Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 16:08   #61

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
What's a boat based north of Boston doing with a name like Beausoleil? As I pointed out in another thread, the name is actually in honor of one of my distant ancestors, Joseph "Beausoleil" Broussard, a patriot (or terrorist - depending on whether you took the French side or the British) who led a contingent of exiled Acadians from Nova Scotia to Louisiana back in the mid 18th century. Homage to my Cajun roots!

It's also the name of a Grammy-award winning Cajun band from Lafayette, Louisiana. They play a little Zydeco, too!

When we acquired her, my wife originally wanted to keep her existing name (the boat - not my wife!) of Agave. But querying the USCG documentation database, there's ton's of boats named "Agave" or "Blue Agave", but few "Beausoleil"s, and I thought a little "beautiful sun" was more appropriate.

And a flag of Acadiana as a courtesy flag looks pretty nice, as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian_flag.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	3231  
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 18:38   #62

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Our first boat we named NESHAMAH which is an old Hebrew word that means "spirit" or in an older translation "a wind that gives life".

Well, lovely as that was, NOBODY could pronounce it. So everyone who got to know us out cruising would just call us on the radio by our dog's name. Schooner-dog. So that sort of became our call sign.

Our current boat came with the name Majestic and we would like to change it, just can't decide on a new name. Our 3 year old comes up with some interesting suggestions like "Monster Truck" and "Dragon Ghost" etc etc.

Hopefully we'll come up with something that makes the whole family happy and is easily said over the radio!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 19:49   #63

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
As most of you here know, I am not much with words. Our boats name is one that I have not found in any of the databases.
"Chailena" (Kai-lee-nuh) was the name of my great grandmother. Her father (my great- great grandfather) worked on a ship out of Norway. At one point he fell from the rigging. Had he fallen into the sea he would likely have died quickly from the cold. As it was, he landed on the Chai deck. (I have no idea what the chai deck is). Although he was injured, he was very greatful that he landed on the deck rather than in the water and decided that he would name his first child for the chai deck.
When he first was born, he named her "Chailena" after the Chai deck on the ship "Lena". My great grandmother told me this story when I was a small child and I have remembered it to this day and tell it to my children.
Can I guarantee that this story is true? No, but I have no reason to doubt it.
Anyway, that is how I came by the name of our boat.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 00:38   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In Hebrew, the word "chai" is spelled by these two letters (below) means "living", and is related to the term for "life," chaim.
It seems appropriate to your (clausont) great-great grandfather's serendipitous situation. The deck saved his life.

schooner:
I think that "Neshamah" refers to the “soul”, or the “breath of life”*, in Hebrew.
* As in, ”And God breathed into his nose the breath of life."
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:12   #65

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
That is very interesting Gord. I did not know that. Well, that makes it so much the better name

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24   #66

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
After long thought I named my boat for my daughter. I knew she would be the only woman that would never vanish from my life, having divorced twice.
She is pleased to have the boat named after her and it gives me a reason to keep the boat in tip-top shape to reflect the beauty of both.
Old 28-02-2009, 17:36   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I have to disagree, Kai Nui.

In the Polynesian languages, as I recall, all vowels are pronounced. Thus, Hawai'i is correctly pronounced (Hah vah EE ee or Hah wah EE ee, both are acceptable). And the island of Kaho'olawe, which most haoles (whites, or all foreigners) foolishly mispronounce kuh HOO luh wee, is correctly pronounced Kah ho oh LAH ve or Kah ho oh LAH we, with the concluding sound the same as wet, or vet, with the "t" omitted.

So I would pronounce Faiaoahe: Fah ee ah oh AH he, with the vowel sound in the concluding "he" sounding more like the e in "bet" or "help." The concluding sound is not, in my understanding, the same as "hay," as in hay fever.

I would be curious to know how Celestialsailor pronounces it.

TaoJones
Geez!!! i just stumbled back into this thread while looking for the owner of one of my Faiaoahe's. To answer your question Tao, Melville excused the English speaking person to pronounce it as Fayaway. How ever while researching the name I asked an owner of a Marquesas web site. He told me Fay-a-o-way (the "a" being short and the "o", long).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 17:41   #68

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
The boat I am currently refitting was originally named "Trishen". Came form Trish and Ken, the original owners. We felt we had to follow suit, so she'll be christened "Charisma" after us, Christian and Marisa. Beat out Martian and Christmas (but not by much...)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 17:54   #69
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
My boat name Softair came from my previous software company name that used to specialized in aviation software, soft = software and air self explanatory.

Later on I sold the company but I decided to retain the name since I saw a direct relation with sailing so it came to be a pure coincidence. I created a BVI corporation with the same name and this company owns her, she will be commissioned as sv Softair next week at the BV

Great post
Old 28-02-2009, 18:04   #70

Boat: 26' - "My Time"
Someone I worked for once wanted me to do something however the job was impossible to do in the given time. Thier comment was to "find the time" Well I found the time ....when I am on "My Time"
MyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 19:35   #71

Boat: 94 Bayliner 2855
The screen name is what my wife wants to call our boat. About one and a half years ago we bought a power boat that was named after the original owners' kids -Jeffrey Ray. This doesn't work for us but it's funny that my next door neighbor has two kids - Jeffrey and Raymond. They got a kick out of that when I brought the boat home and saw the name.
Anyway, I like beaches and it seems that for as long as we have been boating we always seem to end up at one. My two boys and myself want to call it sandy bottom -with a graphic of a bikini wearing behind, sprinkled with sand. My wife is not fond of it. She prefers a sarcastic Sea Ya.
I still have a couple of months to win her over, but I think we all know who's gonna win.......

Sea ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 20:51   #72

Boat: Westsail 32
Bloodhound was the name of a frigate that explored parts of an African River in the late 1700s. Also the original name of a whaler that was renamed Endeavour and explored the Arctic (or was it the Antarctic?) in the early 1800s. Also the name of the Royal Yacht back in the 1950's. We've owned and tracked with bloodhounds for over 30 years so I guess it was an obvious choice for us. It was also the alternative to "Charles Darwin" which would likely have raised many an eyebrow here in "the south" (Oklahoma) but which was my real first choice (just to make a statement ). It might have been attractive to vandals, so the original Dream Weaver (which I detested) became Bloodhound.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 21:08   #73

Boat: Islander 36
Minggat (pronounced ming-got) is Javanese. It is one of my wifes native languages. Its' meaning is actually 5 wordsi n english. Or as little as 3 words if you say it in anger. GO AWAY, DON'T COME BACK or GO TO HELL.

So when we get a call on the radio, we hear "go to hell, go to hell, go to hell, this is..."

Well,... WE think it's funny.
Old 28-02-2009, 21:16   #74

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
OK, I'll join in....my screen name is actually the name of my cat.....
My boat's name is Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec god in the form of a feathered serpent, and in one description, the god of water and air....
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names