Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41   #61

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce

Do you display a phone number so people can complain or volunteer to correct the situation?

(Blanked out the number for purposes of the Internet for obvious reasons. Beware of watchbear!)
Yes, our phone number is on the boat.

"In case of emergency or to just say hello, call 000 000 0000". The marina also has our number, and our boat is the closest boat to the marina.

Now I stretch a bungie cord across my seat of the motorcycle to keep people off. No phone number on the bike.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01   #62

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Slapping Halyards

Gee we will never board your boat !!! never even if your boat is on fire we will call your number and let ya know !!! some folks care enough about things like noise that causes damage to both halyards and mast and other related equipment to try and help, but some folks just don't understand !! sorry you mistook careing for boarding for bad reasons! If you have ever been in an anchorage with a dozen or so other boats half of which have slapping halyards with a little wind blowing, you might know what we are talking about! sorry if ya got the wrong idea, we apoligize!!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I hear a halyard slap and it sounds better than lots of noises I get to hear all day long.
NEWS FLASH: Man with V8 Motorcycle Fails to Find Irritating Noises Bothersome.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32   #64

Boat: Cal 2-27

How can an irritating noise not be irritating"

Article should state: Man with V8 Motorcycle fails to find noises irritating:-)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
How can an irritating noise not be irritating"

Article should state: Man with V8 Motorcycle fails to find noises irritating:-)
Go back and read it again; you've missed a word.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40   #66

Boat: Cal 2-27

Who is to say a noise is irritating.

JK. You got me.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

News Flash II:- If you hear a loud and irritating motorcycle, therefore all motorcycles are loud and irritating. Hmmm...I don't think so.
A slapping halyard is irritating as long as the wind is making it so. There is no key to turn it off. It's all about being respectful. If you do not like bikes, then you don't. Hardly a comparison.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:35   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
NEWS FLASH: Man with V8 Motorcycle Fails to Find Irritating Noises Bothersome.

very Zen
Old 10-07-2012, 21:30   #69

Ot is all about respect for others peoples privacy, others peoples space, and others peoples peace and quiet. Our boat has more bungles on it than most any three boats, to control noise, and most of the time, it is 100% quiet. Has it ever made a noise? I am sure it has as we do not live in a perfect world.

However, if a neighbors boat started making a creek, slap, bang, burp, tinkle, or ping, and I was pretty sure the boat was not harming itself, or another boat, I would refocus my thoughts, on my world, and not let it bother me.

If I saw a boat in trouble, I would render aid, because, again, respect for smother persons property. I would help if I could. If the help needed was greater than I could minister, I would seek the help of others.

We have a small dock, 20 boats, and everyone gets along, and we help when we can, and we don't nit pick the little stuff. A boat comes in, and everyone helps tie her off. All good people, getting along.

Several comments here on this thread seem a little like I have displeased them with my attitude. I think rather, you did not understand my attitude. Hopefully this post goes into enough detail for you to know that I will as much as possible, keep my dog from pissing on your fence, and if your dog pisses on my fence, no big deal, Now if your dog pisses on my motorcycles, well that is a horse of a different color. Lol
Old 10-07-2012, 22:06   #70

Motorcycles. I have pretty much abandoned them, in favor of life at my local lake. In years past, I lived on bikes. Gold Wings mostly. I am a life member of GWTA (Gold Wing Touring Assocation). Not a Harley type biker, but we did go to Sturgis every year for a decade or so. Nice rides in the Black Hills.

About a year ago, last fall, I got the itch for a sailboat again. I had sat out sailing about 25 years. Now 55, it was now or never to pick up the sport again, as not many active years left.

Last year I did not ride the V8 at all, and this year only three times. I have to come to terms with selling it. I hate to, as I designed most of what you can see on the bike, and some of what you can't. Bikes are so dangerous, from so many directions at once. In every city, every year, very good riders die, from taking chances, gravel on the road, other drivers, drunks, dogs, deer, you name it. Road hazards take on a killing power when you ride outside a vehicle, as opposed to inside a vehicle.

I also have a Gold Wing, with a side car attachment, and trailer. I also seldom ride that, once this year.

Sailing is where I am more comfortable sitting in my retirement years. I will sell my business one of these days, and my wife will retire, and I hope we have many quiet days just hanging out on the boat, and maybe getting in some sailing when the winds are light. My wife dislikes heeling. She can lean on a motorcycle, and not scream. What gives?

Someone suggested my V8 might be on the loud side? Na. More like shock and awe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2244952474.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	43255  
Old 10-07-2012, 22:27   #71

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

I agree I dont like slapping halyards.

I have to agree with Mr Mayo heare that you dont have the right to go on sommeone elses boat. You can inform the offending party that it annoys you, you can contact the harbormaster, you can get another mooring

Boarding someone elses boat unless there is an emergency is not your right. It is tresspassing. Would you board my boat if my American flag and club burgees flapped in the wind all the time. Would you board my boat and remove my stero if you didnt like the music I palyed when moored.

Rowing across and boarding and unoccupied boat, or board on in a marina without permission is a chickens way out and the ultimate in passive agressive behavior.

I say try it when the person is onboard. Without permission go aboard their boat unannounced and univited and move their halyard to the rail or duck tape it and see what happens. Now thats what a confident person would do. I can tell you what...if you boarded my boat unannounced and fiddled with my equipment...my response would not be passive agressive to you.

Not everyone sees the world as you do, and the adult approach is to understand that they have that right. You can move if they dont agree with you.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:42   #72

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I have to agree with Mr Mayo heare that you dont have the right to go on sommeone elses boat. You can inform the offending party that it annoys you, you can contact the harbormaster, you can get another mooring

Boarding someone elses boat unless there is an emergency is not your right. It is tresspassing. Would you board my boat if my American flag and club burgees flapped in the wind all the time. Would you board my boat and remove my stero if you didnt like the music I palyed when moored.

Rowing across and boarding and unoccupied boat, or board on in a marina without permission is a chickens way out and the ultimate in passive agressive behavior.

I say try it when the person is onboard. Without permission go aboard their boat unannounced and univited and move their halyard to the rail or duck tape it and see what happens. Now thats what a confident person would do. I can tell you what...if you boarded my boat unannounced and fiddled with my equipment...my response would not be passive agressive to you.

Not everyone sees the world as you do, and the adult approach is to understand that they have that right. You can move if they dont agree with you.

Dave
You know...all that is fine and dandy if a person is there. In the harbor where I'm at, most of these owners haven't seen their boat for at least a year...probably more. The person that oversees the harbor (I'll never call him Harbor master) could care less. So yes...I board through the 1" liken and moss growing on the deck and donate a harbor freight plastic end bungee.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:57   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail

Dave
Dave, you and I must have watched the same reruns of Kung **! Watch about three episodes and getting along with others is a lot easier. lol. Did you know every show had exactly two short fights? He never started a fight and always won, as I recall.

You mentioned duct tape. Putting duct tape on a neighbors boat is akin to vandalism. I hope no one here would really do that to another persons boat.

You also mentioned stereo. At the marina, I dislike any radio noise. I get out of the city full of noise. At the lake, I want to hear birds, fish, bugs, children, a pet or two, and the wind. I always hope everyone has their radio off. If not, I filter it out in my own head.

In college, a friend of mine, had a suite mate that used to blast his stereo. The dean did nothing. I took a lamp cord, and cut it off, wiring the ends of the wires together, and taped over them. I handed this to my friend, and I told him to plug this into the wall, and remove it again, when he wanted quiet. When the neighbors would blast their stereo, he plugged in the shorted cord, and would blow the breakers for their rooms. This happened several times, till the stereo guys figured their amps were doing it, and they kept it turned down. Was doing this good Karma? Iffy, but peace and quiet prevailed. In a way, what I helped do was electrical vandalism. As an adult, would I do it again? No. Could have started a fire, could have gotten people hurt. Much better to do front door diplomacy than back door shananagons. All part of growing up.
Old 10-07-2012, 23:07   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
You know...all that is fine and dandy if a person is there. In the harbor where I'm at, most of these owners haven't seen their boat for at least a year...probably more. The person that oversees the harbor (I'll never call him Harbor master) could care less. So yes...I board through the 1" liken and moss growing on the deck and donate a harbor freight plastic end bungee.
If I were renting a space near abandoned boats, I suspect I would feel a literary Licence to help out where I could. I would inform the marina people of the problem, and ask their permission to board those boats to do needed gestures to help their boats. I would get written permission to be on those boats, and leave the marina a receipt for materials, to be deducted from my bill. If you approached the marina in that way, I am sure they would see you were serious, needed assistance, and they would do the needed Maintance for you, and charge the appropriate owners. Problem solved, either way. All Karma intact.
Old 10-07-2012, 23:52   #75

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Gary,

I totally agree with your method. I like you enjoy the peace and quiet. If I found out my boat was bothering someone else's serenity I would fix it. That beings said some of the posters here talked about taking upon he selves to board the boat.

No way.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote