Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 16:12   #1396
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Yeha! thats there the noodles zeehag, and right when he's gonna be surfing in the Columbia.
Old 19-09-2010, 16:47   #1397
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yeha! thats there the noodles zeehag, and right when he's gonna be surfing in the Columbia.
omyfreekzngeeezuzgeorge why do we have to start now--damstorms need to stay away until they are spozed to come--like january. after thomas gets to coldspot and after i get to warmwaterville.....

thomas--best get to waxing yer surfboard.. goood luck!!!! better get a split of champagne and toast the gods, giving them most of it... fair winds and flat seas on entrances....

yipes.

dont leave on a friday and mebbe they are tellin ye to go souf....LOL
Old 19-09-2010, 17:10   #1398
cruiser

Nooooo do not use champaign on boat nononono....pour red from a glass and say "please Neptune help me not wet my pants".
Old 19-09-2010, 17:16   #1399

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Finished the electrical, what a relief. Now I am having a mysterious fuel flow problem. Fuel getting to the filter bank, but not coming out. Consulting with the fuel guy now. Praying I get out of here tomorrow. I'm way over due to be at sea.

Thomas
Old 19-09-2010, 17:22   #1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Nooooo do not use champaign on boat nononono....pour red from a glass and say "please Neptune help me not wet my pants".
thomas--schedules are what get folks into trubbles--i know--btdt-- consult your weather well and dont get into trouble. give yer offering per smb, and have a good trip---
smb--i like that one--is goood!!
Old 19-09-2010, 17:39   #1401

The weather off the Oregon coast was a bit snotty today, but the forecast isn't bad after that. Ya' never know till you get out there though. The last time I slogged up the coast the forecast was for south winds 15-20k, what we had was almost no wind then 30-35 right on our nose! And they call it weather science??

Thomas
Old 19-09-2010, 17:42   #1402

whatever ye do , ye know NOT to listen to noaa unless ye know the local translation....like in fla--- "slight chance of rain" means "days and days of severe lightning storms" LOL...check it yerself!!!!
Old 19-09-2010, 18:31   #1403
cruiser

Trust nothing over 48 hours.

If there is something that is forecast to watch out for past that, expect it earlier and stronger than forecast and have a backup plan.

Theres a mix in the forecast - 15, 20, 25 etc. But later in the week stuff may push higher into 30-40s, or maybe not. Keep your eyes on the W and NW pacific action. You might get a southern end of it.

Dr. SaltyMonkey
Old 19-09-2010, 18:51   #1404

dr. smb--you could be interesting to sail with....
Old 19-09-2010, 18:52   #1405

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Finished the electrical, what a relief. Now I am having a mysterious fuel flow problem. Fuel getting to the filter bank, but not coming out. Consulting with the fuel guy now. Praying I get out of here tomorrow. I'm way over due to be at sea.

Thomas
Unless you have a strong confidence in the boat's integrity, don't push it until it's cleanly ready, amigo. A word to the wise from old lao tzu:

The Master never reaches for the great;
thus he achieves greatness.
When he runs into a difficulty,
he stops and gives himself to it.

He doesn't cling to his own comfort;
thus problems are no problem for him.

And Murphy in the background is saying, "If things can go wrong, they will."
Old 21-09-2010, 21:24   #1406

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I always knew there was a reason I heted Murphy, he's always talking to me.
finally get to go sailing again this weekend, using one of the school's boats but thats ok. i'll take pics of it and our training ship to. its the Cape Gibson soon to be the Texas Clipper III or IV heres a pics link http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamugco...27984118/show/
Old 22-09-2010, 05:04   #1407

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
I don't want people referring to me as SSLD. Sounds like a STD!
I thought it sounded like a stoner who couldn't quite remember the acronym for lysergic acid diethylamide.

What happens on the Forum stays on the Forum, at least until we tell someone about it.

John
Old 22-09-2010, 05:12   #1408

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
And Murphy in the background is saying, "If things can go wrong, they will."
We always said, "What goes bad at the dock goes worse on the water". The ocean can be a very inhospitable place.

Too bad none of us can help you with that run up the coast.

John
Old 22-09-2010, 08:20   #1409

We had a bit of a blow last night. It was the first time since I've been here that I was happy to be tied to the dock! As I wait for my miracle worker mechanic, I've changed the oil, tidied up, surfed the net, chatted with a hot sailin' babe, and watched in awe as the 650' RoRo ship at the dock 200' from me sat quietly in the blow not moving even an inch, while the boats next to it bobbed around like corks in a washing machine. Ahhhhh the joys of largeness....then again I don't envy that ship it's fuel bill.

Despite the little blow last night, the weather continues to be pretty favorable, with the winds mostly on my nose, but not very large winds. So, if the mechanic can do his thing, today may be the day or not

The other good thing about all this dock sitting has been a bit of a bonding process between me and my girl. The more I sleep with her, the more I'm liking her. For sure there's many things which need to be changed, but none of them are particularly difficult. The galley was obviously designed by a person who either didn't like to cook or didn't know how. I visualize the bumfuzzle's who never met a restaurant they didn't like better than their own cooking kinda deal. I on the other hand love to cook so the galley, such as it is simply has to change. The challenge will be figuring out the best way to do that given the constraints of space and of course $$.

The most perplexing problem towards that end is heating water. My last boat had a radiant heating system, so you got hot water whenever the heat was on....kinda for free. I'm not sure this boat would easily accommodate radiant heat nor am I convinced the cost would be worth it (those systems are not inexpensive). So, once I'm home I think I'll investigate some of the instant hot water systems out there, particularly the ones fired by propane and diesel.

All for now, my new coffee percolator needs to be broken in!

Regards,

Thomas
Old 22-09-2010, 09:29   #1410

thomas i knew you would bond with boat and get to know her well if you went and camped out until ye figgered out her problems...is why gods made oil lamps and such--for boat bonding....
so we get a cold and wet early winter....so storms will be pummelling us earlier than usual and be wetter and more windy and nasty...time to leave for warm water......
be safe out there and remember there is a boat heading south from sin diego in december--if i have to wait that long....
i use drip one cup cones--mine is half drunk by now..LOL.....
consider a cutting board cover for the stove and make it work-- goood luck!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate