Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 21:48   #16

Boat: Beneteau 311
Yep, not bad. They have a 4-wheeler on there site as well, which is, quote "NOW ONLY IN SYNISTER BLACK" Says made in USA though, so it should be better than the Chinese minibikes

Minibike, pocket bike, kid's motorbike, waste of money! - eBay Trail Bikes, Pocket Bikes, Pocket Bikes, Go Karts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Nov-09 21:17:32 AEDST)

Bill
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 21:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_fpv View Post
Hi,

Segways are nice but I have one of these
http://www.goped.com/products/esr750ex/default.asp
and at ~ 1,000 USD they are much cheaper, and it is much more convenient on many levels (easy to fix by yourself, charges quickly, doesn’t take a nuclear power plant to charge, folds for quick storage, carries 2 people [if less than 400Lbs], less attention by ‘spectators and the law’ ).

You can also spen > 3,000 for Li-ion's that do go a lot further but 10 miles on one of these is enough.
Are the Go-Peds pretty stable? Could an older person ride one?
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 21:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsbillc View Post
Yep, not bad. They have a 4-wheeler on there site as well, which is, quote "NOW ONLY IN SYNISTER BLACK" Says made in USA though, so it should be better than the Chinese minibikes

Minibike, pocket bike, kid's motorbike, waste of money! - eBay Trail Bikes, Pocket Bikes, Pocket Bikes, Go Karts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Nov-09 21:17:32 AEDST)

Bill
They also have little harley's and pocket rockets. Guaranteed to turn any marina into a bad ass hells angels club.

The add from the eBay Minibike is funny, read the questions at the bottom.
Old 17-11-2009, 22:30   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Vanezia 42 Mahal
I have modified mine to carry extra batteries in a saddle bag arrangement so I get about 15 miles form it in econo mode which is ~ 10mph (in turbo it will go 18mph but really suck the batteries quickly).

About the 'old peoples question'. Stability is the same or better due to lower center of gravity than a bicycle, so if you can ride a bike you can ride one of these.

It is far more superior to the China made ones. Believe me I know I currently live in Shanghai and use this as a daily commuting ride..
steve_fpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 22:49   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Are the Go-Peds pretty stable? Could an older person ride one?
I got mine for $300.

Ezip 400 | Ezip 400 scooters | Ezip electric scooters
Old 18-11-2009, 00:31   #21

Boat: Islander 36
I cannot imagine a pair of Segways being easy to get in and out of a dingy. That is a big reason I want to unload my Deblasi (sp) folding motorcycle. And I only have one of them. I can imagine a pair the electric scooters being much better than the single unit I have now.
Old 18-11-2009, 05:25   #22

Boat: Beneteau 311
The Segways are a lot slower too. Segway is really neat technology, showcase for what we are capable of, but I think they got the concept right 150 years ago when they put one wheel in front of the other.
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I cannot imagine a pair of Segways being easy to get in and out of a dingy. That is a big reason I want to unload my Deblasi (sp) folding motorcycle. And I only have one of them. I can imagine a pair the electric scooters being much better than the single unit I have now.
Segways would be deployed only when at marina's but the go-ped is looking really good. I could probably make a little holder for a go-ped on the dingy. I thought I saw a rough terrain go-ped with knobby tires for a little more.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:38   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I just looked up the weight of one...95 pounds, and they cannot carry two people. I think one needs to decide if lugging two or more of these ashore makes sense.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:59   #25
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
i just looked at the Segway video, because I have long been interested in this kind of thing. But in all those scenes the one thing I noticed was that in every single case the pavement/terrain was smooth. even the 'off road' sections looked like loose leaves over a park or golf course.

Not a brick. Rock. pothole that would swallow one of those almost knee deep, in the entire video. I think you would be pretty limited where you could operate one with side by side wheels. Fore and aft wheels can dodge potholes, busted up asphalt, hop up curbs, etc. etc.

I think a bicycle arrangement is the way to go.
Old 18-11-2009, 22:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
i just looked at the Segway video, because I have long been interested in this kind of thing. But in all those scenes the one thing I noticed was that in every single case the pavement/terrain was smooth. even the 'off road' sections looked like loose leaves over a park or golf course.

Not a brick. Rock. pothole that would swallow one of those almost knee deep, in the entire video. I think you would be pretty limited where you could operate one with side by side wheels. Fore and aft wheels can dodge potholes, busted up asphalt, hop up curbs, etc. etc.

I think a bicycle arrangement is the way to go.
This video will change the way you think about Segways, towards the very end they are powing through 6" of snow. No doubt in my mind an offraod Segway x2 can go places a go-ped can't, climb stairs etc. It's more of an adventure exploring vehicle than the go-ped for the street.

Watch this and you'll see why I'd realy like to be able to fit one on a boat, I can even remove the tires to store it if need be, you can buy two side bags and a front bag that'll carry all sorts of things, cameras, food, beer, more beer, beer with lots of ice.

Let me know what you think after watching this:
Old 18-11-2009, 23:14   #27

They would only be deployed when at marina's, I'm in my late 30's so no prob for me lugging around 100lbs, my question about older people being able to ride the go-peds was in reference to my parents wanting to go for a ride, with Segways a 90 year old can ride them, the technology was actually invented for people in wheel chairs to go up and down stairs.

I know where a used off road one is for $3500 so I'm seriously considering it. My thinking is if it doesn't work out I can sell it on eBay for $3k and chalk it up as $500 worth of short term fun. Maybe get insurance and jump it in the ocean for a youtube video. (just kidding but it would be a good one )
Old 18-11-2009, 23:21   #28

Boat: Islander 36
Very impressive video. When you are in marinas, really great. I would just be heartbroken to have to balance being in a spot where I could use them against spending as much time as possible in a beautiful anchorage.

I fall in love with ideas, and then invest money in them and try to make them fit my life. Then at some point down the road I have been known to kick myself. (see my earlier post re: folding motorcycle)

I have 2 sports cars. My home is a boat that is not in the same country as my sports cars, my wife is in another country, and my work is often in yet another country.

Sorry to sound like I'm off topic. In my mind I'm still on. My point is, trying to have all the toys has not worked well for me. I just don't see these as fitting with my vision of cruising.
Old 18-11-2009, 23:27   #29

I guess maybe find a segway 'friendly' marina that will let me pad-lock it to thier fence or dock overnight or while I'm out in the boat. Is that asking for too much from a marina?
Old 19-11-2009, 04:30   #30
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Nice video. I would still say that the roughest terrain in that entire video is smoother than the average road here. no kidding. But I can see that this version of the Segway would work for a lot of it.

How hard are these things to push when the battery is dead? do they freewheel?