Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 09:50   #91

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Sea Mile to Number of Posts Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
As to trying to get a sense of who the people are behind the avatars, well, those who are interested to be known fill out their profile.....................

Ann
Ann, to me this "getting a sense of who people are" is really the important thing and I appreciate those (such as yourself) that are able to express this through written word. I myself, have a difficult time writing about this sort of thing. I feel much more comfortable conveying what I am about, visually or audibly (photos, video).

That said, in the few instances that I have met my 'on-line' acquaintances in person, they typically are different (not worse, just different) than the 'electronic version' I had known previously. Perhaps I place too much emphasis on facial expression and tone of voice.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:34   #92

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

About how many miles? Well recording them IMHO is a good thing. Retired USN here and the one thing that was beaten into us way back then was to keep a log for everything, worklists, jobs completed, troublecalls, fire drills, deck logs, watch logs, you name it. I still maintain a daily work diary for what I do at work on my current boat project.

I recently purchased a new-to-me boat, my 5th boat. How many miles do I have now? Absolutely Zero as each boat is different. How many years did I sail long ago? Plenty And the new owners of those boats have those logbooks detailing the good along with the bad. Sometimes after a potential buyer read a logbook it became a selling point.

Spent years in the USN cruising around the world on big gray ships with lots of weapons and stuff. Different type of cruising although I learned a lot as I was repairing Navigation equipment (and had to know how to use it in order to understand an operator's problem).

So, with any new boat, my sea miles get reset to zero. Don't feel the need to brag about that....riding out a Hurricane at anchor is, being dismasted and living to tell the tale is, admitting that you made a bad call at sea and learned from it is (to share knowledge even if it is a somewhat embarrassing sometimes). Makes for great sea stories over drinks instead hearing: "I've sailed a bazillion miles over the last 20 years".

Still 7 months and 6 days away from repatriating to the States and starting a new logbook for my little boat.

Underway tomorrow a.m. for sea trials in the Red Sea on a German built historical river yacht launched in 1937 serving as the Engineer...How many miles do I have?

Quit sharing how many miles, who cares?...share the adventures and learning experiences!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:53   #93

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Was that her real name?
Wanda Adams, but that may be legend and/or total BS. I was not a member of the Mothers of Invention, nor am I Frank himself (as I would be unable to post... )

I would like Zee's cat to post. As that cat has done 10K sea miles, betcha the cat has lots of good information to share. And I like cats. I like Zee's posts too. Or maybe that cat is a nasty old crusty curmudgeon of a cat that'll just tell everybody that they're wrong.

It's a forum. Primarily used to waste time at work. You can pretty easily disengage the BS from reality. I don't think that fastbttms has circumnavigated the world on a sailboat, but I surely appreciate his factual knowledge about bottom cleaning, hookas, bottom paint, etc... Can't argue too much with the massive content in the photos and videos of anchors setting threads either.

Then you'll get a "what bluewater boat?" kinda thread.. Since nobody in the world has ever sailed on every 'bluewater' boat, it's gonna be a pile of opinions, not facts. Sure, somebody may have 30K miles on a Deerfoot 64 and say the Deerfoot is the best dang boat ever made. Somebody with 30K miles on a Amel may disagree with that. Sure, whatever. (And I won't post to that thread because a Catalina 30 is NOT the best bluewater boat ever)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:04   #94

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I like the way SailNet uses "Likes" for each post. Its quite interesting to see a post that has been "Liked" by half a dozen intelligent forum members.
And the idiot posts get no likes, or only "Likes" from idiots. It shows the quality posts post by post.

On Cf the only way I can show other forum members i agree with someones advice is to write a +1 post. With a "Like" button a lot of those posts are unnecessary.

I commend the Mods here to let it happen on CF.

Mark 3.3Nm:1BS

Great idea, especially now that I can't log in there anymore with the seven layers of encryption.

goat

Sent from my XT1058 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:29   #95
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ohmy ,..my cat would be horrible to read. occasionally he hates me. eeps
he can only have puter after a good meal, when he falls out due to food coma. ha ha ha ha
my work career is err was envious of those who had time to waste while at work--oh wait-- ha ha ha ha . rfk emergency room night shitft is err was where i searched for friends who used to be members of med crew scca, san francisco, and learned half were deaded,and other earth shattering bs... ha h aha ha

goat--find donna on fb--message her and she will help ye. serious. that is how i got my elebenty layers of encryption made available to my humble screw the puter hands..ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:33   #96
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Goat for President...just use a private Server and blow off the encryption...ha ha ha

Now THAT is what the forum is good for...getting a smile and laugh, even if you are laughing along, which makes me...ah...crazy....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 16:19   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Goat for President...just use a private Server and blow off the encryption...ha ha ha

Now THAT is what the forum is good for...getting a smile and laugh, even if you are laughing along, which makes me...ah...crazy....
Kind of an insult, putting me in the same group as the presidential candidates.

Old 08-09-2016, 16:21   #98
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Yikes you are right...my apologies to Mr Goat....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 16:26   #99

And Zee thanks for the tip on eebmike <--(?) Might have spelled it wrong, but have it bookmarked. Heading for Mexico once this hurricane foolishness is over with.

Old 08-09-2016, 18:32   #100

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Indeed. That is quite the insult. I'm glad you received the proper apology for this horrendous statement.

jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 20:51   #101

Boat: Beneteau 423 Oceanis Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
in the few instances that I have met my 'on-line' acquaintances in person, they typically are different (not worse, just different) than the 'electronic version' I had known previously.
MarkJ is the only CF'er I've ever met in real life and he's pretty much the same 'character' that his posts convey. WYSIWYG with him.
BlackAdder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 21:32   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Wanda Adams, but that may be legend and/or total BS. I was not a member of the Mothers of Invention, nor am I Frank himself (as I would be unable to post... )

I would like Zee's cat to post. As that cat has done 10K sea miles, betcha the cat has lots of good information to share. And I like cats. I like Zee's posts too. Or maybe that cat is a nasty old crusty curmudgeon of a cat that'll just tell everybody that they're wrong.

It's a forum. Primarily used to waste time at work. You can pretty easily disengage the BS from reality. I don't think that fastbttms has circumnavigated the world on a sailboat, but I surely appreciate his factual knowledge about bottom cleaning, hookas, bottom paint, etc... Can't argue too much with the massive content in the photos and videos of anchors setting threads either.

Then you'll get a "what bluewater boat?" kinda thread.. Since nobody in the world has ever sailed on every 'bluewater' boat, it's gonna be a pile of opinions, not facts. Sure, somebody may have 30K miles on a Deerfoot 64 and say the Deerfoot is the best dang boat ever made. Somebody with 30K miles on a Amel may disagree with that. Sure, whatever. (And I won't post to that thread because a Catalina 30 is NOT the best bluewater boat ever)
In a thread asking for a bluewater boat, I agree with you that what people will post is their opinions, but IMHO, they will have varying amounts of value based on what criteria they are basing their opinion on.

There are invariably going to be people who will claim a certain style of boat is the best because it looks like 300 yr old sailboats, others will quote state of the art naval engineering articles, others will point to sealed bulkheads and buoyancy compartments, etc.

I tend to gravitate toward those who can easily articulate a logical reason for their choices and opinions - like safety over aesthetics, or sailing ability over interior space, etc. Everyone's needs are different and thus some factors will carry more weight for a family of six vs a solo sailor, for example, but the underlying facts and evidence don't change.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 21:54   #103

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The number of posts means little except that the poster has a lot of free time on his/her hands. What is important is the relevance and quality of the posts.

The problem is, this is the Internet (thank you, Al Gore) and we can be anything we want to be on the Internet. We can be doctors or lawyers. We can be master electricians, plumbers or carpenters. We can be experienced mariners with several ocean crossings while never having even been on a boat.

If we are really bored, we can sign up to the forum using two different names and argue with ourselves.

Who checks all this? How do they check? The answer is nobody checks and it's impossible to check.

It's best to take what you read on Internet forums with at least one grain of salt and perhaps the whole shaker. It's good entertainment and some folks actually know what they are talking about. The problem is, how do you know?
Yup...you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't expect folks to start being honest now. One recent member has accomplished so many feats that she would have to be 210 years old. I'm assuming people like that come here for attention. What the hell, it's the Internet as you pointed out. There is another subcategory of that... those who for years are looking for their next boat or just over the horizon or a particular boat being a perfect fit yet no clear movement towards that. all that is fine until they start marathon posting and telling others what to do or not to do.
For me and as mentioned a few posts back, there are some very knowledgeable and talented (marine) folks here with some very useful information but very little so called sea miles. Others are former military and have a history of real sea experience that I find reflective and entertaining.
I had to laugh at the two id's that may not argue but at least reinforce one another. I saw that a few months back. Apparently the mods are able to tell through IP address's. Things like that take the seriousness out of any forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 22:37   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yup...you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't expect folks to start being honest now. One recent member has accomplished so many feats that she would have to be 210 years old. I'm assuming people like that come here for attention. What the hell, it's the Internet as you pointed out. There is another subcategory of that... those who for years are looking for their next boat or just over the horizon or a particular boat being a perfect fit yet no clear movement towards that. all that is fine until they start marathon posting and telling others what to do or not to do.
For me and as mentioned a few posts back, there are some very knowledgeable and talented (marine) folks here with some very useful information but very little so called sea miles. Others are former military and have a history of real sea experience that I find reflective and entertaining.
I had to laugh at the two id's that may not argue but at least reinforce one another. I saw that a few months back. Apparently the mods are able to tell through IP address's. Things like that take the seriousness out of any forum.

There was a guy on an offroad site who had a great sense of humor, his board name was his real name. He then added another account under the user name "Mo money than you" and a 3rd account with the user name "mo money than mo money."

He would then start crazy arguments about who had the most expensive vehicle, gold plated shocks, most bling, fastest car, most powerful engine, etc and the entire forum got a huge kick out of it because not only was the guy very funny, but he went a lot farther with the insults than members normally would. The mods and admins allowed him to go that far because they knew it was all him. He even went so far as to throw out a challenge to meet up and the 3 of them were going to duke it out, but the way he posted it all it was just over the top, like one of them claiming the other one's wife probably wouldn't let him show up, then the other one claiming he had a written note from the opponent's wife, and so on. Crazy stuff.

Another memorable member was a girl who had dated a guy on the forum and she found out that not only was he dating 3 or 4 other women, but he was married as well. So she joined the forum and spilled the beans - told everyone his wife's name and listed the names of all of his current dates. The defecation hit the fan and surprisingly, most of his staunchest supporters were the married women and some of the single women he'd recently plowed through. They raised a fuss and got the mods to delete her account pretty quickly. (That's part of the reason I let the staff on that website know I had no respect for them.)

She then joined back up under an alias, taking on the persona of an Aussie male who was interested in offroad racing and was asking questions about the vehicles. I could smell something was fishy, "he" was asking a lot of very basic questions that even a teenage boy should know, and her writing style was hard to disguise. I pm'd "him" and she admitted it was her again.

The rest of the website was surprisingly enthusiastic in their welcome, almost making "him" an overnight darling of the forum, lots of attention, especially from the women who had fought to delete her, she went out of her way to befriend those women. After 3 or 4 weeks, other people started noticing the similarity in writing style and one of the admins checked the IP address, and sure enough, it was her!

Again the defecation hit the fan and the admins deleted her account again, but not before she publicly made a note of the hypocrisy of the people who had hated her original persona, but absolutely loved her second persona!

I've always said you cannot judge anyone over the internet. Not all, but some people are not who they claim to be online. Well, I had the biggest laugh about that whole incident, and the people who were the most vocal about her both against and later for her really did not appreciate my frequent dredging that fiasco up every time the topic turned to "internet best friends" or hypocrisy, or intuition, or honesty, etc.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 23:17   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Rongvald is at least reliable in that he can always be counted on to provide a Wall Of Text with every post bordering on hypergraphia. I'll give him that much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wall_of_text
Hypergraphia. Is that the same as being inoculated with a gramophone needle?

Burning question. Is there a cure?

As the famous philosopher, Madonna said..... I was born this way......

So let's round up the overly verbose. The hypergraphics. And all those who just like to chat and run them out of town. After all. Chatting on a chat board is the last thing we want to see.

I have it. Let's rank the posters. Those who have never sailed, they can ask one question every 3rd day of the master sailors. Those who have sailed in the past but are not cruisers and who live and work on land, they can ask a question every 3rd day and once a week express an opinion. But while expressing an opinion they must show due respect and deference to those that out rank them on the board. A certain amount of groveling is expected.

Those who sail late afternoons or weekends but live on land, they can post a question every second day while being able to express an opinion twice a week. But also like the lower ranks they too must show groveling deference to those above.

Those cruising sailors who motor most of the time down the east coast and spend every season motoring around the Caribbean, they can post three questions a week. Questions like where do I find the jib? Is it in the luff compartment? along with similar questions while being allowed to make three comments a week.

Those who have spent more than a year owning and captaining a power vessel without sails commonly called a motor boat. They will have no rights to post for at least a year. But they can read everyone else's posts so they can contribute later. Hopefully after a year of reading posts they will be able to answer where the luff is stored.

Now we come to the difficult ones. The marina hopers who think they are cruisers. The ones who have new big sailboats who spend most of their time tied up at a marina drinking gin and tonics on their impressive looking SV or sitting in the yacht club. It is very debatable if they should be allowed to post at all.

Then you have the long distance ocean goers who spend most of their time drinking and picking up backpackers in different ports to take them on a journey for money. Since they are most all ways drunk and unable to type I'm not sure if we even need to have a category for them.

Then you have the floating gypsies, the well to do who hire captains and crew, the livaboards on vessels that never leave a marina.

So many categories and sub categories my head is spinning not knowing who should be allowed to post and who shouldn't.

I do know one thing. Jim and Anne should post as much as they can. Others who are the quite achievers who have been sailing for years. The true sea salts who have experienced more then what what has written in the books in sailing.

OK the techies should also post as much as they want because technology is changing and systems are complex. A lot to keep with. Then the ones who know how to strip down an engine while also knowing how to repair a split diaphragm on a pump. Always great contributors.

As for me I have no right to post. Having learned to sail on hobby cats as a young one. Then handling the ropes on large ocean racers in the Pacific Ocean. But I sunk to the depths of owning a motor yacht and haven't hoisted a mainsail in years.

So I should be ashamed of myself. Thinking that it is OK for me to be so verbose and chatty on a chat forum. How silly of me.

I should just go and sit in a corner like so many others who have been bullied and be quite. After all, what on earth could a women like me ask about sailing and cruising. Just stupid questions is all.

I would suggest if as indicated by the title of this thread that it is OK to go down an elitist path then think about all the categories and sub categories of people who visit this forum. I am sure you can come up with your own wonderful rules and method of classification of others so your own ego can feel superior.

GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote