Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 18:55   #106

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
What about the non smokers, whose freedom for fresh air is being taken away, or the butts that smokers throw away to pollute my beach space. Take a walk down the beach, street, harbour or Ayers Rock, the biggest mess is always from cigarette butts.
GREAT POST! If any smokers are reading, why is it that smokers think they can throw their used butts anywhere they please? Do they believe their mommies are gonna come along behind them and clean up their mess? I see people fling their butts out of car windows, while walking, even at the assigned smoking spots with the can right next to them! Do smokers have a cute answer for this one too?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:33   #107

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
I don't like see to cigarette butts laying everywhere either. Not all smokers throw there butts any where they please. But you don't throw out the baby with the bath water. We have littering laws that should be enforced for throwing a butt down just like a beer can. I see plenty of beer and soft drink cans laying around. Should we outlaw those as well? I would say the same people throwing the butts down are throwing the rest of the litter as well. You either care about the enviorment or you don't.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:53   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is leaning against the headboard smoking a cigarette, with a satisfied smile on its face.
The egg, looking a bit pissed off, grabs the sheet, rolls over and says, "Well, I guess we finally answered THAT question."

Old 11-10-2009, 08:26   #109

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
I smoked up to 3 packs a day. I was a serious enough smoker that I would turn down work if I couldn't smoke. I'm not quite sure why but one evening about 10 years ago I'd finished one pack and was about to open another when I decided I should quit. A friend lent me a copy of "The easy way to quit smoking" by Allen Carr (available at Amazon).

The boast in the intro is that if you finish the book you'll have quit. So i did and I had. Where all the patches, cajoling, post-mortem photos, bans etc. had failed this worked and I believe it worked because it dealt with this reasons why one smokes in an intelligent way and provided the pyschological underpinning for giving up.

I no longer really remember why I smoked and have no craving whatsoever. I can sit amongst smokers while they puff away and it has no resonance.

I have no problem with people smoking on deck - fanaticism is an ugly thing and I saw enough of it when I was smoking.

Given the cost of the book I'd recommend to anyone and I still have that unopened pack of Malboro Lights.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26   #110

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
How much do you want for the Malboro's ?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:56   #111

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
priceless
Old 11-10-2009, 11:26   #112

Remember that cigarette smokers are drug addicts.
Jedi et al. are in denial and will look for excuses for their weakness.
They are thumb/tit suckers-just look when they started smoking.
Very few people begin smoking in adulthood.
Those who argue that it is an issue of freedom never mention responsibility-another infantile self centered argument.
Darwin at work!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:35   #113

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by divelly View Post
Remember that cigarette smokers are drug addicts.
Yep.
----------
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Remember that cigarette smokers are drug addicts...
And from: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post324842

Quote:
Barter items:
75 ml Smirnoff-1 case
Marlboro cigs-1 case
coffee,6 oz. vac pac bricks-24 ea.
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, divelly.

I’m a little uncomfortable with such sanctimonious characterizations, as posited by a drug dealer.
I wouldn’t object so much, were I (like he) on the other side of the equation (pusher instead of user); so I guess it’s truly a matter of personal perspective.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56   #115

Boat: Privilege 37
When I first joined a ship back in the late sixties, everyone smoked except maybe for one. Nowadays it is only the one who does smoke. Is this right or is this fashion or is this health.

The arguement about cancer and smoking is understood and accepted.

I am not so sure about the passive smoke aspect and set it as slightly more believable than global warming.

Is passive smoke more dangerous than alcohol

are cigarette butts more of an environmental hazard than chewing gum

are we in danger of pushing something to the limits as was done in prohibition

I dont have the answers to those questions, but I am sure the thought police will provide a politically acceptable answer for you.

I will say that fanaticism is a fundamental wrong. That anytime someone sets themselves up as the arbiter of taste, health or any other form of political accepatbility, they are doing their best to control your lives for a reason that does not necessarily have your best interests at heart.
Old 11-10-2009, 13:53   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you think that's all, sit tight and read on: smoking reduces the risk of breast cancer, allergic asthma, epilepsy, 50% less chance (!) to get Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases and improves ADHD and schizophrenia symptoms.

So, watching how the world changes around me, I think many people would benefit from smoking a cigarette now and then and stop harressing smokers who might be the smarter group anyway.

cheers,
Nick.
Good luck selling the health benefits of smoking. Of course it could be argued that your chances of suffering all diseases are reduced when you are dead.
Old 11-10-2009, 14:13   #117
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
A lot of peoples first question after someone has died, no matter what they died of, is "Did they smoke?". If yes, then it is automatically "See, well there you have it." If no, then aghast condolences are offered.

Utter BS.
Been mulling over your post

Can't say I have been on the receiving end of that exact comment, but from my experiances the FAQ is "What happened? / what was the cause?" - however the motivation for the question and the reactions to the answer(s) I had difficulty understanding (and I am talking about folks who genuinely meant well / were concerned - not simply casual acquaintances doing social formality)....and I like to understand things about people .

I came up with an answer that may also fit the "did they smoke?" question / reaction..............in dealing with death stuff folks seem to have a fundamental need to reassure / distance themselves from the possibility of the immediate (any? ) cause of death also applying to them. Maybe it comes from when we were all living in caves? "Ug dead"...."how?"....."poke tiger with stick"......."sorry" (thinks: Ug stupid ).

Anyway, nice to see CF.com now has another subject to add to the guns / anchors / multis vs monos roll of honour
Old 11-10-2009, 14:20   #118

Mr. Gord,whatever else you may be, you are a drug addict, as you admit, and addicts' pathology is not only physical it is also psychological.
You are diseased and you need help.
Old 11-10-2009, 14:26   #119
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Things seem to be getting a bit tense in this thread, so just a reminder to everyone to keep it civil. It's certainly possible to debate the issues surrounding smoking, or not, and its effects, without getting personal. Evidently, it has been forgotten that the title of this thread is Smoking and Cruising. It would be nice to see someone bring the thread back on topic and tie it into cruising, somehow.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 11-10-2009, 17:47   #120

Quote:
Mr. Gord,whatever else you may be, you are a drug addict, as you admit, and addicts' pathology is not only physical it is also psychological.
You are diseased and you need help.
Well then, you must admit that you're a drug dealer by your own definition.

It's also important to note that the use of drugs does not make one an addict. You can drink and not be an alcoholic.

I smoked and quit. I'd probably smoke and quit again in the proper context. Considering the fanfare I was astounded at how easy smoking was to put down.

My sci-fi addiction is another story. There's no help for me there.
Closed Thread