Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 14:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Smoking cigars is a sacred ritual on most sailboats I am on. We don't smoke down below but on deck is fair play. I don't see anything wrong with it. Cigars are harmful but life is harmful, too. The advantage that they have over cigarettes is that they are not addictive. Sometimes I smoke a couple a week; sometimes I go for weeks or even months without one.

And in general, it's a personal matter (and for some, a problem), having little to do with sailing as far as I can tell. I don't think it's very high class, actually, to sneer at smokers as being ignorant or "low class", or to harrass them endlessly with increasingly Orwellian laws which cover now even outdoor (?) spaces.

These addiction stories are pretty horrifying. Hope it works out for you guys. I think one way or another it takes a huge act of will.
Old 07-10-2009, 14:14   #17

Boat: Maine Cat 41
OSAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Cigars are harmful but life is harmful, too. The advantage that they have over cigarettes is that they are not addictive.

These addiction stories are pretty horrifying. Hope it works out for you guys. I think one way or another it takes a huge act of will.
CM tobacco leaves? (they contain nicotine)
LIB
MR addictive!

Fair (smoke-free) Winds,
Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 14:36   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
CM tobacco leaves? (they contain nicotine)
LIB
MR addictive!

Fair (smoke-free) Winds,
Mike
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I know a lot of cigar smokers, and none of them shows any signs of addiction, however much nicotine is in the tobacco.

I packed a little travel box of cigars to take with me on a two-week trip that I'm just finishing. I was halfway into the trip before I noticed that the box didn't make it into my suitcase. No big deal.

By the way, switching to cigars can be an excellent way to quit smoking cigarettes, for some people. Not if you can't resist inhaling them, but I know of a number of success stories. See: An Unusual Way To Quit Smoking
Old 07-10-2009, 14:37   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Gord,
You're right, you'll only quit when you decide to! I smoked over two packs a day for 25 years (fifty cents a pack). If I can quit anybody can. But I still smoke in my dreams 20 years later. No it wasn't easy.
I quit while I watched my Father deal with emphysema. I quit when I discovered that I couldn't swim underwater five feet. I quit when I realized how much smoking stank. I quit when I realized that my taste buds were gone.
Twelve years after quitting I had to deal with cancer of the bladder. Related? Maybe.
And now for a rant.
If you, or anybody reading this, wants to live to the full potential of your life, stop smoking now. If you don't give a damn, continue to smoke. A simple choice.
kindest regards, John
Old 07-10-2009, 14:54   #20

Boat: 17' Thistle and 13' Catboat
In May I spent three weeks in The Netherlands, moving my boat from the south - Limburg -to the north - Friesland-. Wonderful country. Lots of fine people. But around harbours and marinas 50% smoke tobacco, it seems. Yuk....
I know you associate that country with pot smoking, which is not that big a deal there and fortunately approached with more common sense, but I was surprised how many folks still take the daily cancer thing.
Old 07-10-2009, 15:11   #21

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Myths, damned myths and statistics...

Dockhead,

I am not going to change your beliefs, nor am I one to stand in the way of a sacred ritual (unless you try to bring it on my boat), but there is ample research and anecdotal stories that

1) cigars can be just as addictive as cigarettes and

2) nicotine is absorbed thru the mucous membranes of the mouth and tongue, which may lead to mouth, tongue and throat cancers (I have friends and family members who succumbed to this)

The American Cancer Society has more if you care to look it up, including how cigar makers are making small cigars more palatable so that people will be more likely to inhale.

For everyone who is able to cure themselves of their addiction to nicotine delivered by cigarettes by using and then totally giving up cigars, I say, "WOO-HOO! AWESOME! WTG!"

That you are not addicted and your friends do not show signs of addiction, I am happy for you all.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 15:27   #22

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Few of the longer term cruises I know smoke. Several former cruisers I know do smoke. They quit cruising for health reasons... not sure if it has any relationship, maybe just other lifestyle problems.

Fewer younger sailors seem to smoke. I don't permit any smoking on my boat, above or below more for safety reasons as I tow a dink with gas tanks behind the boat and it moves around even an anchor.

I have noted a few down from North America, jump at the chance to purchase and smoke Cuban Cigars available in the BVI. They stink like hell and the smokers are often advised of such by other patrons of harbor facilities. BVI has only recently enacted anti-smoking laws for public places, but very few islanders themselves smoke at all except of the "herbal" types

Several close friends do smoke, and they all have COPD among other health problems. I try never to preach to them but most know my feeling about killing oneself with over indulgence in anything. At some point the risk of attempting to quit exceed the benefits for a few people who have smoked heavily for many years. Peoples systems can only take so much.
Old 07-10-2009, 15:51   #23

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
If you get on board my little boat headed for Hawaii I suppose you'll quit smoking for at least 22 days or so.
LoL
Old 07-10-2009, 16:13   #24

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Smoking? Good subject. Does anyone know anyone that says, "Boy I am glad I smoke. Gee, I sure am thankful I smoke OR, I sure hope my kids smoke, like me"?

I smoked from the age of 14 to 26. I drank regularly from 14 to 62. I quit drinking and it was no problem. I needed to quit drinking because I developed an allergy. Smoking, as I look back was far, far tougher to quit, No comparison. It took me the better part of a year to get over the craving.

God bless all of you that smoke and are trying to quit.
Old 07-10-2009, 16:34   #25

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
other then cigs...

i realized this could be a sensitive subject given the legality and i wouldnt be suprised if the mods zap this, but i curious what percentage of cruiser smoke maryj, seems like many people attracted to the cruising lifestyle are also of the smoking type, just curious what the consensus is on this and sorry if its out of line

cheers
Old 07-10-2009, 16:38   #26

After smoking 1.5 - 2 packs a day for 15 years, I quit 6 months ago. I had tried the gum, patches, prescription drugs, and cold turkey, but none of them worked. This time, I tried using electronic cigarettes.

Electronic cigarettes produce a vapor from a liquid. The liquid contains nicotine (not a carcinogen), vegetable glycerin (or propylene glycol), and flavoring (my favorite is cheesecake). Most of the bad stuff in cigarettes is from the tobacco and additives, not the nicotine itself (although a poison in large quantities).

If anyone's interested, PM me or check out e-cigarette-forum.com.

Also, electronic cigarettes are exempt from smoking bans.
Old 07-10-2009, 16:45   #27

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Gord, I know how you feel. I used to smoke, up to a pack n a half a day. I actually stopped a run down the length of Lake Ontario from Port Credit to Oswego because I ran out of smokes. Stupid really.

Anyway, one day I got sick n spent 4 days in bed. When I woke up, i reached for a pack but then decided to see how long I could go without, as I'd already survived 4 days. I made it for about 2 years or so, until my Mom died. First thing I did was reach for Dads smokes. I got off them again twice more before it finally took. I've been smoke free since July of 84.

Keep trying. I'd hate to think what would happen in mid Atlantic or Pacific if I was still smoking.

anyway, on my boat, you smoke on deck and on the leeward side. No ashtrays, no lighters no support for the habit at all. And I won't be turning around because a guest ran out of smokes.

Sabre
58 days n a wake up.
Old 07-10-2009, 16:48   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Real sailors smoke, they have always done so. You'll find many smokers on Dutch boats because most Dutch are real sailors ;-) I find the fanatic anti-smoking cruisers that will lurk a joint or are violently drunk whenever they get the chance, the most horrible and hypocrite people around. It's small people who grab the chance to force their beliefs onto others, thinking they are right without having a clue about the whole deal.

Well, I hope you're ready for some truth other than "smoking is bad":

Nicotine is, like cafeine, a stimulant. At the same time, it is also a relaxant.

It causes your body to release glucose and adrenaline. It also triggers your brain to release many hormones and neuro-transmitters. The effects are as follows: increased relaxation, sharpness, calmness and alertness; it also reduces appetite while increasing metabolism, so it's very effective for loosing weight and stopping gaining weight. Concentration, memory and arousal are enhanced, pain and anxiety are reduced. Sensitivity in brain reward systems (pleasure and euphoria) is increased.

If you think that's all, sit tight and read on: smoking reduces the risk of breast cancer, allergic asthma, epilepsy, 50% less chance (!) to get Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases and improves ADHD and schizophrenia symptoms.

So, watching how the world changes around me, I think many people would benefit from smoking a cigarette now and then and stop harressing smokers who might be the smarter group anyway.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 07-10-2009, 16:57   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic de Beer View Post
...I cannot imagigine why anyone, while out there in the beautiful ocean with lovely fresh air, would be tempted to light up......

...After crossing the Atlantic from St Helena Island, I smelled Bahia Salvador.... 2 days before we arrived there!!...
I believe smoking and and sailing are not related - I mean there is neither positive nor negative correlation. Having said that, many of my sailing and cruising friends smoke - I would be tempted to guess there are more smokers among them than among my inshore friends. Perhaps the explanation is that some people like the 'air of seamen' that is collocated with a pipe or a cigar by the lay (and often young and feminine) part of the society.

As far as your smelling the land from 2 days offshore and to the windward - well, I have heard such stories before, and I am sure Russian scientists will come up with a proper explanation one day. I was deprived of such wonders on each of my landfalls. I believe this may have something to do with the air over the continents moving up and getting blown towards the ocean by the upper air, then it maybe like cools down and descends and brings you all the lovely (or not;-)) smells. Anyway, something I am yet to experience.

Cheers,
b.
Old 07-10-2009, 17:13   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Just to correct a previous error, Bupropion is not an agonist, it is an SSRI, related to Prozac (the antidepressant). Like all the SSRI's, there is a side effect profile. Most of them are mild and easily tolerated; a few are downright unpleasant and if you should be unfortunate and experience them, that is usually enough to warrant stopping the use.

Chantix is a true nicotine agonist and works by basically "clogging up" the receptors. This means that a person taking it (after having built up to a therapeutic dosage level) simply has no physiological response to the intake of nicotine. The loss of that eventually leads to a loss of the psychological response, too. Chantix also has been noted to have some side effects, again in a small number of people. However, some of those side effect are extremely unpleasant (hallucinations, nightmares, paranoia).

There's really no way to reliably know if you might be susceptible to having the side effects, before taking the medication. If you don't, great. Chantix, especially, if taken as directed, will have the best chance of working for you. Bupropion doesn't work quite as well, but still might be worth a try if you should react to the Chantix.

Nicotine is amazingly addictive. The reason for this is because nicotinic acid (very close chemical cousin) is a neurotransmitter -- we make our own. Nicotine from tobacco is "stronger" and "preferred", when available, neurochemically. Our brains really, really like the stuff.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Closed Thread