity to rub his nose in it when he did. I had tried many times to quit prior to that without success, I just needed the right incentive. Whatever floats your boat, so to speak.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18   #130

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-kow View Post
Well then, you must admit that you're a drug dealer by your own definition.

It's also important to note that the use of drugs does not make one an addict. You can drink and not be an alcoholic.

I smoked and quit. I'd probably smoke and quit again in the proper context. Considering the fanfare I was astounded at how easy smoking was to put down.

My sci-fi addiction is another story. There's no help for me there.
Ditto! Re: Sci-Fi, they'll probably bury me with Lewis, Tolkien, A.C.Clark, and Andre Norton in the box with me! Hooked for life!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 12-10-2009, 07:53   #131

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
A very good friend of mine told me a number of years ago that "you'll quit (smoking) when your ready, your just not ready yet". I got ready 12 years ago, and not one since.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48   #132

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
PLS clarify the intended relationship btw your post and the thread.
None whatsoever.

My intent was to reinforce Bash's observation which happens to jibe with mine. I agree with his observation that fewer educated people in this country are letting themselves get addicted to nicotine than in the past. Progress is being made, right where you would most expect it.

Before you flame on and start leaping to erroneous conclusions, remember: I posted that I smoke cigars on my sailboat. Infrequently, but nevertheless I do. Had one last Saturday night, in fact.

Now, where do you want to take this: (1) the observation is wrong or (2) you don't like the implications?

In either case, it's not me who's going to make the mistake in logic by trying to reason from the general to the specific.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21   #133

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Gord, That was great! I'm still laughing.
Old 12-10-2009, 13:01   #134

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
Ya know....I've just had the unpleasent privilege of sailing with two smokers recently.

Very inconsiderate and unsafe people.

One guy put his cigar down long enough to fill his 6 gallon fuel tank, no smoking at the fuel dock of course. then after fueling, he immediately made a b-line to the smoldering cuban, and with his full tank in one hand picked up his puffer with the other and brought it back to life, and proudly made his way back to the boat to get under way. I watched in horror, thinking what might have happened if the conditions we right for blast off.

then I spent 6 hours sailing with another guy who had to have a butt in his mouth 24/7. he left ashes everywhere. Butts in water bottles half filled with water, gross!

he also opened the fuel locker and stuck his head in with a glowing hot cigarette hanging from his mouth, why I ask!. luckily no kaboom this time either.

I'm putting up the no smoking signs! that's it.
Old 12-10-2009, 13:27   #135

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Blimey! Havent we beaten this subject to death yet? I dont know how much more High Moral Ground or Sanctimonious stuff I can take....(ok - I know I dont have to read the thread but its a bit compulsive, seeing who is going to come up with whatever next isnt it?)

Why cant we keep to the more important subjects like: "How Pink should my boat be?", or "I've Just cut my First Tooth and am learning to talk: When should I set off on my Circumnavigation?" or "Can you recommend any Goats who know how to Cook?"
Closed Thread