Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 12:19   #1066
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol david-good one--you are cuter than a goat---

smb--ty--i love snapping pix of things that donot look as good in pix as in person--but if i catch em well enough, i can share--is fun!!!! thankyou!!

they were from my gulf sailing trip....want more!!!!
moon was dry tortugas at fort jefferson anchorage overlooking the key....the sun one was from mississippi sound at cat or petit bois island and the redder one was from out on gulf one night as i was on watch.....

so the must have own boat--is that something over 8 ft, i presume?????
will you require a trailor for the goat??( i read the goat around the world thread too, so you cant hide her from me)..LOL
Old 20-08-2010, 12:41   #1067
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
zeezee you really deserve sailing trip! thank you for pixs!
Old 20-08-2010, 12:48   #1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
zeezee you really deserve sailing trip! thank you for pixs!
there is always room on board for more crew and friends.....after all, is 41 ft.....

and i enjoy sharing --especially when the sharing is of the beauty of the sea and sailing...
Old 20-08-2010, 13:32   #1069
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
DOJ,

Just read your 'Woman wanted ...' thread - Hilarious! Especially since I've been looking for a mate to sail with me on my boat. Made me realize how far out in fantasy land I am! Haha!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 20-08-2010, 14:19   #1070

yes, is an excellent thread. i still wanna know if an 8 ft dink qualifies as a boat.....
i am wondering if we cant find mates because we approach this wrong. we are whining about how alone we are. mebbe we should be going about this from a different point of view----what do we each as individuals have or know that would be useful and helpful to another soul out on the sea. or goat....
what do you all think???
Old 20-08-2010, 15:35   #1071
Eternal Member

OK, Zee, I'll give it a try.

What I think I can offer:
1. A boat to sail and live on, ready to go, caribbean then onward
2. share the work, including a fair exchange of "other" things for mechanical/electrical/etc which I don't do so good
3. companionship without too much talking (I'm the tall silent type)
4. a sense of adventure
... and more.

Is that the kind of thing you were getting at, Zee?

Margo

Old 20-08-2010, 15:46   #1072

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Main problem as I see it is, how do you get to know someone when they are thousands of miles away?

You dont realy get to know the real person until you spend lots of time together in person.
As I found out last year, it takes a lot to up sticks and move in with someone just to find out what they are like, and then have to undo it all again when it doesnt work out.
In our situation, we dont always have the luxury of dating for a few months and gradually get to know one another.
Old 20-08-2010, 16:37   #1073
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Main problem as I see it is, how do you get to know someone when they are thousands of miles away?
Damn...i didn't even think about this! Good point! And I'd hate to find out things are bad, and end up someone's butt monkey 2000 miles away from home.
Old 20-08-2010, 16:47   #1074
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
end up someone's butt monkey 2000 miles away from home.
Huh? Call me dense, but what's a butt monkey? Anything to do with goats?

Margo

Old 20-08-2010, 18:35   #1075

i think if the deal were made to sail with someone as a friend or crew and then more close friendship was found, is a good thing... a return ticket isnt a bad idea either--might be an open one---if they still make those---in baja, there are cool buses running the length of the peninsula and both sides--the ones i rode on were real fun--just watch the individual next to you doesnt wet the entire seat, tho---yipes....the chickens and goats are cool, and the boxed geese....movie is in spanish subtitles over english so i didnt even need to read--was fun!--could be for a crew who didnt wanna be there on boat....

i have a boat--larger than a dinghy..
i can cook
i can sail
not always imaginative , but with thought, i get better....
i make a mean cuppa coffee
got no goats...
and i dont swim in sin diego bay
i know a lot
cold feets in bed....
did i say i can sail?

did i say i ran away from home twice just to go sailing?? once for a month in caribean--skipper turned out to not be ...lol..yada yada.. and the second was the near year in gulf of mexico---
Old 21-08-2010, 02:34   #1076
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i think if the deal were made to sail with someone as a friend or crew and then more close friendship was found, is a good thing... a return ticket isnt a bad idea either--might be an open one---if they still make those
Yeah, I think both sides having exit plans (from 1 hour to 1 year ) is important as removes the feeling that each side is stuck with the other.

But with long distances involved then our old freind money becomes a factor. or a lack off..........

Although I have not got down the internet dating angle (whether paid or via shared interest websites) seems a good way to get an intro / foot in the door for those (of us ) who in real life haven't quite mastered the 1 line / instant sell...........or who on first meet (sight? ) may appear to be somewhat strange / deranged (that's "poor" for eccentric ).

But just like meeting someone in real life it's what you do with the intro that counts.. And for that always practicalities to overcome of one form or another.

If was trying the long distance hello / see where this goes thing would want the travelling half (me or her) for only a week or 2 as the first meet - and even then not 24/7 (that's a hell of a first date! ) - straight aboard to share a boat would be a no no for me. Not even sure that I would want to commit to meeting every day etc Also would want her / me to have the backstop of having at least the chance of a decent holiday and some experiances to later chew over - even if it never turned into the romantic dream.........which odds wise is the likely outcome.

Edit - just to say (for me) would think it a good thing that both sides agreed in advance no prospect of "home comforts" being on the table (or anywhere else ) during the initial trip as would remove a dynamic with power to confuse the issue............

..........but next visit though a welcome aboard wearing a short black nightie and the offer of some jiggy jiggy would be compulsory and that's just by me

Of course problem with the internet is that easy to build folks up in your mind. and then add dreams to them ...........reality cannot always match the human imagination...........
Old 21-08-2010, 14:44   #1077
Eternal Member

the gold star

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yeah, I think both sides having exit plans (from 1 hour to 1 year ) is important as removes the feeling that each side is stuck with the other.

But with long distances involved then our old freind money becomes a factor. or a lack off..........

Although I have not got down the internet dating angle (whether paid or via shared interest websites) seems a good way to get an intro / foot in the door for those (of us ) who in real life haven't quite mastered the 1 line / instant sell...........or who on first meet (sight? ) may appear to be somewhat strange / deranged (that's "poor" for eccentric ).

But just like meeting someone in real life it's what you do with the intro that counts.. And for that always practicalities to overcome of one form or another.

If was trying the long distance hello / see where this goes thing would want the travelling half (me or her) for only a week or 2 as the first meet - and even then not 24/7 (that's a hell of a first date! ) - straight aboard to share a boat would be a no no for me. Not even sure that I would want to commit to meeting every day etc Also would want her / me to have the backstop of having at least the chance of a decent holiday and some experiances to later chew over - even if it never turned into the romantic dream.........which odds wise is the likely outcome.

Edit - just to say (for me) would think it a good thing that both sides agreed in advance no prospect of "home comforts" being on the table (or anywhere else ) during the initial trip as would remove a dynamic with power to confuse the issue............

..........but next visit though a welcome aboard wearing a short black nightie and the offer of some jiggy jiggy would be compulsory and that's just by me

Of course problem with the internet is that easy to build folks up in your mind. and then add dreams to them ...........reality cannot always match the human imagination...........
What he said! Kudos!

Margo

Old 21-08-2010, 14:54   #1078

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
You should never meet your heros as they rarely live up to expectations, and often the same can be said of net dating.
Expect to be disapointed and you wont be far wrong.

Jeez I sound so cynical but Ive learned the hard way. If someone sounds too good to be true, they usually have a fatal flaw. (Sorry kids but you may as well hear the truth as waste half your life finding out the hard way)

I think im gonna become like Doris Day, Bridget Bardot or Agnetta Falskog (ABBA).
Gonna pull up the drawbridge, devote my life to something worthwhile and say fare thee well cruel world, go hence and do not darken my doorstep again, for thou art not worthy of my deeds or devotions, for I am in love with me and me alone.
Old 21-08-2010, 15:08   #1079
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

I think im gonna become like Doris Day, Bridget Bardot or Agnetta Falskog (ABBA)..
Thats because you have no black dolly bear thingy on and jiggy jiggy dancey dance going, Anjou!

No bluesy mOOoOOods for you grrrl!

Gonna get dancin' yaaa? Pour some ice water on you Neptune style (hoh yay!) and dance the night awaaaaay!
Old 21-08-2010, 15:49   #1080

seems anything sounding too good to be true follows thru-- isnt meant to be for some stoopit reason--and is too good to be true. usually costs more than just money. or heartache.

heros?/ whatsa hero?? i learned they dress as do i with one foot first then the other--had some in family--no such thing as star struck here. no pedestals and no heros. mebbe bubba daboatkat......he saved my life from a finch at sea.....
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate