Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 08:48   #301

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I go for that pasty white geek look! Especially with the accent.

Margo

Hey, thats whats commonly known as a Scottish suntan.
Old 15-02-2010, 09:13   #302

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
<snip> No better therapy than the ocean - not cheaper than analysis, but better! LOL

Margo
LOL..now that's funny, and true. And better than being asked "How does that make you feel?"
Old 22-02-2010, 07:12   #303

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
We have a new member Welcome Marco

Everyone be sure to wish a Happy Birthday to Cr8tiveSailor!

Life is pretty busy here, hope everyone is doing well.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 22-02-2010, 10:33   #304

Welcome Nowbythesea, it is great to have you here with us. We have so many really amazing sailormen here, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 22-02-2010, 12:43   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Welcome Nowbythesea, it is great to have you here with us. We have so many really amazing sailormen here, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Cheers,
Erika
Sorry, I meant welcome nowbythebay!! Sorry, I have sea on the brain
Cheers,
Erika
Old 22-02-2010, 18:17   #306

Boat: 1983 Barberis Show 38 - "Hello Gorgeous"
Thanks Erika - and look forward to reading up more about your adventures.

Fellow sailors, one of the tools I use <gasp> is Craigslist. Post in the Activities section and not the dating section and give it a s5-7 day advance before your boat is going out.. Whether one person for a day sail (or more) or a full boat - you can usually find at least those interested. For me its worked well but Seattle has a pretty active CL viewer base.

Online - okcupid.com works well as you can pretty much tailor your profile word wise how you want to. If you care to put up with their strange process but compared to POF (PlentyOfFish) - a more intelligent base and more sexually open I think. It is free as well.

Hopefully, that kinda helps some. I prefer CL and inviting people for a day / evening or weekend sail as it immediately allows one to be in the environment they are best in and no real 'impressions need to be had'.
Old 26-02-2010, 10:55   #307

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
You dn't worry about your safety at all?
Old 26-02-2010, 11:06   #308

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
You dn't worry about your safety at all?
Seattle isn't your normal big city, a little safer there. Also the people are really nice and helpful. I found that even someone living on the streets was very helpful getting a very lost tourist back to where they needed to be and refused any gratuity!
Old 26-03-2010, 19:31   #309

Single Sailors update!
We have 86 members and they are not all guys!

I Hope all is well with everyone. Life is great aboard OG and I am greeting the spring with a big smile (finally!!).

Cheers,
Erika
Old 26-03-2010, 20:00   #310
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
All's well on Honeysuckle. I do love spring. It's a long season here with winter such a short distance away.

Old 26-03-2010, 20:19   #311

Hummingway, where are you?
E
Old 26-03-2010, 21:26   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
The south end of Vancouver Island. On the Salish Sea.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:13   #313

We have some new members TOPGALLANT32 and BUBBABADBOYNO1
Welcome you two

If anyone wants to post a description about themselves and what you are looking for in a mate just start your own thread on the singles group page , instructions on how to do this is here .

In the age of Blogs and facebook you are also welcome to post a thread directing to your blog link. I have found that these blogs are a great source of info about a person and their lifestyle. So far I have met with three guys during this uh er adventure and two of them have blogs, it gave me a good sense of who they are and a better glimpse into their lives. I really think it has helped me find some really incredible men to date, though none so far is my soul mate, they have all blessed my life. A blog can also help validate their identity, what I mean is that it is easier to spot a "fake" person (or a better word is predator). My last date had 4 years of posting, pictures, and links to family and friends. When we met in person I still took precautions but the likelihood of him being a axe murderer was pretty remote.

BTW My internet friends who I have then met in person, all have said the same thing (it is kinda comical) anyways, they all look at me and say "you are just like your blog/profile". I even had a guy come up to me in a west marine and ask are you Ocean Girl? (Jay if you are out there, you made me feel like a movie star ). It is really the same for the guys I've dated, they were very much like I had imagined through their writing on the blogs and our email exchanges. I have found that the "chemistry" is always a big question mark until you meet in person.

All is well aboard OG, working on her anchoring tactics, engine alternator belt need adjusting, and just general putzing about. Still not sailing though, the upper shrouds is the big hold up now (and my engine alt belt) ..sigh, patience is a virtue.

Anyone have some internet dating observations?

Cheers,
Erika
Old 08-04-2010, 16:14   #314
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

Cheers,
Erika
I've only met a few folk in real life where first contact was via the internet - although only 1 of those was female.........and it wasn't intended as a date.......but she was what she said on the tin (as the few others have been).

But I am kinda curious as to how folk would handle a first meet in person from a long distance internet intro.........with boat based long term romantic hopes involved.

Someone local would be easy enough, lunch (and if still talking ) a sail for the afternoon - all kept light and with no "expectations" .........after that either can happily dissapear into the sunset on a mutual no harm no foul basis

But with a long distance trip involved the practicalties become important as no one will be visiting for just a half day. IME not usual on a first date to move in with someone (well, not around here ) and a boat is pretty much someone else's home - I guess for the visiting party would make sense to have their own accomadation on shore, both to retreat to (24/7 is pretty intense anyway for a 1st date ) and simply to use for alternative holiday plans if hopes get dashed early on...........rather than being stuck on a boat or a week (or longer? ) waiting for your flight home with someone it won't be working with..........boats can feel very small sometimes .

Add in that at least some hopes of expectations being fulfilled will be involved from both parties to my mind makes sense to have the exit pre-planned and not be marooned onboard............and maybe will help prevent any "confusion"? To be fair to the confused , in the real world, if someone I had romantic interests in moved into my home and I got to share cornflakes with them it would send a fairly positive signal . Simply knowing it was a different scenario would nonetheless mess with my ability (LOL!) to read the situation - not so much leading to jumping on anyone more likely to lead to a firm handshake and cheery wave at the departure gate for fear of offending............

...........but I'm easily confused
Old 08-04-2010, 16:44   #315
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl

Cheers,
Erika

I think that lunch, even if it involves traveling for one of you for some distance, is the way to go.

It allows a neutral venue to be chosen, call backs at a particular time to friends who have been advised you have a date with a virtual friend are a good idea. Any sailing should be planned with a few friends, not just the two of you, and only AFTER meeting for lunch and making sure all the vibes are good. Lunch won't guarantee you are actually soul mates, but it should allow your natural instincts to give you a sense of whether or not there is any reason to pursue it.

Be careful, not stupid, but don't be paranoid.

and my experience is that most people are pretty much just like they seem online when you meet them in the flesh. just more complicated.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate