Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 22:10   #76

Re: Smartphone Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Samsung is the hot seller now in the cellphone market.

It was once Motorola, then Noeka, then iPhone, now Samsung. Funny how innovation comes so fast these days no one brand is the darling of the industry for long.
Theft is not 'innovation'
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 00:35   #77

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

Theft is not 'innovation'
The largest company in the world found a judge to rule in their favor. Imagine that!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:12   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
The largest company in the world found a judge to rule in their favor. Imagine that!
Get a grip, they are not the largest by a long shot. They are the most valuable.

It's not exactly like Samsung is a defenseless child being bullied.
Samsung is the world's largest handset manufacturer, and yet does not produce anything remotely distinctive in the marketplace like Nokia does, like Motorola Does, or like Apple Does. They make phones that are an amalgam of everyone else's and they were stupid enough to put their desire to copy Apple features in writing.

It was a judge; AND a jury.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

Get a grip, they are not the largest by a long shot. They are the most valuable.

It's not exactly like Samsung is a defenseless child being bullied.
Samsung is the world's largest handset manufacturer, and yet does not produce anything remotely distinctive in the marketplace like Nokia does, like Motorola Does, or like Apple Does. They make phones that are an amalgam of everyone else's and they were stupid enough to put their desire to copy Apple features in writing.

What I said about Apple being the largest is correct, it is your intripratation of my words YOU don't like. Deal with it. Lol

Did Samsung infringe on Apple? I think the Asian marketplace often back engineers others products. and then undercuts our bottom line with prison camp style labor methods. Been doing that for years.

The highest judge in the land, Gerald Ford and other big wigs issued the Warren Report, and find anyone today that sees that as anything but a white wash and cover up.

Judges are bought and sold to the highest bidder and juries are instructed on how to come to verdicts.
Old 07-10-2012, 16:33   #80

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo

What I said about Apple being the largest is correct, it is your intripratation of my words YOU don't like. Deal with it. Lol

Did Samsung infringe on Apple? I think the Asian marketplace often back engineers others products. and then undercuts our bottom line with prison camp style labor methods. Been doing that for years.

The highest judge in the land, Gerald Ford and other big wigs issued the Warren Report, and find anyone today that sees that as anything but a white wash and cover up.

Judges are bought and sold to the highest bidder and juries are instructed on how to come to verdicts.
Boys, boys ... Apple never wanted to be the biggest just the best, which they are. :-)

As for conspiracy theories and prison camp labor, really all phones are made overseas now because if we made them you'd never be able to afford one. Besides, do you want assembly line monotonous jobs that will soon be replaced by robots?
Old 07-10-2012, 16:44   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
On paper anyway and likely because so many people are holding on to their stock keeping the price up. If there was a huge sell off, that value would drop quick.

Quote:
You know what they say about Jury's, right?

Not saying there may not be some things that were copied to a point, but I think there were many things that were wrong with the trial. And I'm sure Samsung is going to appeal and this is not going to be over for a while.

As far as Doodles saying they are the best, well, they have been the best selling, but not sure I'd agree they are the best. Probably the best at marketing though.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 22:23   #82

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo

Samsung is the hot seller now in the cellphone market.

It was once Motorola, then Noeka, then iPhone, now Samsung. Funny how innovation comes so fast these days no one brand is the darling of the industry for long.

I think iPhone 4S was too much like iPhone 4 and now iPhone 5 seems to have done a minor redo again. With their maps fiasco, that will boost other companies looking for market share.

Drove three hours out of state Wednesday. Used my cellphone maps. What a cluster f&$k!

The iPhone official map now is by tomtom. Joke. Was way off on miles before turns. Missed several turns.

Tried to use google maps through the browser and it seemed the iPhone was putting a kabash an that. Would not load.

Finally relied on the tomtom official map app but stopped looking at mileage to turn and looked for highway names.
Get Mapquest for iPhone, it is free and has free voice navigation.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 22:25   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
Get Mapquest for iPhone, it is free and has free voice navigation.
Thanks, downloading!

Don't hear a voice, does that only work if in a moving vehicle?

Tomorrow if I have time, new phones!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:52   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
As far as Doodles saying they are the best, well, they have been the best selling, but not sure I'd agree they are the best. Probably the best at marketing though.
They may be big now but they haven't always been and they have always had a passionate cult-like following. What other computer/phone maker can say that? I switched to Macs several years ago, then came the iPhone and iPad. I've never seen such quality and service with any other product bar none. As you can probably tell I'm now part of the "cult" and proud of it.
Old 08-10-2012, 21:57   #85

New Smartphones!

99% of what it does is still hidden to me, but I will catch on.

My wife and I love the larger size display and keyboard. Wiggets beat icons hands down when you want quick info like temps or headlines without opening apps or browsers.

I installed the app for this site. Over 10,000 downloads. High marks.

This post done on the new smartphone on the android app.

Works well.
Old 09-10-2012, 15:35   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
They may be big now but they haven't always been and they have always had a passionate cult-like following. What other computer/phone maker can say that? I switched to Macs several years ago, then came the iPhone and iPad. I've never seen such quality and service with any other product bar none. As you can probably tell I'm now part of the "cult" and proud of it.
I still don't understand the cult following they have. Based on the large number of people I deal with on a regular basis, I have determined part of it just seems to be they don't know any better. If what you have works and works well, you have less of a desire to see if there is anything better. What many don't realize though is that there are better options that really do things better. But if you don't know it, you don't miss it

Regardless, they are going to face some stiffer competition I think moving forward. Already Android has surpassed them and I think Windows Phone and Surface are going to make a compelling choice offering end of the month.

And for the record, I had 2 iPhones (3G and 4), an android and now a windows phone.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix

I still don't understand the cult following they have. Based on the large number of people I deal with on a regular basis, I have determined part of it just seems to be they don't know any better. If what you have works and works well, you have less of a desire to see if there is anything better. What many don't realize though is that there are better options that really do things better. But if you don't know it, you don't miss it

Regardless, they are going to face some stiffer competition I think moving forward. Already Android has surpassed them and I think Windows Phone and Surface are going to make a compelling choice offering end of the month.

And for the record, I had 2 iPhones (3G and 4), an android and now a windows phone.
Of course you're right about not knowing what we may be missing. I guess I'm just a bit addicted to having all my devices synced via iCloud and before that MobileMe. I'd really be hard pressed to give that up.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Of course you're right about not knowing what we may be missing. I guess I'm just a bit addicted to having all my devices synced via iCloud and before that MobileMe. I'd really be hard pressed to give that up.
The syncing is nice. I'm actually going to get my wife the new Lumia 920 when it comes out so we can do more sharing of stuff between us.

I know Windows devices can share and sync same as Apple, but I'm not sure about Android. I've never really had a desire to sync much more than music and some photos - my photo collection is simply to large to have them all shared/sync'd.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34   #89

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Funny, Steve Jobs used to say he stole a lot of ideas from other people.

I did see Google's response to Apple's win over Samsung, it was pretty funny.

Basically they said, we own Motorola, they invented the cell phone technology, please try to sue us and see what happens.

I own a EVO 3D smart Phone (I wanted it for the dual processors) and a Asus Transformer TF-300T. I love them both, downloaded the free chartplotter app and maps. AWESOME.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51   #90

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
The syncing is nice. I'm actually going to get my wife the new Lumia 920 when it comes out so we can do more sharing of stuff between us.

I know Windows devices can share and sync same as Apple, but I'm not sure about Android. I've never really had a desire to sync much more than music and some photos - my photo collection is simply to large to have them all shared/sync'd.
I've always used google to sync my mail, calendar, and contacts, even when I had an iphone. Totally instant and invisible. It just magically appears. My wife and I use shared google calendars to keep our life straight and they sync between my droid phone and her iphone.

I much prefer the android operating system, but I don't like the antennas on the galaxy S2X (both gps and cell). Both suck.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote