Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2012, 14:56   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Slapping halyards I like. Buoy bells I like. Hull slap I like.

Noisy kids and pets. No way. By the attitude in this thread I am interpreting that I have a right to board other people's boats and silence their kids and dogs?
I see - so you set the rules on what is is acceptable noise and what is not?

How about respecting other people and making your boat quiet, just in case they haven't been sent a copy of your rules.

As for your comment that slapping halyards does not cause chafe, I would like the name of your rope supplier please.

Old 12-07-2012, 18:51   #107

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Quote:
Am I the only one who takes their halyard off and secures to a handrail etc after each sail - Don Lucas
Nope I am with you. I take my halyard off and have a small 6 inch loose 1/2 line around my traveler track which is in front of my dodger elevated on pads.I shackled the halyard to it and tighten, pulling it away from the mast. That way its I try not to bother others with my halyards hitting the mast so we use a few bungees when we leave her in the slip.

Dave

chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:26   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor

I see - so you set the rules on what is is acceptable noise and what is not?

How about respecting other people and making your boat quiet, just in case they haven't been sent a copy of your rules.

As for your comment that slapping halyards does not cause chafe, I would like the name of your rope supplier please.
It interesting that you turn around what has been said. I have never indicated I would board anyone's boat and make their halyards slap but the majority clearly believe they have a right to board private property (an illegal act of trespass) to stop halyard slap which is not illegal.

I am not setting any rules. Slap your halyard, dont slap your halyard. Noisy dog not noisy dog. Noisy kid not noisy kid.

I never said slapping halyard does not cause chafe. I questioned zee's warning that failure was imminent. Not my experience after 5 years.

Seems like a lot of people getting worked up over some rope.

Lighten up people...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:35   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've got external halyards, tie the sail end to a padeye or life line and wrap the other side of the halyard around the spreader. Takes care of any noise from the halyard. I've been known to do the same to offending boats in my vicinity. No excuse for being rude allowing halyards to slam against the mast. Probably largely a function of people with too much money buying boats without knowing anything about boat etiquette let alone sailing it.

Now where is a motorcycle to piss on??
Old 12-07-2012, 23:58   #110

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It seems to me we have two somewhat contradictory standards here. The first is one of etiquette; every endeavor has its traditions, expectations, etiquette, call it what you will. For the cruising and liveaboard communities that etiquette is quite extensive, and varies a bit geographically. But it certainly includes an expectation to minimize annoyances to others, including running generators/noisy wind generators at night, loud parties late at night, and yes, slapping halyards. Unfortunately day sailors, lake sailors, and the like are often clueless to this etiquette - and to be fair, it usually isn't part of their world, much less etiquette.

The second standard is that of privacy and trespass, including boarding a boat. The law is pretty clear for a ship, and I would hazard a guess that it applies to boats as well: don't board unless permission is received, except as needed to protect the property in an emergency. I look at it this way: If someone is aboard, or returning soon, then the direct approach is the only appropriate thing to do. A friendly tip about sailing etiquette is usually well received if delivered nicely, at least in my experience. Most new cruisers usually appreciate the heads-up, and older cruisers rarely let their halyards slap. The biggest problem comes from the day-sailors, as they are often not there to talk to, are likely to be completely unaware, and may not be back until spring. Whether it is legal or not - I am not a lawyer - I do not consider those boats homes, and I do feel justified in respectfully boarding the boat for the sole purpose of securing the halyards. The duct tape idea was amusing, but ultimately something I wouldn't do. I really like the gift of a bungee cord as a first effort, followed by twine and ultimately cable ties, but I would hope the opportunity to have a chat would avail itself before things got that far.

As for those who don't give a damn about disturbing others, there is little to be done when peer pressure fails to stem anti-social behavior. It is rare among cruisers, but still there. Everyone has their stories about such folk. When I first left the US I got involved with the Baja Race Week. There was one fellow, among about 50 boats, who insisted on running a dry stack generator after dinner until bedtime. It sounded like a .50 caliber machine gun. Every night when he turned it off the applause rose throughout the anchorage. Even his lady crew was angry about it, but still he persisted until the end of the week. Such a person who cares so little for others doesn't miss the friendships they don't have. The only thing I can recommend is not to let them know where you're going next...

Greg
Old 13-07-2012, 02:01   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well greg, yours is probably the most adult post on this thread. Boarding anthers mans (or woman's) boat without permission is just not on unless someones life or the boat (or another boat) is in danger.

Slapping halyards are a bitch to listen to when you are trying got fall asleep. Talk to the harbor master. This kind of thing is their job (they have an obligation to keep the noise down in the harbor).

Having said all that - I wouldn't like anyone boarding my boat to fasten a halyard, but hey - lets lighten up - it just doesn't qualify as criminal trespass. Impolite and shows a lack of proper upbringing perhaps but probably not worth shooting the offender for (we don't have "stand your ground" laws here in Denmark)
Old 13-07-2012, 02:30   #112
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I have running light boards, each with 4 non-load bearing cleats for halyards (not in use), flag halyards. fender storage, etc. This replaces the pin rail that had 3 pins.
Old 13-07-2012, 02:35   #113

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Last winter my tie that i use on one of my halyards and it slapped for up to 3 months and rubbed on my shrouds, I would have had no problem if someone had retied it.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 02:40   #114

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Carstenb - Thanks for the compliment.

I do not like the idea of anyone boarding my boat for any reason, without my permission, unless it is an emergency. That said, when I first launched Carina back in 1980 I failed to secure the halyards, and a nearby houseboat owner "kindly" secured them for me with the ugliest bit of nylon mooring rope I have ever seen. When I saw that on my boat I wasn't angry at the trespass; I was embarrassed at my own thoughtlessness. I think most people would feel the same - at least I hope so. As for the sanctity of a boat, I regularly board other boats - to close open hatches when it starts to rain. No one has ever complained of the trespass...

Greg
Old 13-07-2012, 03:08   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Greg,

I also will board someone else's boat to close a hatch when it is raining. I've also boarded a boat when one of their dock lines slipped and the boat banging away at the pier.

And no one complained (I told them I had been on board when they returned). Do I allow people to just come into my yard at home? Depends on why they are coming in. If it is to help me, fine. To retrieve a ball or kite or the like - no problem for me.

But I don't like anyone sitting on my motorcycle without my permission either. However - there is a difference between motorcycle sitting and closing a hatch in the rain.
Old 13-07-2012, 04:41   #116
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

seems some people with very strong aganist feelings for boarding of a boat to secure a halyard have interesting things that are OK to board for
Old 13-07-2012, 06:56   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What's with all these bungees and duct tape anyway? Am I the only one who takes their halyard off and secures to a handrail etc after each sail (acturally I'm currently attaching to the end of my boom and using it to lift the boom so the sail cover doesn't drag and wear on the dodger & bimini).
Nope, I even went so far as to put Aladdin cleats on the shrouds to attach the halyards to!!
Old 13-07-2012, 08:22   #118

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I think Slapping Halyards would be an interesting boat name. Would make people wonder about the new neighbor when moving into a new slip. Lol
Old 13-07-2012, 09:42   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I think Slapping Halyards would be an interesting boat name. Would make people wonder about the new neighbor when moving into a new slip. Lol
Right on!!
Old 13-07-2012, 15:40   #120
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I agree about boarding a boat without permission. Even when I boarded a boat to extinguish a fire I felt uneasy. When people tell me to go on board thier boat when they are not there I am uncomfortable. Before boarding I reach from the dock to knack....a boat is a very personal space in an impersonal world.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: