Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2009, 05:13   #31

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Why not get a folding electric bike or convert a regular folding bike: The Bionx electric motor and battery electric bike conversion kit
If you run out of juice you can still pedal - and you won't look like you're too lazy.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 06:17   #32

Boat: Beneteau 311
Pedals are good.

The off road video is impressive, but any mountain bike can do much, much better.

I still contend Segway is a neat toy, you are better off with a conventional layout.

Bill
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 06:50   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Unless you have a physical disability that these would address, I cannot see them being worth the hassle. When I am on the boat, any time ashore is relished as time to stretch the legs. Exercise is good!

If folks started buzzing around on these at our marina, I can almost guarantee that there would be slip holders being annoyed. I would most likely be one of them. If they kept off of the docks, then it would not bother me in the slightest. The only situation I could see these as useful would be a livaboard situation where the boat is in a small town or metro area, and the Segways are in Leu of a car.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Hi

Does anyone own a Segway? They are the electric scooters with two wheels side by side, a gyro keeps it balanced.

I was looking into buying a used one with side bags and was curious if any others have one or have looked into getting one for their boat to use when island hopping.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 09:19   #34
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
There is still the issue of weight. What do two folding bikes or mountain bikes weigh vs. two Segways and chargers?

Nothing in this question to do with what works on land, but what adds weight to the boat.
Old 19-11-2009, 09:23   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I cannot imagine a pair of Segways being easy to get in and out of a dingy. That is a big reason I want to unload my Deblasi (sp) folding motorcycle. And I only have one of them. I can imagine a pair the electric scooters being much better than the single unit I have now.
I am quite tempted by a Di Blasi scooter - appreciate the comments about manhandling into / out of a dinghy, but apart from that - any other comments on use / reliability / build quality?

FWIW it would probably also serve as an occassional nip into town bike (2 miles on the flat through slow urban traffic).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 10:13   #36
One of Those

What about registration? Anything with a motor being driven in traffic on pavement needs a license plate and some kind of inspection, doesn't it?
Old 20-11-2009, 00:23   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
What about registration? Anything with a motor being driven in traffic on pavement needs a license plate and some kind of inspection, doesn't it?
Also wondering about this, Segways / Go-Peds and these others all are motorized vehicles, bike paths I live by in the US outlaw motorized vehicles.

Another concern is having it confiscated.

Great suggestions here btw, things I need to think about so thanks guys!
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 03:29   #38
One of Those

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an offroad Segway. I have been fascinated by those things ever since I first saw a press release on them. And I have never seen one in person.

But for me, planning ahead, I am thinking I will end up with a couple of the lightest all-terrain bicycles I can get, folding or not. Probably aluminum. The initial cost is low, the technology is low, repairs are easy and parts are available everywhere, I won't have a lot invested if they get stolen or destroyed, they can be easily replaced, they don't require any kind of registration, and they are good exercise.
Old 20-11-2009, 05:31   #39

Here is what my wife wants. Vespa Scooters - Scooters

We do have room to drop two of them into the fore peak and could swing them off the boat when med moored. Thats how we take sails on and off and our sails weigh as much or more then these.

On and off the dinghy would be a bit of a trick I think.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 07:40   #40

Boat: Gullfstar 50
lol @ Hell's Sailors SC
I can only think of one thing. Paul Blart...Yacht Skipper.
How much do Segways weigh? Sounds like considerable hassle.
Old 20-11-2009, 07:54   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

The Google ads suggest renting a Mobility Scooter
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 08:00   #42

Boat: Farrier f27
On the plus side it'll provide increased range for ease in running errands. But the weight! -95 lbs!
I'm into walking, yachties need exercise when they get off the boat. maybe a bicycle or rent a moped for greater distance.
Segways are the ultimate useless geek toy in my book. But then if you're a geek you're in your own world and that's fine by me.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:09   #43

Boat: Cascade
Get the exercise. Just say no to scooters.
Old 20-11-2009, 14:25   #44

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Get the exercise. Just say no to scooters.
Personally, I don't need the exercise. My legs and feet are worn out. I've spent my far share on Sagways and I prefer scooters. They are more narrow and EZ'r to get thru the narrows.
Old 21-11-2009, 05:50   #45

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
I have worked with Segways and they are amazing. We do tours on them where I work and they are very popular. Getting one on and off a boat would take 2 strong people. They are quite heavy and awkward to lift and move. If you have a gang plank you could ride it on and off but you are going to need a lot of level deck space. The machines would work great on shore but I think you would be very unhappy trying to work with storing it and getting it on and off your boat.
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote