Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 00:17   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,010
Images: 3
Re: Slapping Halyards

i spent a few years without a boat, one of the things i really missed was lying in bed listening to the halyards tapping. Also tells me what the weather is doing. I'm a member of the (fellow kiwi) peter blake school when it comes to boat intruders, damn shame his elephant gun jammed.
__________________

__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:04   #77
Registered User
 
dirkdig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Geelong,Australia
Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Posts: 838
I always tell the boats around me if somethings flapping feel free to hop on and fix it to stop it driving you mad.
I also have my contact details on display too if there is a need to get me quick.
__________________

__________________
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43   #78
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,195
Re: Slapping Halyards

some of you need to read the whole thread, this boat has been slapping for years and all the polite asking has been done

and you can not just "move" your mooring, get real!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47   #79
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,104
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
NEWS FLASH: Man with V8 Motorcycle Fails to Find Irritating Noises Bothersome.
Gary,

You would love my '65 Shelby Cobra with the Roush 427ER. Straight pipes, no balance tube. You can almost count the cylinder detonations.



Oh yeah!!, boats--I tie my halyards off to protect my high gloss painted wooden spars.

I am more irritated by those damn banshee howling furl up mains.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15   #80
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,259
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Slapping halyards are a sign of very poor seamanship.
Yes. A sign of poor seamanship. Survey your own marina, and you'll see that the mariners with chronically noisy halyards tend to be those who are clueless about things nautical. The fellow who likes to run his halyards straight down the mast also tends to want to run them under his sail cover. That way things get twice as wet when it rains, and the mildew has a heyday.

Real sailors take care of their lines.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16   #81
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,012
Images: 5
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
If I were renting a space near abandoned boats, I suspect I would feel a literary Licence to help out where I could. I would inform the marina people of the problem, and ask their permission to board those boats to do needed gestures to help their boats. I would get written permission to be on those boats, and leave the marina a receipt for materials, to be deducted from my bill. If you approached the marina in that way, I am sure they would see you were serious, needed assistance, and they would do the needed Maintance for you, and charge the appropriate owners. Problem solved, either way. All Karma intact.
I think that is a total of four assumptions. The harbor prople could care less. I pay slip fees yet they allow the homeless to use all the facilities here. A friend of mine wanted to contact a boat owner to see if they wanted to sell their IP 32 which is quickly becoming run down. The harbor said no. She asked if they could take her number and pass it on...same answer and all the time kicked back in their over stuffed chair.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13   #82
Registered User
 
GaryMayo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

Yes. A sign of poor seamanship. Survey your own marina, and you'll see that the mariners with chronically noisy halyards tend to be those who are clueless about things nautical. The fellow who likes to run his halyards straight down the mast also tends to want to run them under his sail cover. That way things get twice as wet when it rains, and the mildew has a heyday.

Real sailors take care of their lines.
Ok, I will quit doing that, thanks!
__________________
W.I.B. Crealock when asked what he thought of the easily trailerable Clipper Marine sailboats by a naval design collegue, Gentelman Bill responded, "I am very proud of them".
www.clippermarine.org & www.clipper-sailor.net
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27   #83
Registered User
 
GaryMayo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
I think that is a total of four assumptions. The harbor prople could care less. I pay slip fees yet they allow the homeless to use all the facilities here. A friend of mine wanted to contact a boat owner to see if they wanted to sell their IP 32 which is quickly becoming run down. The harbor said no. She asked if they could take her number and pass it on...same answer and all the time kicked back in their over stuffed chair.
Every marina has a personality. Sounds like where you slip, they really do not care much about how things look, or circumstances dictate there is not much they can do about some things Not all marinas are that way.

Homeless is another word for lazy or sometimes crazy. 99% of the time, long term homeless is a personal choice. It is a shame their choice is in our face. I have a business where homeless people walk by going to the mission two blocks away. I see them all day long. Courts are ruling in favor of homeless people and their rights. In my city, they can sleep on any public sidewalk, and they do. Personally, I would not boat where people are coming and going where they have no business. I get my fill of that at work. My lake is a 20 mile drive to nowhere, and that is fine by me. I have seen lakes, oceans in the middle of populated areas. You get riffraff or you get gated communities that only the rich can afford.
__________________
W.I.B. Crealock when asked what he thought of the easily trailerable Clipper Marine sailboats by a naval design collegue, Gentelman Bill responded, "I am very proud of them".
www.clippermarine.org & www.clipper-sailor.net
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29   #84
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,712
Re: Slapping Halyards

Don Lucas,

Just get on the boat and tie the halyard off. The owners have no idea there boat is making noise because they are never on it.

Maybe they will get the hint after a short time.

"Silence is golden"
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 13:58   #85
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,195
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Don Lucas,

Just get on the boat and tie the halyard off. The owners have no idea there boat is making noise because they are never on it.

Maybe they will get the hint after a short time.

"Silence is golden"

I did go and secure their halyard.

They use the boat. We were on the boat one morning after I had put a laminated note on their lifelines asking them to please secure their halyard so it wouldn't slap against the mast at night when they showed up. We watched them go about in confusion trying to figure out how to do it, but finally went out sailing. When we got back that day they were gone and the halyard was still slapping and secured to the main under the cover, but the lazy jack lines were tied together. So they tired, but just couldn't see the need to remove the halyard from the main sail in order to secure it.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 14:10   #86
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,712
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I did go and secure their halyard.

They use the boat. We were on the boat one morning after I had put a laminated note on their lifelines asking them to please secure their halyard so it wouldn't slap against the mast at night when they showed up. We watched them go about in confusion trying to figure out how to do it, but finally went out sailing. When we got back that day they were gone and the halyard was still slapping and secured to the main under the cover, but the lazy jack lines were tied together. So they tired, but just couldn't see the need to remove the halyard from the main sail in order to secure it.
Passions Grass Hopper. You must teach them well.
You must show them the way.
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 16:33   #87
Registered User
 
chef2sail's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parkville, MD
Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Posts: 147
Images: 2
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
some of you need to read the whole thread, this boat has been slapping for years and all the polite asking has been done

and you can not just "move" your mooring, get real! DonLucas



I did read your entire post before I responded, obviously you cannot deal with an answer you do not like just like this boats halyard


Quote:
I did go and secure their halyard.

They use the boat. We were on the boat one morning after I had put a laminated note on their lifelines asking them to please secure their halyard so it wouldn't slap against the mast at night when they showed up. We watched them go about in confusion trying to figure out how to do it, but finally went out sailing. When we got back that day they were gone and the halyard was still slapping and secured to the main under the cover, but the lazy jack lines were tied together. So they tired, but just couldn't see the need to remove the halyard from the main sail in order to secure it.-Don Lucas
So heres the scenario...you saw them...you watched them...you didnt go over and address them or confront them or show them, as obviously they tried to do it ..you wait till they do it incorrectly, and leave and then board their boat. Thats passive agressive.

To affect real change and teach them ( they obviously tried) you need to confront them. If this bothers you so much go on over and make an issue of it when they are there, not hide behind the curtains of your boat watching them. . If it bothers you get the harbormaster when they are there. If either the harbor master or the people with the boat with the halyards dont agree with it then get over it. You cannot force other people to "yield" to your wishes. Your boarding their boat to do something which they obviously amy not want to do or in this case tried to do, what right do you have to do that. Why is it you think your opinion is so more right or important than theirs that you will go on their property and take matters into your own hands.

Lets make this a common sense real land scenario. You dont like my flags flapping in the wind outside my house and you live next door. You call the police and they tell you no way they are getting involved. You tell me it bothers you and I either ignore you or tell you to grow up. So you wait till I leave, trespass on my property and tie up my flag or duct tape it. I have you arrested or I wait for you to do it and confront you physically. Do you think you are going to come out on the correct side of the law here? The reason you are so brave to do what you do is because they are not there.

Neverthless you really have another option, you may not like it and obviously refuse to consider it ( see above) but you can leave. No one is forcing you to stay there. Obviously it does not bother the other people who are around you enough as they dont seem to mind it enough to board the boat. You are truly the one with 2 problems here. One-you have a very low tolerance/ threshold for others and Two- You have no respect for someone elses property

Dave
__________________
Dave and Donna
S/V Haleakula
Parkville, MD
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 16:47   #88
Registered User
 
GaryMayo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Posts: 1,211
Re: Slapping Halyards

We all have times in our lives we do things one way, and another way may be a better solution. Thank godness, most times we do not go postal, but a solution a lot less aggressive, even though it may still not be the way Mr. Rogers would do it in his neighborhood.

Here, we have a sailing family, and this family has used solutions from Duct Tape, to Chinese bungee cords, to helping people directly.

I think we can all agree, we love boating, we love the water, and we love our fellow sailors, 99% of the time.

I learned something new to me, don't wrap the cover over the halyards. Thanks for that. I will do it better next time.
__________________
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 17:15   #89
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,195
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Neverthless you really have another option, you may not like it and obviously refuse to consider it ( see above) but you can leave. No one is forcing you to stay there. Obviously it does not bother the other people who are around you enough as they dont seem to mind it enough to board the boat. You are truly the one with 2 problems here. One-you have a very low tolerance/ threshold for others and Two- You have no respect for someone elses property

Dave
Thanks for you input that didn't agree with mine! Or any of the other responders that agreed with me.

I think SN is missing you. I see no reason to address all your "points", but thanks for your input!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:08   #90
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,012
Images: 5
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Every marina has a personality. Sounds like where you slip, they really do not care much about how things look, or circumstances dictate there is not much they can do about some things Not all marinas are that way.

Homeless is another word for lazy or sometimes crazy. 99% of the time, long term homeless is a personal choice. It is a shame their choice is in our face. I have a business where homeless people walk by going to the mission two blocks away. I see them all day long. Courts are ruling in favor of homeless people and their rights. In my city, they can sleep on any public sidewalk, and they do. Personally, I would not boat where people are coming and going where they have no business. I get my fill of that at work. My lake is a 20 mile drive to nowhere, and that is fine by me. I have seen lakes, oceans in the middle of populated areas. You get riffraff or you get gated communities that only the rich can afford.
Ya...it's a real drag sometimes. I'm not here long time. I'm on the Ca. Delta. The further up you go, the worst it gets. I'm sure at the top of the Delta you could see a kid on a train trestle playing a banjo...
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.