Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2012, 16:27   #136
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Slapping Halyards

People who live in a world of rules consider etiquette to be obsolete and antiquated, "why should I go out of my way to do something for someone else if I don't have to". One of the endearing beauties of boat life is that people do.

Old 15-07-2012, 16:57   #137

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee
People who live in a world of rules consider etiquette to be obsolete and antiquated, "why should I go out of my way to do something for someone else if I don't have to". One of the endearing beauties of boat life is that people do.
I don't have to do a lot of things I just do cause its right. If your ass is hard up and your boat is bad off I'll do everything I can to help. You do this because you can. That's why. Were you an ass in trouble and I could help I would still do everything I can to help you. Your kidding right.

Old 15-07-2012, 17:18   #138
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I don't have to do a lot of things I just do cause its right. If your ass is hard up and your boat is bad off I'll do everything I can to help. You do this because you can. That's why. Were you an ass in trouble and I could help I would still do everything I can to help you. Your kidding right.
Obviously I wasn't referring to you, it's the height of the summer season along with the "weekend yachties" that fit with the point I was trying to make.
Old 15-07-2012, 19:42   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
Rude because I'm being judgmental? Just for pointing out a sign of poor seamanship?

I readily admit that if we made a list of all the signs of poor seamanship, we'll all offend a few. For example, I leave winch handles in the winches after a tack. And I never flemish-flake my docklines (as befits the owner of a dock cat.) We have forum members who use plastic-dip on their lines rather than whipping them properly. We even had someone on the forum who once insisted that it was okay to tilt his outboard up at a dinghy dock.

Whether I'm on the hook or in my slip, I spend a great deal of my time aboard reading. (Read Michael Pollan's A Place of My Own this weekend. An interesting book if you're at all interested in postmodern architecture and/or writing.) When I read, I tend to listen to classical music. When I listen to classical music and someone's halyard is beating the wrong tempo, it denigrates the entire experience for me. This is why I purchase cheap bungies by the bag and distribute them liberally throughout the marina. It's a polite way to keep those who are musically insensitive from walking all over the adagio with their freaking halyards.
Now out of tempo halyard slap is dispicable and show signs of terrible musicianship...

I get the whole halyard slap argument so horse-dead-beat.

However it seems lately around here we are all quick to pull the poor seaman epithet too early. For a bunch of folks who spend a ton of time on the water this is a pretty hard insult to let pass. Particualrly when halyard slap is a way milder sin than leaving the winch handle in - LOL...

Call me a bunch of other things I wont care. Poor seaman bites too hard. And before someone says, "you let your halyard slap, ergo, you are a poor seaman," let us not forget the certificate if the guy who graduates last in med school still says doctor on it. 100% is not the measure.

If one wishes to include line coiling sail flaking and all the "traditional" stuff in the areana of "seamanship" then, technically it is correct. Practially most of that stuff matters very little, if at all, in terms of navigating a sailboat from point A to B.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 19:44   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

Seven years on the same halyards? I thought you sailed more than that.

Seriously, my jib halyard is six years old, and I'm fretting about whether it will make it through the summer. Maybe we need a thread on expected lifetimes for running rigging among active, year-round sailors.
Unfortunately my main halyard is due. It is a wire/rope spliced jobbie and I am not looking forward to replacing it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 03:53   #141
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Update

So after having moved the slapping halyard to a handrail 2 weekends ago I returned this weekend and the owner had taken the time to remove it from the sail before he left the boat. he secured it to a different place, but that doesn't matter because he did secure it and it didn't slap all night. One of his lazy jacks lines still slaps but I only heard it when his boat swings in 1 direction and don't hear it once below so that's OK with me.

But now a another old "friend" boat has shown up back on his mooring next to me. I guess I had forgotten about this guy. His halyards are all secured, because I don't think he has even sailed his boat yet this year (I watched him motor to the mooring 2 weeks ago which is the last I've seen him). This boat's problem is that his mast wires are beating inside the mast (my guess as I can not see any loose lines), which is louder than the slapping halyards. Since I asked him about it last year I don't what I'm going to do for this one!
Old 16-07-2012, 10:34   #142

Boat: Modifying Steel Junk-rig Schooner - Tom Thumb 26

Last resort....

That's right....stuff the earplug putty into the bottle, then give it to him. While he's trying to unblock the bottle, sneak aboard and practise your coxcombing.....with his halyard, on his mast.
Old 16-07-2012, 16:21   #143

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Interesting the folks that do road rage also slip on sailboats? Who knew???

I believe the attorney general for my state slips near to me. I would not enter his boat uninvited in the dead of the night unless you want several jurisdictions of law enforcement climbing over the sides of your boat as a return visit.

If anyone will be a good neighbor, it is just possible the good neighbor mantra will be returned to you.

Is not macho more of a power boaters trip? Seems to me the sailboats are for the love, peace, and happiness crowd.

Come to think of it, everyone I have ever seen on my dock at midnight is so drunk or otherwise, I bet a dollar they could not hear a halliard slap if there were ten of them all going at once.
Old 16-07-2012, 17:06   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Interesting the folks that do road rage also slip on sailboats? Who knew???

And just how do you know this????
Old 16-07-2012, 18:36   #145
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Call me a bunch of other things I wont care. Poor seaman bites too hard. And before someone says, "you let your halyard slap, ergo, you are a poor seaman," let us not forget the certificate if the guy who graduates last in med school still says doctor on it. 100% is not the measure.
Never in a thousand years would I say, "you are a poor seaman," my friend. I know the contrary to be true; as you said, we've sailed together. My original statement was that slatting halyards were, "a sign of poor seamanship." Kinda like going aground, maybe, or hour-glassing the spinnaker, or forgetting to stow fenders--something we all do from time to time.

Apologies to anyone whose feathers I ruffled. We all have our pet peaves, and mine is the slatting halyard. I can look the other way if you own an ugly boat, but there's no way to turn the ears off if your lines are beating the big stick. Apologies.
Old 16-07-2012, 19:06   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
This boat's problem is that his mast wires are beating inside the mast (my guess as I can not see any loose lines), which is louder than the slapping halyards. Since I asked him about it last year I don't what I'm going to do for this one!
Fill his mast with expanda foam........he'll thank you for it....

Old 16-07-2012, 19:46   #147
Eternal Member

From what I can see it isn't so much dealing with the sound but rather dealing with alack of consideration in a place where you expect it.
Old 16-07-2012, 21:20   #148
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hopped on a neighbor's boat today with my boat pole. His neighbor was backing down and already smacked into one boat, and was coming in to the shared slip.

Hopped on, and had to lean in a lot to keep the other boat from smashing in.

Who wouldn't want someone to do that for them? Some people would honestly rather deal with a collision than someone "violating" your property rights? Give it a rest. Sometimes people need to hop on your boat either because you're causing them a ton of problems or to safeguard your own vessel.

They're not hopping in bed with your daughter. They're helping you or just being a normal human. It's not the end of the world.
Old 16-07-2012, 22:17   #149
Eternal Member

Two things boaters do (or should do) is respect each others space and watch out for each other ... as you pointed out to accomplish the latter sometimes you have to fore go the former, this should be accepted.
Old 17-07-2012, 03:31   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
From what I can see it isn't so much dealing with the sound but rather dealing with alack of consideration in a place where you expect it.

No it's the noise!!

I wonder if some in the no tresspass camp would go into thier nieghbors backyard and shut a patio door that had been blowing open/close and banging for a day/week/month/year even if you had asked them to latch it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: