Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 10:30   #226

Boat: Bristol 38.8
If you both have a boat, sell them both and use the proceeds to buy a new one together. It's the same with houses. There is always resentment if one partner gives up his/her digs but the other doesn't, and a new shared abode builds commitment.
Old 21-11-2009, 10:58   #227

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
I don't think any well rounded Male would have a problem with a Woman asking him out. And life is to short to hem-ha about!! And some men like self confident women who can be a little mushey at the right time. Most important is the ability to share, good , bad, and in between.
Old 21-11-2009, 11:05   #228

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
My Freudian slip is showing - - - wiles -> adjective "wil"+"ey" = "wiley"
Old 21-11-2009, 11:26   #229

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
I think a Woman asking me out is a great "SIGNAL" and doesn't hurt my male EGO at all or threaten my masculinity either. It just means she has an intrest in getting to know more about me. Losing my wife to cancer has changed my outlook. Life can be short, so don't waste time playing gender games, because you could miss something great!
Old 21-11-2009, 12:01   #230

I see women complain about men not being able to accept them being strong willed, intelligent, and independent, but have never met a decent, intelligent guy who is intimidated by said things. Rather, if the woman is lacking those qualities, she can easily be perceived as boring. Maybe this is a problem for the older generations (I am relatively young)? It is just seems bogus to me and makes me think that either (A) the woman is dating losers, or (B) the woman is not quite as perfect as she thinks and has some personality trait that turns men off. For example, there was a girl I had been friends with for a while and we got into a romantic relationship. For some reason she believed that it was normal to get into spats and then make up, and that guys loved it. I don't know how she came to this idea but I can understand why she's still single.

Almost all the guys I know would date a girl who asked him out simply because she asked him out. It seems to show that she is interested, she is a better communicator than most women, and she is not into silly outdated dating games/rituals.
Old 21-11-2009, 16:12   #231

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
>>> As far as who does the asking? that just seems to be my line in the sand, it just too unromantic for me. I know very backwards and unsophisticated but oh well, I never said I was normal.<<<<
- - I would have to say that this statement is not entirely true - - The female has to send out many subtle and "willy" signals to the male first before any male will respond. Make that a polite, respectful male. The other kind of male will ask any and everything that is remotely female and still alive for a date.
- - If the female does not "first" initiate the process, the probability of getting a response from a polite, respectful, potential mate will not be very good.
I have not had an issue with a guy I liked not asking me out with one exception. After I wrote my post about my "line in the sand" I had a good laugh (at my expense) when I remembered that one exception. I did end up dating that exception, but only after I asked him when the heck he was going to ask me out on a date? he smiled looked me dead in the eye and asked me out. Hows that for subtle? Sometimes an outdated girl is forced to pick up her heels.
Erika
Old 21-11-2009, 20:03   #232

We are up to 59 members and they are not all guys

Because of the way the forum is set up, now that we can start our own threads, it is getting more and more difficult for me to determine which posts need to be approved. I am alerted that a post needs approval from the singles group, it does not tell me which post. Please check that what you post is showing up, if not, feel free to pm me. Sorry for any inconvenience! As much as I would like to set the group as un-moderated, reading some old threads has convinced me that creating a place free from criticism and unwanted comments is worth this extra effort.

BTW- I have only been dating for 1 1/2 years, so newbie here. My twenties don't count I can't remember that far So if anyone has some friendly advice for this group please let me know. Now back to my date with the new holding tank, then I will relax and cuddle up with Rex (Stout that is).

E

Here is the link Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates
#60 just joined while I was editing this post Welcome Scubasteve!
Old 21-11-2009, 20:52   #233

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
My personal feeling is if a Woman shows me a subtle hint of interest, I will respond the like and maybe up one click hoping for a similar response and up another click. I suppose it's likened to being back in High School at the first dance. If you ask a pretty girl to dance and she rejects you...you're the laughing stock of all your friends and probably the whole School. It's enough to give you pimples!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-01-2010, 15:23   #234

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, we singles seem to be dominating the "What do men want" thread. I was curious what you all were up to and how you are doing in the soul mate search. Also, if ya want to talk "what do men want in a woman" and vise versa. Am I opening a can of worms? Or what about talking about our responces to our bios? Darn, I am starting this thread and will be out all evening! Have fun without me.

Many here have written me asking about a letter in Cruising World's mail bag section. Yes it is my mom and yes she is talking about me. I didn't know she had written it until it was printed (surprise!). The letter is about her search for a soul mate years ago and my search for a soul mate today. My mom found my dad (step dad) by placing a personal ad in Cruising World. They have been married 16 years and still act like two kids in love. She writes that she hopes lightning will strike twice.
Gotta go,
Erika
Old 08-01-2010, 15:40   #235
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I have not had an issue with a guy I liked not asking me out with one exception. After I wrote my post about my "line in the sand" I had a good laugh (at my expense) when I remembered that one exception. I did end up dating that exception, but only after I asked him when the heck he was going to ask me out on a date? he smiled looked me dead in the eye and asked me out. Hows that for subtle? Sometimes an outdated girl is forced to pick up her heels.
Erika
Sounds like an experience I had years back when I was bar manager in a Hastings Disco.... a attractive new starter had been there about a month..... nice personality,chatty, funny, smart, got on well with me and the other staff.... one night/morning as we were clearing up after closing she turned round and said.....
"Whats a girl got to do to go out with you... wear a green flashing light?"
Talk about 'Gobsmacked'.... I thought she had just been being friendly...
According to mate's it seems I've always been slow this way... something to do with a colonial upbringing and not recognising signals... but in a Muslim dominated society those are pretty few....lol.....
Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-01-2010, 15:56   #236

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Erika,

How 'bout a little cut and paste on that letter to CW?
BTW, good luck on your quest, do hope it works out, that lightning thing I mean.

Remind us of you moms book title/ you know another "Shameless Plug".

Hobart
==============================================

Quote:
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, we singles seem to be dominating the "What do men want" thread. I was curious what you all were up to and how you are doing in the soul mate search. Also, if ya want to talk "what do men want in a woman" and vise versa. Am I opening a can of worms? Or what about talking about our responces to our bios? Darn, I am starting this thread and will be out all evening! Have fun without me.

Many here have written me asking about a letter in Cruising World's mail bag section. Yes it is my mom and yes she is talking about me. I didn't know she had written it until it was printed (surprise!). The letter is about her search for a soul mate years ago and my search for a soul mate today. My mom found my dad (step dad) by placing a personal ad in Cruising World. They have been married 16 years and still act like two kids in love. She writes that she hopes lightning will strike twice.
Gotta go,
Erika
Old 08-01-2010, 16:46   #237

I think this Topic should be titled

Sole Mate
Old 08-01-2010, 17:04   #238

Boat: Cheoy Lee 33 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I think this Topic should be titled

Sole Mate
Now I like that one!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:07   #239

Boat: seawind II Patience
Glad resurrected,very interesting reading.I usually skip long threads but found this enjoyable.Wish you all best of luck.Started it last pm,had to do search this an so posted to try to keep it new.marc
Old 09-01-2010, 13:12   #240
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
.... we singles seem to be dominating the "What do men want" thread. .
Erika

Not really. I started that thread and it's been 28 years since I was single! I do wonder why the "What do Men Want" has somehow kept going but the "What do Women Want" seemed to die sooner.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate