Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2013, 17:51   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Re: Security systems to prevent unwanted boarders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I always have a ziplock bag full of cash in plain view if someone were to enter.

The cash is soaked in dimethyl mercury
Sure you do.

Dimethylmercury passes through latex, PVC, butyl, and neoprene rapidly (within seconds) and is absorbed through the skin. Therefore, most laboratory gloves do not provide adequate protection from it,

Dimethylmercury crosses the blood–brain barrier easily, probably owing to formation of a complex with cysteine. It is eliminated from the organism slowly, and therefore has a tendency to bioaccumulate. The symptoms of poisoning may be delayed by months, possibly too late for effective treatment.

Old 06-04-2013, 18:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

It obviously doesn't work. It didn't stop this person!

You must have very large mosquitos. That wouldn't stop the small ones we have around here

Old 06-04-2013, 18:35   #33

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What kind of boarding are you trying to prevent....? naked windboarders?
Isn't that a terrible sunburn risk? Well, I suppose not if they're trying to sneak aboard in the dark. That's just silly.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45   #34

As I recall, Slocum was advised to get a young, tender "dorg" so that when he cleared the danger area he could eat the dog.

I learned years ago to paint my new downhill skis with cheap flat black paint, and now I do the same with my tender outboard.
So far it has kept the scrotes away.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25   #35

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

To me...just lock up the outboard for the dinghy. 99% of the time, that's what there after. From some of the threads on the subject, I have learned not to be too isolated when anchoring. Stay within the pack.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 20:31   #36

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Where I've been and seen boaters tend to look after each other. So stay with your boat and other boaters and let them know when your leaving the boat alone for a few days.
Don't keep anything on deck and lock up what you can. Common sense goes a lot farther then a motion detector sometimes.
Old 18-04-2013, 02:40   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Common sense goes a lot farther then a motion detector sometimes.
Nicely put

As per a recent thread, that might not be all too common as seems some do travel with an overly deveoped sense of entitlement and rely on the protection of a stack of dollars squirreled away as a Juju charm to ward off evil spirits and bullets .

Anyway, just a had a(nother) great idea ..........a development from MarkJ's hatch idea. Instead of making a grill use an Anchor!

A Danforth / Fortress (ideally a kedge). Make a couple of fittings to hang it in the companionway and maybe even lock the end of the shaft to the step (padlock or quick release - from inside!). Unless you have patio doors would prevent entry down below whilst still allowing ventilation and vision into the cockpit. Would also allow poking intruders from below with a long pointy stick (Breadknife onto a Boat hook? - an extendable one!).

IMO steel would offer better bullet -but Aluminium would still serve a decent purpose and be lighter to handle.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 02:59   #38

I clicked the link with the screwed-in cross bars over the fore hatch opening. Although that is secure, it won't allow you to remove it when you are aboard. I'm especially thinking in the event of a fire or similar death trap situations. I remember seeing a similar solution, only with a padlock, making it possible to remove it while underway and in general when you are on board.

Call me stupid, but security in a few places shouldn't override safety everywhere.
Old 18-04-2013, 14:28   #39

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Here's some hints on what somebody else already does for security. Scroll down the main page and take what ideas seem good to you.

S/V Soggy Paws - CSY 44 - Dave and Sherry McCampbell

We met these nice folks during our meanderings. Their dinghy motor really DOES look like crap. Operative word: look.
I noticed that he said "We also have a 25 mm flare pistol with SS inserts sized to shoot 12 guage shotgun shells or 38 bullets."

Assuming he has bullets or shells on board, don't boats occasionally get boarded with dogs to search for contraband? Wouldn't they detect the scent of the bullets?
Old 18-04-2013, 17:02   #40

Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I noticed that he said "We also have a 25 mm flare pistol with SS inserts sized to shoot 12 guage shotgun shells or 38 bullets."

Assuming he has bullets or shells on board, don't boats occasionally get boarded with dogs to search for contraband? Wouldn't they detect the scent of the bullets?
I don't know... But flare pistol loads look like shotgun shells, have primer caps, are gunpowder activated, etc. Wouldn't that set off an explosive-detecting dog? Haven't read about anyone having troubles because a sniffer dog detected the emergency flare gun - have you? And if the bullets and/or shotgun shells are stowed under a layer of regular flares, that might be enough for a casual look-see - especially if the owner does some fast talking about flares when the package is first handled by the inspector.

svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: