Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 06:35   #46

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
How about a compromise: Razor® USA - Official Website of Razor USA and the Razor Scooter
Only 13 lbs, no charging, you get some exercise, but will allow you to get to
the stores that are few miles away. I've done the hauling of groceries from
stores that are 2+ miles away, and it's not fun.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 13:02   #47
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
220 lb max.....I would have to scooter through town buck naked to make the weight....

naaaaahhhh....
Old 22-11-2009, 02:31   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
220 lb max.....I would have to scooter through town buck naked to make the weight....

naaaaahhhh....
Yep, you could come back 15 lbs lighter, me too, that's why I like the segways.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 04:07   #49
One of Those

It's starting to sound, to me, like the Segways would be perfect for a supertanker or bulk carrier with a lot of deck and the lifting gear to get them on and off the dock when in port....

Still, it's looking like it's hard to beat a folding bicycle for this.
Old 23-11-2009, 05:33   #50

Boat: Beneteau 311
Forget the Segway - this is where its at!

Grace E-motorbikes are ultralightweight, German, and very expensive -- Engadget

Waterproof even.
Bill
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 17:31   #51

Boat: a sailing boat
Segways are cool. If you have a way of recharging them.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 17:53   #52

Wink Aquatic Segway

I think with oversize tires you could probably dispense with the dingy. Drive straight off the back of the boat and keep going until you hit the beach.

Bill
Old 26-11-2009, 17:54   #53

Does anyone have any experience with this folding electric bicycle?

ECO EASY RIDER BMX Trail Blazer S2 Folding Electric Folding Bicycle

It claims to be all (mostly all) aluminium and stainless. 62lbs with the l-ion battery pack. If I'm reading the specs correctly it will go 15mph for 30 miles without pedaling. Even if it did half that, I'd be pretty happy.

This would still be a handful to get in and out of the dinghy. I wonder if the battery pack can be easily taken off to lighten it?

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 17:59   #54
One of Those

What sailors need apparantly is a dinghy motor we can remove and ride ashore.

Powered unicycle?
Old 26-11-2009, 18:11   #55

I like it!

I'm just gonna graft water skis to a segway.
Old 26-11-2009, 18:15   #56

Boat: 1980 Moody 33 C/C & 50ft Steel Houseboat
Best solution IMO is a cheap folding bike with an ampedbikes.com electric conversion. Bionx quality for 1/3 the price. You could have an all-new set-up for very low bucks.
This guy has the highest quality at lowest price of anyone in the electric bike market.

Stay thirsty, my friends...
Rvrratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 21:32   #57

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
There are times when I don't want to walk because I am tired. It would be nice to give my legs a rest. But I don't think that a Segway or a scooter is the best and most healthy way of making it happen.

The benefits of physical exercise are obvious, and bicycles and walking give me an opportunity to get much needed exercise. What I don't want to do is stand in one position for long periods of time without flexing my calf and leg muscles.

The things I don't like about Segways and scooters is that they are for the most part passive devices that don't involve flexing of the calf muscles like when you walk. The flexing of the calf muscles is important to facilitate venous return from the legs back to the heart. Your leg veins have one way valves in them, and the flexing of your calf muscles creates a muscle pump moving the venous blood uphill against gravity. People who ride a Segway around all day are asking for varicose veins in their legs. Surgeons who stand around an operating table all day long without flexing their calf muscles end up with dilated leg veins -varicose veins. I've stood around an operating table for hours at a time, and it isn't good for your legs.

I'm into the joy of walking. I remember what it was like when I had two broken legs. I couldn't imagine anything better than being able to walk again. I'll cast my vote in the favor of bicycles and a good pair of walking shoes.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 03:57   #58

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
For long-distance ongoing cruising, the primary issue faced by any of these choices is gong to be the road conditions and resultant limited comfort and safety provided to the user. It would be great to have almost any of these clever devices - or even a bike, like the one we carried through 37 countries - in a place like Amsterdam. But most island nations offer rough roads, no paved shoulders, no sidewalks, and traffic that can be intense. Or consider the opposite: Most of First World Europe with its narrow streets, bazillion motor bikes buzzing by, and dense traffic. All of the gadgets I saw in the portions of this thread I read looked quite clever...but none of them would manage the road surfaces of most island nations nor even the cobbled pavement of many cities today with any degree of comfort.

When we arrived in Sines, Portugal a local whizzed down to the dock within 30 minutes on his Segway to welcome us to the port and point out where his flat with an open router antenna was located - a generous thing to do and the Segway was ideal for that renovated, modern city with wide paved roads. But how would a boat without a generator charge such a device while out on the cruising trail...and for boats with generators, would you want to? And does everyone know that one of the accessories sold to Segway owners are portable ramps so the unit can be put up/into the car's trunk or truck's bed? These are not lightweight machines...tho' teasingly clever, to be sure.

I've been very thankful to have had a bike aboard - but not often. It made a dinghy repair possible in Grand Cayman (very First World and with limited traffic), it made reaching the post offices easier when cruising along the USA's east coast, and I placed my life in my hands when I used one to commute to chandlers and tool suppliers while wintering in London twice (talk about traffic!). But with an eye to heading back to the Caribbean enroute the Canal and into the Pacific, I took the bike off WHOOSH. Turns out - IMO anyway - 'auxiliary transport' is a tougher nut to crack than it first appears, at least for the wide-ranging cruising crew.

Jack
Old 27-11-2009, 05:45   #59
One of Those

I'm not even sure 'folding' bike is the answer. For a pilot, maybe, yeah. But a fixed frame off road bike with some gears has got to be the best all around solution for a number of reasons. Simplicity, and a minimum of ferrous materials. Lightweight alloy, probably.
Old 20-06-2010, 13:19   #60

Has anyone seen this new one wheel 'segway type' scooter? It looks like it would be a lot of fun at the marina after a few beers.

Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote