Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 17:45   #16

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'
Re: Slapping halyards

I agree that many people who can afford boats and who enjoy sailing know very little about life aboard. They probably don't even know the standard methods for quieting a slapping halyard... yes, doing it for them is OK. Mentioning how to do it if you ever see them is OK, assuming they are a listening type. I'd avoid leaving a note until the second time... that way, you've given them the benefit of the doubt that they are people of good will who simply were not thinking about this possibility. There have been marinas we've visited where the masts sounded like a temple full of gongs once the wind kicked up a bit! And then there are the in-mast furling slots that moan... I've heard they make an aftermarket slot blocker one can haul up for that problem :-)
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:04   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJacocks View Post
Most marinas have rules against allowing halyards to be slapping against the mast, for that very reason. check into the marina rules and have the harbor master take them to task.

hell the slips have MORE boats with this "problem" than out in the mooring field
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:12   #18

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

I was going to say I've NEVER been in the Corpus Christi Municiple Marina when it didn't sound like the revence of the children with pots.

Of course, it's ALWAYS windy, and I'm only there to look at the boats on the weekends, but they're never quiet.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:20   #19

Boat: Grampian 26

just go to the dollar store and get 2 bungies
do yourself and this mast slapper a favor and do it right.
leave a note that says appreciate you keeping the halyards tight, I started you with a free set of bungies.
signed
a friendly liveabord

PS; next time zippy straps
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:28   #20

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

I tie a dirty piece of line (for repeat offenders)to the noisy halyard as high as I can reach and use lots of knots!

Oooh!Tie wraps!I hadn't thought of that..........
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:40   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Wow. It's unanimus, or nearly so!

Yeah, I've done it too. Often they simply don't know and will figure it out when they see it fixed. Sometimes it also helps to mention that the halyard is chafing (which it often is).
Old 20-06-2011, 14:10   #22

Boat: Seeker 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Underdog

Lots of talk here about tightening halyards. I am on a marina and the problem of this noise is continuous. I often climb on board the absentee sailors toy and fix it - usually by loosening the halyards - almost always stops the slap.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 14:24   #23

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Why be dickheads about it? Just wrap the halyards around the spreader, tie them off and leave a note explaining (1) how to do it and (2) why they should. Most people aren't even aware of the nuisance.
Good man... and good idea for the first (or occasional) offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsboat View Post
I tie a dirty piece of line (for repeat offenders)to the noisy halyard as high as I can reach and use lots of knots!

Oooh!Tie wraps!I hadn't thought of that..........
yes, sadly there are some that will not 'get it'... my preference is to be far enough away from other boats that it does not matter.... but tough to do in a marina or mooring field.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 14:30   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

problem is, in an anchorage, there is NOT enough room to be far away from the disrespectful individual.......is too bad some folks do not have respect for either their own boat, as this does damage to their boat s well as to neighbors sleeping capability. fouling the lines reound the spreadrs is a workable solution-- they should a done this before leaving their boats.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 14:59   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have asked my neighbor in a very friendly way. He got the idea and agrees. There was no need to do anything. A lot of people just don't come down to their boat when it is blowing and simply don't know any better.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 16:13   #26

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Why be dickheads about it? Just wrap the halyards around the spreader, tie them off and leave a note explaining (1) how to do it and (2) why they should. Most people aren't even aware of the nuisance.
There is a mature response.

I don't own a boat but had always noticed the custom was to hook the halyard to one of the lifelines at the marina where my club is located. I hadn't understood why not leave it attached to the sail until I read this exchange.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 16:23   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

First time: note and cheap tie down line they give you at Home Depot to tie down your load
Second time: zip ties
Third time: many layers of ducttape over zip ties.

This assumes I get the courage to go on someone elses boat when they're not around.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 16:31   #28

I donated a few well worn bungee cords to a close, seldom seen neighbor. Several months later the bungees were still in the same place that I put them, although his bimini had a lot more shredding than it did previously. I guess some folks forget that they have a boat in the marina????
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 17:53   #29

Boat: o'day 302

i cant sleep without that noise...i spend my winter four months on the water and thats wind chimes in my ears...now if a neighbor came over and politely asked i have no problem tieing off the stays..if your rude however, we'll be the ones firing bottle rockets over your boat at 1am crankin the metal tunes...politeness goes the distance.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 06:56   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

So the owner of the boat that makes the most noise came to his boat yesterday for a change (to prep for the hurricane). So I asked hm if he would secure is lines so they don't slap, which he said he would.

Afterwards his boat is still making as much noise een with the halyard secured. he rows over a says it is the mast electrical wiring and tells me a story of haqving lived on his boat for years with the noise. Gues if you get tired enough you sleep though anything because I heard this down below on my boat.

But the thing that I wonder is why he isn't a little more concerned about electrical wires in the mast that have been slapping around!