Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 07:42   #121

Re: Sea Mile to Number of Posts Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
That particular song is pretty widely recognized as an anthem for gay rights. If you are a homophobe and have been humming the tune, jokes on you.

If you think feeling marginalized on a sailing forum because of how many miles you have sailed equals being discriminated in housing opportunities, employment, or what bathroom you can use because of your sexuality or gender identity than I am not so sure you know what discrimination is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_This_Way_(song)
I was born this way.....La La La. I love that song. But I also love Cher and Dianna. And don't get me started about Marilyn.

What the world needs now, is love sweet love, ...........
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03   #122

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Hypergraphia. Is that the same as being inoculated with a gramophone needle?

Burning question. Is there a cure?

As the famous philosopher, Madonna said..... I was born this way......

So let's round up the overly verbose. The hypergraphics. And all those who just like to chat and run them out of town. After all. Chatting on a chat board is the last thing we want to see.

I have it. Let's rank the posters. Those who have never sailed, they can ask one question every 3rd day of the master sailors. Those who have sailed in the past but are not cruisers and who live and work on land, they can ask a question every 3rd day and once a week express an opinion. But while expressing an opinion they must show due respect and deference to those that out rank them on the board. A certain amount of groveling is expected.

Those who sail late afternoons or weekends but live on land, they can post a question every second day while being able to express an opinion twice a week. But also like the lower ranks they too must show groveling deference to those above.

Those cruising sailors who motor most of the time down the east coast and spend every season motoring around the Caribbean, they can post three questions a week. Questions like where do I find the jib? Is it in the luff compartment? along with similar questions while being allowed to make three comments a week.

Those who have spent more than a year owning and captaining a power vessel without sails commonly called a motor boat. They will have no rights to post for at least a year. But they can read everyone else's posts so they can contribute later. Hopefully after a year of reading posts they will be able to answer where the luff is stored.

Now we come to the difficult ones. The marina hopers who think they are cruisers. The ones who have new big sailboats who spend most of their time tied up at a marina drinking gin and tonics on their impressive looking SV or sitting in the yacht club. It is very debatable if they should be allowed to post at all.

Then you have the long distance ocean goers who spend most of their time drinking and picking up backpackers in different ports to take them on a journey for money. Since they are most all ways drunk and unable to type I'm not sure if we even need to have a category for them.

Then you have the floating gypsies, the well to do who hire captains and crew, the livaboards on vessels that never leave a marina.

So many categories and sub categories my head is spinning not knowing who should be allowed to post and who shouldn't.

I do know one thing. Jim and Anne should post as much as they can. Others who are the quite achievers who have been sailing for years. The true sea salts who have experienced more then what what has written in the books in sailing.

OK the techies should also post as much as they want because technology is changing and systems are complex. A lot to keep with. Then the ones who know how to strip down an engine while also knowing how to repair a split diaphragm on a pump. Always great contributors.

As for me I have no right to post. Having learned to sail on hobby cats as a young one. Then handling the ropes on large ocean racers in the Pacific Ocean. But I sunk to the depths of owning a motor yacht and haven't hoisted a mainsail in years.

So I should be ashamed of myself. Thinking that it is OK for me to be so verbose and chatty on a chat forum. How silly of me.

I should just go and sit in a corner like so many others who have been bullied and be quite. After all, what on earth could a women like me ask about sailing and cruising. Just stupid questions is all.

I would suggest if as indicated by the title of this thread that it is OK to go down an elitist path then think about all the categories and sub categories of people who visit this forum. I am sure you can come up with your own wonderful rules and method of classification of others so your own ego can feel superior.

Hypergraphia?

Look who is talking!

BTW: Lady Gaga.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:05   #123
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I just received my million air mile award from United. Does that count for anything?
Yep..I'll trade you my Delta Million Miler for your United and we should both fly less and sail more...

I've also about had it with the two forum members who can't play nice together...they should both put each other on their Ignore Lists and spare the rest of us the drama. Or the Moderators should send them to the principals office and give them a time out.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:06   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dunce caps and corners..wanna watch,.ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18   #125

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

I should just go and sit in a corner like so many others who have been bullied and be quite. After all, what on earth could a women like me ask about sailing and cruising. Just stupid questions is all.

I would suggest if as indicated by the title of this thread that it is OK to go down an elitist path then think about all the categories and sub categories of people who visit this forum. I am sure you can come up with your own wonderful rules and method of classification of others so your own ego can feel superior.
I don't think anyone, including me, have ever told you to sit in a corner. There are many levels of humility. It's not sit in a corner or being a sensationalist. My first year here I had probably 100 posts until I became comfortable and made friends with a few members. Since I have been more of a technical person, found my way in conversations about boat related repair. Eventually slipping into some of the more humorous and social threads, like goats sailing and bucket threads.
Heck buy a boat and get out there and enjoy life.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21   #126

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

As for me I have no right to post.

(...)
IMHO quite the opposite. This is a forum, a public space, an 'agora', a Speakers' Corner.

Everyone can post what they want and as much as they want, as long as we stay withing the boundaries set in the:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules
and
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...twork&page=tos

!

The name of the forum tells it all: CRUISERS. So it is not just about sailing (which is hardly ever a subject) or boat building and maintenance (which is at times the subject). It is foremost a social media place:

Social Knowledge - Online Community Network

How can one have a social media website without all the social chatter?

Sex, videos, healthy foods, pets, kids, ex-wives and Peter Pan syndrome ...

Either this is a forum or else en elitist English club with its males and their miles.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:31   #127

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I don't think anyone, including me, have ever told you to sit in a corner. There are many levels of humility. It's not sit in a corner or being a sensationalist. My first year here I had probably 100 posts until I became comfortable and made friends with a few members. Since I have been more of a technical person, found my way in conversations about boat related repair. Eventually slipping into some of the more humorous and social threads, like GOATS sailing and bucket threads.
Heck buy a boat and get out there and enjoy life.
I'm offended, unsubscribed! Whatever that means.

goat

Sent from my XT1058 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:34   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
. Its kind of the same as how a newbie can attain expert status in such a short time.
Don't know about others but as the only real Newby ( my last name really is Newby ) that I know of on this forum. I got my creds the old fashioned way .
Old 09-09-2016, 08:48   #129

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I'm offended, unsubscribed! Whatever that means.

goat

Sent from my XT1058 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ha ha...Jersey Dave created a thread years ago about having a goat which was circumnavigating. It was soooo hilarious! Wait...are you that goat?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:08   #130
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

D

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:30   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hypergraphia?

Look who is talking!

BTW: Lady Gaga.

;-)
b.
That's why I said I have Hypergraphia. I used to be told I was inoculated by a gramophone needle.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:00   #132
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Whatever point you are trying to make I wish you wouldn't quote me to try and make it. Likewise, unless you are a member of the LGBTQ community, I wish you wouldn't quote Lady Gaga either. As with your misattribution, your doing so trivializes their very real and legitimate struggle for equality.
What total PC dogs bollocks.
Even in this ridiculous PC world its not that Orwellian that the thought police wont let you enjoy a song that has been appropriated by some group as an anthem.

Nor is it behoven on us to understand the inner workings of some acronym like LGBTQ or to even know what the letters are, let alone mean.
Yes we are expected to have tolerance and give oportunity to all people and all groups. However that does not mean I need to know, nor care, what a CIS Transgender Male is. I have gay friends, many. I have no transgender friends and i doubt i would in the future as they dont appear to move in the circles I do.
I am certainly not wasting my time googling this stuff. There is some fleeting wonder to know that a 'transgender male' is. It it a birth male thats now female, or a birth female thats now male. Pre op or post op or arnt we allowed to ask that question?

Anyway, its rediculous to start expecting that a few people over 50 years old on a sailing forum should suddenly be positively excited by something they have only seen on a trendy kids TV show, or read about in the papers.
Its this mad PC stuff thats formed Brexit and Trumpism as a reaction.

I shall wave the flag of the Middle Age White Heterosexual Male

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:17   #133

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

That'd be MAHWM.:-)

Edit,... oops, I mean MAWHM.
Old 09-09-2016, 13:26   #134
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its this mad PC stuff thats formed Brexit and Trumpism as a reaction.
I shall wave the flag of the Middle Age White Heterosexual Male

Mark
You nailed it Amigo...
But the truth is that in the PC Social Warrior's eyes you are the problem and responsible for why they can't seem to get a good job with their gender studies degree with a minor in ethnic struggles and $80K in student debt. You need to be made to pay for your patriarchal heterofacism...give them a safe space because the real world is kicking their asses and they are ill-equipped to survive and feed themselves, again, your fault.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 14:32   #135

LOL! People are taking this thread seriously! LMAO! Only on Cruiser's forum...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote