Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2016, 18:08   #46

Boat: sailboat
Re: Sea Mile to Number of Posts Ratio

Rongvald - "I recently had this "conversation" in a previous post where a respondent claimed, in my opinion, a disproportionate number of miles sailed based upon the sailing season in the Great Lakes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mate, I not only don't see any issues with this claim, I see your accusations as being close to libelous.

Just because you, as a weekend or vacation sailor can't imagine sailing all those miles does not mean that a pro sailor would not do so.

I do not know Delancy, but I know a lot of folks who sail lots of miles, both pros and amateurs. Sheesh, even Ann and I, doddering old farts that we are average over 3000 miles a year, and have done so for three decades now.

I reckon you owe him an apology...

Jim
So You Think It's Just A Lake, Right?

Old 06-09-2016, 18:52   #47

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Rongvald - "I recently had this "conversation" in a previous post where a respondent claimed, in my opinion, a disproportionate number of miles sailed based upon the sailing season in the Great Lakes."

So You Think It's Just A Lake, Right?
Welp, I'm obviously super bored. I went and read the thread that started all this.

You did kinda start things off xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx over his Great Lakes thread... Even if you had a good point... They were neat pictures, and not something you'd ever see on some quiet Lake WoeBeGone... But his personal attacks were immature, and ill informed... And xxxxxxxxxxxxxxis that Northern European thing about? OK, I just talked myself out of having any point here.

Mod edit: next time we remove the post.

Old 06-09-2016, 19:25   #48
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshore View Post
. Nowhere anywhere in the professional maritime world is "sea miles" used as a measure of competence. In any license application experience is measured in days and years at sea
Maybe it has changed but I had to reinforce my Canadian applications to test for higher 'Foreign Going' license eligibility by providing the Coast Guard -DOT Examiner with actual voyage plans including sea miles as well as days offshore as a watchkeeper or in command if limited tonnage
Old 06-09-2016, 19:38   #49

Boat: sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Welp, I'm obviously super bored. I went and read the thread that started all this.

You did kinda start things off byxxxxxxx all over his Great Lakes thread... Even if you had a good point... They were neat pictures, and not something you'd ever see on some quiet Lake WoeBeGone... But his personal attacks were immature, and ill informed... Andxxxxxxxx that Northern European thing about? OK, I just talked myself out of having any point here.
Rongvald is at least reliable in that he can always be counted on to provide a Wall Of Text with every post bordering on hypergraphia. I'll give him that much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wall_of_text
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	62
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	130767  
Old 06-09-2016, 19:53   #50
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

[QUOTE=Guy;2207437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Agree, seems more like a penis measurement thread.

How would that work for women? I wonder if Jean Socrates could respond to this thread?

I'm hoping you actually got the jist of my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-09-2016, 20:25   #51

If you're here you're not sailing, so maybe the inverse applies.
Old 06-09-2016, 21:19   #52

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

My logged hours are on par with other CF members that are commercial sailors and have > 30 years on the water. I don't know the English Channel or where to get a boat hauled on the Sea of Cortez. I start here for some of that info.

It is plain there are many loquacious individuals on CF. Good! The interesting stories of new captains getting their moneys worth out of towing insurance at every port, calamitous but successful deliveries of vessels by skippers using duct tape and baling wire along with many others inspire me to take pad in hand occasionally and add to what I consider to be a worth while mix of solid gold, fluff and bs.

The ratio of valuable info is kept high do to the regulars input.
Old 06-09-2016, 21:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Our chartplotter records total mileage. Presently just under 30,000 miles.

So a 10 NM rhumb line windward beat on a catamaran is logged as 50 NM by the chartplotter.

Nice one

I'll have to start using chartplotter miles on my CV and for calculating my point to point average speeds.
Old 06-09-2016, 22:15   #54

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Our chartplotter records total mileage. Presently just under 30,000 miles.
I just use the miles on my speed log. I should have to subtract the miles from when my father and uncle took my boat when I was out of action with a broken leg. However coming out of the winter the speed sensor was not fitted and during the 2 weeks they sailed, they never asked me why the speed was not working
Old 07-09-2016, 00:16   #55

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I've done about 40,000 sea miles aprox, and i've done about 1,000 posts...
So ratio of 40 miles per bit of bullshit.

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

nice try Mark
Old 07-09-2016, 04:47   #56

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I don't find this forum so bad but many others do seem to correlate experience with the number of posts someone has. All that tells me is they have a lot of experience behind a computer.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:42   #57

Boat: production yacht, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Nearly exactly to the day 2 years ago, I made the following comments (don’t bother looking for it, it is small, not important), subject was “Bluewater Boats”.

The forums like Cruising/Sailing Anarchy, SailNet, Cruisers Forum, Boat Design etc. are full of comments made on the subject. Does one need my opinion as well?
Likely not, even more so as I have no real experience in thousands of miles in offshore passage making.
My only contribution could be to find anomalies in comments of others, or to make summaries of other opinions.

My first impression is, no, my first question is: All those hundreds or even thousands of people making comments on the suitability of boats: how qualified are they?
And what makes a person qualified: Number of miles sailed? How many years one has been sailing? Formal qualifications? Number of boats one has sailed on?
A good share of luck of bad luck? Gift of good verbal/written expression? (also known as BSer)
Does a bigger boat makes one more qualified? Or doesone crossing of the Atlantic equal 4 trips around the Caribbean?
Does one Atlantic crossing as crew equal one trip around the Caribbean as a skipper?

I can't help wondering about the shallowness of some comments, about lack of common sense, about the often one-sided vision.

Could I do better? Hehehe, maybe, give me 20 years, and sailing around the world a few times and up and down as well, in different boats, having a fair share of accidents/incidents, then I might be able to make objective comments that deserve reading and be noticed.
end of quote

I am pretty sure that most regular readers have figured out, who are the contributors that are worthwhile to listen to, who are the armchair sailors, who are the opinionated ones and who are just witty, clever, entertaining with or without an opinion, who are here seemingly just to aggravate others.
Just 3 disclaimers here:
- Some armchairs sailors are just that because they their days of actively sailing are if not numbered, finished, because of ie health problems
- Some posters may lack sailing experience but have great and in-depth knowledge of some or many subjects
- Some people might have look like being aggravating, but are having just a bad day, or may not have English as their native language
Old 07-09-2016, 07:45   #58

I'm on a few different forums and I have a fairly simple method of figuring out who's who in the zoo. I'm fairly proficient in quite a few disciplines and can sniff out BS in a flash. I also won't hesitate to Google the subject if someone makes a claim that smells fishy.

One example was a civilian GPS thread. When I went through GPS school, the military was the only user of GPS and you had to load crypto into it periodically to get any fix at all. Since then, civilian companies actually developed more accurate methods of calculating the fix, so although my memory was actually pretty good, it wasn't correct when it came to civilian versions.

IMHO, by far the most egregious misplacement of trust is the tendency of a group of posters who've known each other for a while to "gang up" on another poster because they don't like him or her, while at the same time giving an "all knowing" pass to the current holder(s) of the "cult of personality." Meaning - regardless of the citations given or the impeccable source evidence quoted, the "gang" will continue to argue with no tangible evidence to prove their position. Meanwhile, others have only to say anything ridiculous and it's taken as gospel.

I will always follow the evidence and give far more weight to a post that references sources. If a poster can cite an article or research that supports his position, I'll go and read it and find out "the truth" rather than misinformation. I don't care if the post is a regurgitated summary of the original scholarly article, as long as it's true, that's all I'm after. Sometimes you find out some amazing things.

For example, everyone knows that alternating current is the best method for transmitting lots of power over long distances. However, it appears that Siemens didn't learn that lesson, because they built the largest transmission line in the US between LA and the PNW and it's a DC intertie. DC is more efficient at higher power levels due to the lack of skin effect. Surprising things you learn at any age, if you keep your mind open and ignore insignificant details like post count or miles allegedly sailed.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:54   #59
I promise to put my pants on

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I wonder if taxi drivers can fix a car or tell others how to?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:58   #60
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Sea Mile to Number of Posts Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wonder if taxi drivers can fix a car or tell others how to?

Sounds like a question for David Old Jersey..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: