Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46   #1306

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
LOL....I think SaltMonkey is right!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:25   #1307

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Dogs are genetically programmed to try to please the leader of the pack - their master. But they also don't forget; at least not for many years.

I only worry when people (men?) expect other people (women?) to be like dogs in unconditional acceptance of whatever, neglect, cruelty, etc. People are not naturally uncritically loyal. We expect those we admire to be admirable!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 11-09-2010, 09:44   #1308
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I only worry when people (men?) expect other people (women?) to be like dogs in unconditional acceptance of whatever, neglect, cruelty, etc. People are not naturally uncritically loyal. We expect those we admire to be admirable!
I love you flysci....whats for dinner?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:49   #1309
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone who has never loved, and been loved by, a dog has either never had a dog - or never had a heart. And if you've never respected, and been respected by, either a dog or a member of the opposite sex - you've never had a developed brain.

TaoJones
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06   #1310

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Erika and Tao have it right. I'm surprised monkeyman's so callous about dogs. I thought monkey's like pups.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48   #1311

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I will continue to live in my Polly Anna world and think as I do about my dog! And you SM can as I think what you want. I am a live and let live kindda guy unless you hurt my family of which my dog is one of. Right now a family of 2. On this one we can respectfully agree to disagree.

You like to stir the pot don't cha SM?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58   #1312
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
ok guys--about kats--they DO have a strong family and social attitude. my cat is my boy--he protects me and the boat from invading species--he lets me know when strangers arrive and he doesnt like many other people besides me--he is a maine coon mix--so is a good kat... he is good on watch--i dont know about love--but he is protective and sweet--he even does tricks!! mine coon cats are trainable--is easy!! too bad thy cant steer the boat--he does stand watch ...
now--ye wanna bash OTHER cats--i will join ye!! as well as some doggies--i like siberian huskies...not too good on boats......

i am glad i live in so cal right now--but i am leaving this year for mexico and points south. i have room for another person on board--we will see what happens when i leave. i dont think anyone will cheer that i have left.... i have requested a band and parade for the event, but i think wont happen...cant have high expectations.....
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59   #1313

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
I don't agree little monkey. Dogs have memory and they do bond with their master. They bond with kids too. My mastiffs knew every member of the family and woe be unto him who messed with my kids, food in hand or not!

Regards,

Thomas
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04   #1314

I dunno Zee, cats have never impressed me and worse, they make me sneeze!

Thomas
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08   #1315

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
I dunno Zee, cats have never impressed me and worse, they make me sneeze!

Thomas
most cat are just cats..the maine coons are different---but is a cat likers thing i think--but bubba is 16 pounds of big boy--not too much fat.....he is tall and just big.....makes a good companion--likes his momms---very protective!! sorry they make ye sneeeeze....
Old 11-09-2010, 11:12   #1316
cruiser

speakeasy - ROFL!

Hey, all crybabies. SaltyMonkey adores dogies and puppies, and doesn't let the truth about Omega and Alpha pack placement FX his doggie experiences. He knows the realistic anthropological and genetic/biologic reasons but respects all doggies that don't bite SaltyMonkey. SaltyMonkey has good understanding of doggies and all doggies like SaltyMonkey!

As for catts? Yuk! Small brained. Destroy furniture and environment. Don't like catts at all...although they are good on boats for keeping rats at smelling distance.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:16   #1317

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
most cat are just cats..the maine coons are different---but is a cat likers thing i think--but bubba is 16 pounds of big boy--not too much fat.....he is tall and just big.....makes a good companion--likes his momms---very protective!! sorry they make ye sneeeeze....
Arent Maine Coons also called "Water Cats"? I think they also have been refered to as the only cats that act like dogs.

almost forgot.....ARRRRRGH!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24   #1318

A Cat Story:

A few years ago I was looking at a boat in San Diego. She'd been a real queen in her day, but her day was long past. Still, she had a teak and mahogany interior to die for. Exquisit! The owner was a live-a-board because, "...it's a lot cheaper to pay a slip fee than rent a condo on the water." He loved cats. Some of his cats loved the wood interior. They loved it so much they used it to exercise their claws. Massive sections of solid mahogany were laid waste by their claws. A travesty if there ever was one. Had it been my boat and I saw a cat doing that, the cat would soon be fish food. The owner however, thought it amusing! No, I didn't buy the boat.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34   #1319
cruiser

Exactly Y66. I've seen a feral catt pack take over a 1/2 million dollar boat sitting on the hard over the winter and making it a mess - crap and urine all over; scratched to fiber. What a disaster.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:51   #1320

Cruisers Forum Supporter

am sooo glad my cat does his clawing on any rope/line i wrap around legs of tables and masts..he is a good boy--doesnt tear up my stuff---- i am lucky to have the only perfect kitty in this world. very lucky. i dont tolerate misbehavior--i train the bad habits using kat spitting noises and such--he is good and knows i am his family member and behaves himself. doesnt even approach other people without their permission, for the most part--
some cats arent perfect and act like cats all the time-- maine coons are totally awesome--he plays in the rain and doesnt mind having wet paws!!! weird kat!!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: