Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 12:10   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Scammers

I have a Genoa up for sale in several locations and I recieved this reply today. In a previous e-mail I asked him to call me.

Watch out for these guys. I told this one if he couldn't put the money in my hand or give me a certified check for the full amount, I wouldn't do business with him.

Sellers beware............................................ ..._/)

Quote:
Hello , Thanks very much for the email and letting me know its available, I Would like to let you know that I have a Problems With my Ears. The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of this and also to let you know that payment will be a US Certified Money Order or Check method. In view of this I need you to email me any information that may be required to send the payment, as I do not want to send the payment to a wrong location lest they gets into the wrong hands. Regarding the shipping, I will get a company that would take care of the pick up of my consignment for me and ship to my destination anywhere in the U.S.A., You Don't have to worry about shipping, the company will send down a Rep. to arrange the Sales Documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination. I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving an overdraft payment, which will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you. So please, as soon as you receive the payment , go and cash them immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you cost of this item and take a compensation of $100 for stress making you go thru, and you will send the rest balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via the nearest Western Union agent in your area. Deduct the Western Union charges from the balance and send the remaining Immediately . I will give you the details of the company that you will send the balance of the money to once I get a reply and agreement that you will send the money via Western Union money transfer immediately you cash the payment. Once the money is received by the agent, the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately. So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final assurance of the payment to you. (1) Full Name (2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please (3) Your Cell and home telephone number Once you get back to me with all the above, the payment will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you . Hope to hear from you immediately
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:15   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
English obviously wasn't his first language!

I tried to sell some of my old Nikon's on e-bay and got absolutely plastered with offers from all over the globe. Probably 200 in all and not one legitimate one. It's not hard to pick up on the scam. Just be careful and watch what your parents are doing with your inheritance on e-bay!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:21   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Before anyone reads that and thinks to themselves, "Jesus, how could anyone not see through this scam?" the truth is that this, and countless variations of it, work on gullible (and, often, greedy) souls every day. The con artists who perpetrate these scams are actually keen students of human psychology, and know just what buttons to push to seperate fools from their money.

Thanks for posting that, delmarrey.

TaoJones
Old 05-03-2007, 17:54   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I have had similar emails regarding the purchase of my sailboat. It doesn't stop with Ebay they can pick up any info from any web site.

Today I received a letter from Spain from some person who works in a bank telling me that a deceased relative(?) of mine had $77 million dollars in a safe deposit box and she had access to it and would send me 40% and she would keep 60%. I was to contact her and give her my phone number and fax number. She didn't need my address because she already had it. She also told me that I shouldn't tell anyone and that the only other person who knows about it was her husband.

Guess I don't need the money and will send the letter to our District Attorney.

Most of these con letters have poor English or is Inglish?
Old 05-03-2007, 18:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
ummm Del, OK, I have this friend that got caught by a Scam once. This Friend of mine is having trouble understanding the issue above. So my friend is asking a few questions. He wants to know what is the problem if the buyer is saying he will send the money and you go to the bank and cash it. Isn't this in advance of the goods being sent?? or am I...err...my friend missing something.
My Friend got scammed for $800 buying an autopilot off E-bay a couple of years back. He didn't have $800 and it was a big ask to come up with it. It's a long story, I..err.. my friend thought he was safe because he sent a registered Bank cheq and he even recieved the signature, address and PhNo. all where verified. But the guy disappeared and the goods did not exist and Ebay would not do a thing about it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 19:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
He wants to know what is the problem if the buyer is saying he will send the money and you go to the bank and cash it. Isn't this in advance of the goods being sent??
If that were all he was saying I'd just go to the bank. But no, I'm getting this chase the wild goose stuff, which hardly makes any sence.

I'll just wait and sell it to someone sane I don't need the $$ that bad, just the space it's taking up.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:20   #7

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Hi Guys
Got Three in my mail the other day. All from (LOL) Lloyds TSB bank.
Rgds
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58   #8

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
Ref: Scammers.

If you recognize a scam and have time on your hands you can have some fun, drive the scammer nuts and waste his time . Visit Welcome to the 419 Eater These people have tips and links on "almost" completing transactions.

Like un-openable Western Union tracking documents, un-readable scans of WU documents, endless receiver identity questionnaires that must, of course, be completed in full. My favorite was a fake identity "retina scan", the flashing of which, tended to induce a epileptic fit in those susceptible. (I can't put my hand on the retina scan link at the moment.)

Anyway, the philosophy behind the 419baiters is that by making the scammer jump through hoops and generally wasting his time and resources, he won't have time to scam someone else.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:40   #9

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
A girl at my last job got stung by a scammer. The odd/funny bit about the deal was that she was the company's "Computer IT Expert". So she should have known better. But, she was one of the most self centered, greediest humans I have ever known.

I'ts got to be the greed that blined her.

-jim lee
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53   #10

Hi, guys,
My wife is a bank manager. She has to deal with the sad endings of 2 or 3 of these scams nearly every day. Most of the time, it's an older person who lives alone, and doesn't have somebody around who recognizes a scam when they see one.
There's a thousand variations on the theme, but the theme goes like this:
Scammer sends a check (or "cheque", for my Canadian friends!) for some amount above the agreed upon value of whatever the deal is. The scammee deposits the check in the bank, withdraws an amount equal to the overage, and sends it one way or another to the scammer, who is usually out of the US.
The bank puts a hold on the amount until it clears (which it won't), but the scammee already has some money in the account, enough to cover the withdrawal of the overage, so the bank has to give the scammee the cash.
The check turns out to be bad, and the scammee is out the amount of the overage.
A couple of days ago, there was one where an 80+ year old guy got a letter telling him he had won a Canadian sweepstakes for a small amount of money, like $3500, all he had to do was return the card, no personal info required. Sounds OK, right? He sends the card back. Of course, the card is coded with a serial number, so the scammers know which one of a gazillion cards this one is. So they look up the card's serial number, get his address, and send him a letter. It says they will send him his winnings in two parts. The first is a check for $1000, which is included with the letter. The scammee is instructed to deposit the check, and then wire $350 by Western Union back to an account in Canada to pay for the documentation fees and Canadian taxes. Once that is done, they will send him another check for the remaining $2500.
The thinks, OK, this is a straight up deal. No cash out of pocket. I don't mind paying taxes on winnings. As long as the bank takes the check, it must be OK. Right? Nope.
In the US, a lot of old folks get the Social Security deposited in their bank accounts on the same day every month. These scams go out a few days before that. So the guy's SS money is in his account. He deposits the very-real-looking check, then takes the $350 out and has it wired to the Canadian account.
Sadly, he also went on a bit of a spending spree, writing several personal checks around town for things he wanted or needed, and gifts for his grandchildren.
By the time the personal checks he had written came in for payment, the scam check had been determined to be a stolen "washed" check, with a stop-payment from the issuing bank. So now the guy is out the $350, and he's got a bunch of bounced checks to cover, at $25 in fees for each.
So my wife calls him, asks him to come into the bank, where the story gets told. He's embarrassed as hell. The bank agrees to drop the bad-check fees, but the guy is still out the $350. And he won't get another SS payment for another month.
The cops get the full story, of course, on every one of these. They dutifully file it away, and do nothing. I don't know the legal issues, related to out-of-country scammers, but there seems to be little the cops are willing to try to do about it.
Often, the check is for some purchase (like Del's sail) and the scammer is simply looking for something for sale that is somewhat less than the stolen check he has in his hand. He sends the check, with some excuse for the overage, and asks that the overage be sent back to him in cash or by wire. These things are going on by the thousands every day in the US now.
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Alan, tell your friend that those 'certified checks' are usually drafted on out of country banks. YOUR bank will cash them for you, send them off to the originating back, and find they are forged or outright fakes. YOU are then out that whole amount .. including what ever object they bought, and the cash that you sent. So ... lets add that all up: Value of 'certified check', plus item you shipped, plus cash you sent to some offshore corporation, MINUS the chump change they suggested you keep = a double hit.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
excellent Gator ... teach me to walk away from the computer for a few minutes to take care of work stuff.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 14:59   #13

Boat: NONE yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
ummm Del, OK, I have this friend that got caught by a Scam once. This Friend of mine is having trouble understanding the issue above. So my friend is asking a few questions. He wants to know what is the problem if the buyer is saying he will send the money and you go to the bank and cash it. Isn't this in advance of the goods being sent?? or am I...err...my friend missing something.
My Friend got scammed for $800 buying an autopilot off E-bay a couple of years back. He didn't have $800 and it was a big ask to come up with it. It's a long story, I..err.. my friend thought he was safe because he sent a registered Bank cheq and he even recieved the signature, address and PhNo. all where verified. But the guy disappeared and the goods did not exist and Ebay would not do a thing about it.
Wheels

Yeah your bank should take care of this for you. Uuumm sorry your friend's bank should take care of this for you all he should have to do is file a claims with said bank stating that this item was never sent to you and generally with little or no ?'s they should refund your friend. Unless he does it weekly. Up to about 6 months.

You really gotta watch out for scams I had listed a handmade leather purse that my wife made on ebay. I received a similar email for some one who stated pretty much the same thing. I was happy as all get out as we had sold a $600 item and where getting paid, Hell yeah. So a weeks goes by I get a MONEY ORDER from someone in the amount of $3500 for the item that was $600 with shipping. I call the number on the money order it was a WESTERN UNION MO. The money order number that was on this check that I received was cashed several months before in the amount of about $100. My wife was recently looking for new job and posted a resume online. Received an email form someone claiming to work for a travel company for here to process payments for them.. MY wife being pretty new to the internet and pretty gullible at time ( this can be fun once in awhile) asked me to read it. I took a look and saw that the email found several mistakes that a business would not make. I check on the business domain name and low and behold it was available for purchase. So not everyone is on the up and up so watch who you deal with and never send a payment to someone you don't know, or send product until the check clears.
Paypal is the only way I shop online cause they do protect you.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 20:30   #14

Got a new one...........for job placement

This could really suck someone in.............

Quote:
In order to apply, please review this text and click on the "I AM READY" link

Please read the text below carefully as there are some information about Co-Processing Pty Ltd and your career opportunity with us.
Common information

Co-Processing Pty Ltd is a young and growing multinational company. We have more than 10 departments worldwide (mostly Australia and North America). The head office is located in Melbourne, Australia. Our company is engaged in mail and money management and collecting payments worldwide. We're providing check/wire clearing service for customers throughout the European Union and Asia who for some reasons need to receive payments from the United States. Reasons for this include, but not limited to:
  • telecommute work
  • affiliate programs
  • sponsorship
  • travellers assistance
The purpose of the job is to expedite funds clearing, since clearing of foreign checks/wires overseas can take up to 3 months. Therefore we're establishing an agent service in order to process the funds in the country of origin, hiring a contract staff to work with transfers.
Junior Financial Manager vacancy description
We are looking for HONEST and reliable people for this position.

Requirements:
  • US RESIDENTS ONLY (no exceptions)
  • reliable Internet/e-mail access (must be able to check e-mail 2-3 times a day)
  • checking/savings bank account
  • 2-3 hours of free time a week (mainly in non-business hours) for communications
  • Adults only (21+)
Persons who are accepted for this position will follow these instructions:
  • Receive the funds from either our company or our partners to his/her designated bank account approved by our manager;
  • Withdraw the funds, keeping specified money transaction fee as a commission for your services (usually between $150 to $500, no less than $150 per transfer);
  • Send the rest of the money to our company and/or our partners via the specified transaction operator.
  • Report transaction details back to the manager.
Our preferred money transfer methods are personal/corporate checks, money orders and bank transfers.
Job description
We will send you the funds through one of our money transfer methods from our company and/or our partners directly to you.
Your part of the job is to ensure the clearing of funds, re-sending the money (less your commission) to us/our customers via one of chosen money transfer agencies. This should be done on the same or the next day when the funds are available for transfer (usually 2 business days).
Necessary transaction details will be sent to you via e-mail. You will have it as soon as you confirm availability of the funds. We will start with one transaction to gain the trust for both parties, after the first transfer is done you should express how many transfers you're able to handle every business day. If you're willing to try our program, fill out the form below with your personal information. Every completed form will be reviewed and our manager will contact you in 24 hours.
Getting started
We will need you to provide some basic personal information to get started. Please click on "I AM READY" link below to fill the form. You might want to specify any questions you have. Thank you for reading this document. Good luck.
We respect your privacy! Any and all information collected on this site will be kept strictly confidential and will not be sold, reused, rented, disclosed, or loaned! Any information you give to us will be held with the utmost care and will not be used in ways that you have not consented to. We may, however, use your email address to send you information about our site, products and service. Please note that in order to provide better functionality to our users, our site employs cookies. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Co-Processing Pty Ltd
PO Box 164, Stones Corner QLD 4120 Australia
Old 28-03-2007, 20:46   #15
Kai Nui

All I can say is after the second time through, I still have no idea what I am supposed to do with the money I guess if you promise you will send him something, no wait, he will confirm with, no that's not it. Ah hell, I wouldn't have sold it to him either. Mainly because it would just be to darn much effort to figure out how.