Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 22:41   #16

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Skipper Business Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
It sounds like this fellow is looking for a business card advertising his business as a yacht skipper, not as some wanker with his own boat looking to be obnoxious.

I have quite a few boat cards from folks met in my travels. Never considered it obnoxious.
Old 31-01-2016, 21:01   #17

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Didn't think about it that way, you are correct.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:24   #18

If I ever bother with one again it will probably say:

Please forget me
If you insist on remembering me
Remember the Pancakes instead.

I'd probably pretty up the font a bit though.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:19   #19

Boat: Sunfish

Here's one my wife made for me. I work offshore with crew changing often. Its helped to build a professional network.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3608 (1).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	118150  
LongSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Skipper Business Card

I knock out my own...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20160201_18_49_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	118152  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 19:04   #21

Ultimately it is your card and your reputation, so you can include whatever you want. However, since you asked:

I feel that including any sort of credentials is unnecessary and inappropriate on a 'boat card'.

For a professional card, it's probably okay for a licensed master to style him or herself as 'Captain' ... but know that it will make you a figure of fun if you are skippering small yachts, as many people think this is very pretentious. I would suggest just your name, followed by a brief description of your qualification. E.g.,
Samantha James
USCG Master 100 tons, near coastal

Billy Mitchell
RYA Yachtmaster Offshore
Or just:
James Smith
Yacht Delivery Skipper
Including a photo is very much a matter of personal choice. It has certainly become standard for superyacht crew, at least on CVs. As I feel that this custom is completely unnecessary and subject to obvious abuse (sexism, ageism, racism), I don't play ball …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I always go when ppl cross out their info and write the updated info on the business card. Makes me wonder why they bought cards at all ..
Cards are now so cheap that there is really no excuse for that sort of thing; just order new cards as and when needed. Outdated cards with handwritten corrections look really pathetic: not the image one wishes to project, surely?
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 19:14   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Whenever someone gives me a card which lists their qualifications, my first reaction is: "Pretentious twat - Who are you you trying to impress!"

Just put on it your name, contact information and what you do.
If I need your services, that's when I will want to know about your expertise.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 20:06   #23

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevo View Post
Hello,
I want to print new business card and I want to know what usually written on skipper card "Skipper" or "Captain".
I'm private yacht skipper (30-60 ft). If you can post your own business card it will be great.
Thanks!
Nevo,

Officially, Captain is an rank one achieves; it comes with a uniform. [And a uniformed Captain wouldn't be asking this question... nothing personal, just a statement of fact...]

Skipper is either an informal nick-name for the official rank in charge of a vessel or airplane [Captain, Commander, Pilot in Charge, etc.] or, more often in our case, just a title applied to the person taking the rap for transiting a vessel.

One has to earn a rank and the informal, 'official' nick-name(s) that come with.

Titles have no formality [not to be confused with pretense or ego...] but are often a great icebreaker for those discussing one in the absence of its holder...

Skipper is always the safe way to address the person 'in charge' of a [recreational] vessel, as both uses are then covered...

Having spent most of my life in business, one observation I have made over the years is the length of one's résumé [and self-imposed title...] is inversely proportional to the breadth and depth of experience and expertise. [The most experienced and qualified typically provide the briefest of documents- always devoid of pretense...]

Food for thought, and hopefully a little helpful as well.

Best wishes on your business venture.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: I know the USCG provides the label 'Captain' for those who own their own boat for 2+ years and pass the 6-pack [100 Ton Master] exam, but I believe you will find most people feel that is akin to calling a good home cook a chef... [excepting maybe some of the 100T license holders and great home cooks...]

I enjoy the benefits of various credentials and endorsements, but don't have a title unless I'm in trouble or am attempting to embarrass myself without forethought...
Old 13-02-2016, 21:52   #24

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Nevo,

Officially, Captain is an rank one achieves; it comes with a uniform. [And a uniformed Captain wouldn't be asking this question... nothing personal, just a statement of fact...]

Skipper is either an informal nick-name for the official rank in charge of a vessel or airplane [Captain, Commander, Pilot in Charge, etc.] or, more often in our case, just a title applied to the person taking the rap for transiting a vessel.

One has to earn a rank and the informal, 'official' nick-name(s) that come with.

Titles have no formality [not to be confused with pretense or ego...] but are often a great icebreaker for those discussing one in the absence of its holder...

Skipper is always the safe way to address the person 'in charge' of a [recreational] vessel, as both uses are then covered...

Having spent most of my life in business, one observation I have made over the years is the length of one's résumé [and self-imposed title...] is inversely proportional to the breadth and depth of experience and expertise. [The most experienced and qualified typically provide the briefest of documents- always devoid of pretense...]

Food for thought, and hopefully a little helpful as well.

Best wishes on your business venture.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: I know the USCG provides the label 'Captain' for those who own their own boat for 2+ years and pass the 6-pack [100 Ton Master] exam, but I believe you will find most people feel that is akin to calling a good home cook a chef... [excepting maybe some of the 100T license holders and great home cooks...]

I enjoy the benefits of various credentials and endorsements, but don't have a title unless I'm in trouble or am attempting to embarrass myself without forethought...

The root of the term is somewhat more open.
http://www.english-for-students.com/capit.html

I am a fan of a chapeau👌
Old 13-02-2016, 22:27   #25

Quote:
Reminds me of a John Jensen cartoon in William Davis' The Corporate Infighter's Handbook (1984). It depicts two doors:
  • The one the left is large and ornate, with the following inscription on its frosted glass window: "Assistant to the Personal Adviser of the Vice-Chairman's Secretary's Confidential Counsellor - By Appointment Only"
  • The one on the right is normal sized and plain, with the following inscription on its frosted glass window: "Chairman. Enter"
Old 13-02-2016, 22:56   #26
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Not sure the USCG provides the label 'Captain'.
Where have have you seen that?
My ticket says Master Mariner or some such thing. (100 ton only, not a Master of anything big, nor was I Captain in the military. Never called myself a Captain nor would I have it printed on no business card.)
I worked as a pilot on jumbo jets for awhile and the crew addressed me as the Captain, but the official title was Pilot in Command but my ticket only said Airline Transport Pilot.
A real Captain has earned the rank in military service.
Boat owners calling themselves Captain is a bit of a joke.
Old 13-02-2016, 23:36   #27

Wink Re: Skipper Business Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not sure the USCG provides the label 'Captain'.
Where have have you seen that?
My ticket says Master Mariner or some such thing.
If you take a look, I think you'll find it says "Master of Steam, Motor or Auxiliary Sail Vessels of not more than 100 gross registered tons (domestic tonnage) upon near coastal waters", or something very similar. Nothing about Master Mariner: a term that throughout almost the entire world is conventionally reserved for those masters qualified for unlimited tonnage and geographic operation, but in the USA has confusingly been appropriated by people with restricted tickets.

Not to be pedantic, but since you raised the subject ...
Old 14-02-2016, 06:50   #28
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Not to be pedantic, but since you raised the subject .
You are probably right, I have not looked at it in a long time.
Point is however that nowhere on the ticket does it say Captain.
Old 14-02-2016, 07:09   #29

Boat: wanting a cat

HMFIC...
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 07:47   #30

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Nevo,

That's how I see it. If you're looking to be hired to operate a boat, something on the order of "Captain John Smith" would be appropriate, not "Skipper John Smith".

Tags
skipper