Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2009, 14:21   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Ya know for all the talk about not enough females interested in sailing, we are running 50/50 at our little singles group - cool

I got the courage to click on it, I was afraid it would take me to some.. well I wasn't sure where it would take me. How did ya do that? Share your trade secrets please.

BTW Dockhead
Ah grasshopper, dates are easy to find, but soul mates not so easy

Cheers,
Erika

Heres the link
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oul+mates.html
Old 28-06-2009, 14:42   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
. How did ya do that? Share your trade secrets please.
1) Simply write the Tag line of your choice: Singlehanded Sailor seeks a helping hand - JOIN NOW!

2) Format as you want: Singlehanded Sailor seeks a helping hand - JOIN NOW!

3) Now the Clever bit

Highlight the tag line text and then click on the INSERT LINK function and follow the instructions (copy and paste the link you want to use)

4) and voila:

Singlehanded Sailor seeks a helping hand - JOIN NOW!
Old 28-06-2009, 15:22   #33

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I'd call you a genius but don't want to ruin your bad boy image.

Erika

Here is the link
Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates - JOIN NOW!
Old 28-06-2009, 15:51   #34

Boat: Skookum 53'
Good on you Erika,
I hope that everyone in the new group, finds whom they are looking for.
Old 28-06-2009, 22:03   #35

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks for the step by step instructions. I'd call you a genius but don't want to ruin your bad boy image.

Erika
Now hold on there, I want to have the "bad boy" image

Getting back to maxing this new forum's effectiveness, and given that Janet H and maybe even DOJ (aka "Badboy") appear to be "internet savvy"...

Perhaps one of them could advise how you can increase the likelihood of when someone does a Google search containing certain words, a link appears in the subsequent Google findings. I know it has something to do with "key words", but hey, I only "analyze people's heads", and/or "analyze their businesses", and subsequently make recommendations ... IT extremely savvy I am not!
Old 29-06-2009, 00:33   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
I do not believe the new forum is listed as yet on the main "Discussion Board" page, which would help promote it. Perhaps you can investigate how that can be accomplished with Hud3 (moderator), as he has apparently endorsed the new forum's creation.

Just wanted to address this technicality.

Social Groups is a tool added to the functionality of the forum software. It was added to give the members with very specific interests a place to "hang out" with members of like mind.

The social groups will not be listed on the Main Discussion board but BlueSoverign is right in that Hud and the entire mod team endorse the "Singles Group" and wish them well.

The idea to add the link to the social group in Ocean Girl's signature is an excellent one and a great way to promote a social group.

Couple of other points -

- Any member can create a social group.
- The group can be completely open, moderated to join or moderated to join and moderated to post. These settings are set by the group creator.
- The groups work like a "single threaded" message. Each new post placed above the last one.
- The mods have access to these groups but we are fundamentally hands off unless something gets reported. We haven't had that occur just yet.
- Normal forum rules apply -especially the be nice rule but we allow a far broader range of disccusion, language and topics.
- The creator of the site has "some" responsibility to moderate the site especially if they have set the site to be a moderated site but the mod team is here as backup.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:55   #37

Just wanted to let everyone know we have some new members on our singles group page.

Members:
I am trying to set up a mass pm to communicate with the members only, but until then I'll post here
Feel free to post a bio if you haven't already. I am thinking about posting a master member list in the intro page with name, gender, age, port of call. I want to do this because the members list w/ avatars is not complete, you have to click view all members to get a complete list. A visitor may not know this and miss your name as a member of the singles group.
Any comments?? please let me know if there is anything I can improve upon. I am working 10 hour shifts so it may take a while to get back to you, but I would love some feed back.
Erika

Here is the link
SINGLE SAILORS SEEKING SOUL MATES
Old 13-07-2009, 12:02   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
anjou,

Who needs a little black dress when you have a little white one?........i2f
Old 13-07-2009, 12:53   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
I finally got my avatar picture sussed out, I spose next I will have to write a blurb,
A mans work is never done.

Little white dresses are good i2f, you are right!
Old 13-07-2009, 12:57   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Especially when one can make it as attractive as anjoun does in her avatar. I am kind of fond of them myself.........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Melanie on Jib.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	8924  
Old 14-07-2009, 04:24   #41

Due to concerns over privacy, I will not post a master list So to get a complete list of the members of Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates just click on view all members list on the main Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates page.

Please keep the feedback coming. I am new to this forum stuff and this is my first singles group (as a member or organizer), so newbie all around . I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to give suggestions and ideas for this group. I'm working long shifts at the hospital so please pardon the delay answering your pm's.
Cheers,
Erika

Here is the link
Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates - JOIN NOW
Old 14-07-2009, 07:45   #42

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
The "Soul Mates" causes me worry! Appears to have a lot of hooks attached to it. How about a sub section for just social interface with sailing/ cruising being the main key element.

Always have interest in expanding friendship base but not with the fish hooks apparent in some sites and the Soul Mates just makes me cringe a tad.
Old 14-07-2009, 07:49   #43
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
The "Soul Mates" causes me worry! Appears to have a lot of hooks attached to it. How about a sub section for just social interface with sailing/ cruising being the main key element.

Always have interest in expanding friendship base but not with the fish hooks apparent in some sites and the Soul Mates just makes me cringe a tad.
Why not start another Social Group, RC, whose central premise is friendship with no strings attached? I'm sure there are others like yourself who would find that more their "cuppa tea."

TaoJones
Old 14-07-2009, 09:22   #44

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
SWMMLARMUFRRATT................................... .............................

(Straight White Male, Married Living Alone Retired Mentally Unfit For Serious Romatic Relationship At This Time But Horney As Hell Due To Unexpected Celibacy.)

Do I qualify here?

I guess not, hell, I would not have anything to do with me either
Old 14-07-2009, 19:34   #45

Send a message via Yahoo to biscuit
Hello

ok to all.............this is a first totally for me............both message board and this site. I have some sailing experience "hence the word some" , sailed the BVI's, Grenadines, Bahamas..........with friends that have been cruising for 5 yrs. on a 45 cat. Me, single, looking to hit the water for a while...............working on that before the end o fthe year. So this is where I'm at for starters. I'd like any and all advice I can get. Bottom line...........I need to learn, and experience and i'm willing. Perfect world.....find my perfect female mate............until then........I'm just exploring potential options, and hoping to learn.

Thanks,
David
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate