Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 14:58   #1

Boat: c&c landfall 43
san diego

looking for some advise, can anyone in the san diego area give me some advise as where first to look at getting a slip? any recomendations to marianas where any of you are at. As of right now the chula vista has a slip for me and pier 32 said they would not know till later. I am only looking for a slip for 2 months (sept. and oct. 2009) thanks
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 15:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
www.thelog.com and click on "Marina" or ... The Log.com Marinas Guide .
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 15:25   #3

so there is alot of marias but is there any that you can recommend I have emailed a few but I dont even really know where there are in the bay or how far from down town ect.. cheers
Old 17-02-2009, 16:37   #4

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I know that this doesn't really address your question but I just wanted to be sure that you know there is an anchorage in SD. Many cruising yachts stay there waiting for the end of hurricane season to go south.

You can see about a dozen boats anchored in the center of this pic. The dinghy doc is to the upper right. There is bus service into town.

Also there are/were??? State docks at the entrance to Shelter Island. You can stay there pretty cheap for 3-5 days per month (if they're still there)

Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 17:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Having spent only a week there myself. I would suggest you try North Carolina. It's more a matter of persistence than where to go. The Shelter island anchorage is only open certain days of the the week and is pretty small. You could miss it. The Coronado Hotel anchorage has a time limit. moorings from the City are the most affordable. San Diego is not a place where you just show up looking for a cheap slip.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 17:41   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Limmer:

I keep my boat at the Montego Cay Marina. It does not allow liveaboards, is quite far from downtown, and no place for longterm parking. There are no showers or any other amenities. On the good side it is inexpensive (for San Diego), the Silver Strand State Beach is in easy walking distance, and it is safe.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 18:49   #7

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Kona Kai Marina

I stayed at the Kona Kai Marina on Shelter Island for about 7 years, great place and close to the channel so easy to get to the ocean. Chula Vista is also nice, farther from town but very good price. Harbor Island is nice but noisy with the airport nearby. Most places seem to have short term slips (couple weeks to months) but permenant slips are harder to come by depending on your length. Under 40 feet seems to be much easier than 60 feet.
Old 17-02-2009, 21:44   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there are some temporary moorings available through the san diego mooring company 619-291-0916, information regarding the municipal dock is 619-686-6227. the number for the municipal docks is also the number to call for the crruiser's permitted anchorage, or 90 day anchorage....there may be dockage available at sun road marina. do check the log. do call mooring company. do call the municipal dock and anchorage folks.....good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:32   #9

Thanks for all the advise, I kew that it was going to be a bit of a challenge comming from vancouver where there is little to none in the way of slips. but it looks like finding a slip wont be to hard (except for the price) but its the staying on board that might be the problem (liveaboard). Do you know if they would allow for us to stay on the boat at these marinas because they would surely know that we have just sailed down from Vancouver and would be planning on it. I was counting on visitor slips meaning that you were allowed to stay on the boat. thanks
Old 18-02-2009, 09:50   #10

the rates the marinas charge for boat is 16-18/ft plus about 300 for liveaboard
there is a cruisers special in the yacht haven marina down in chula vista--kjeeep asking for cruisers special every marina you talk with--some do and some do not have that.
the mooring fee is 260 -300/mo for the boat
no amenities but cha kin live on board with no problem and is probably a good precursor to cruising-is one reason why i donot mind the no amenities thing.....all we do have is parking and dock for dinks.....everything is all on oiurselves for showers and stuff...the municipal dock is available for stints of 10 days total in 30 days
no reservations accepted--is first come first served.....if you have questions, let me know....i live here, and i am on mooring....but i have connections and know the current prices in marinaland.....and i know who to call for what stuff needed....where to find stuff...and downwind marine is the place to go for supplies and such for the boat......and cruising packets---knowledge for cruisers...where and how to get the stuff needed for cruising---mexico fishing licenses etc...all in their packet....
the most pricey marinas here in dagoland are konakai and sun road...ask for cruising specials....call all the marinas, shop them----you should be able to find something.......
-
Old 18-02-2009, 11:00   #11

zeehag thanks for the reply I will take you up on that offer. We were looking at getting a mooring but when I called there was a wait lost of something like ten years. Am I wrong, the misses is looking at shelter island, go figure the most $, because we have a 2 year old and she wants to be close to town or shops and stuff. can you recommend anything? or someone to talk to. I guess we would prefer a slip but would take mooring for sure. On another note how far is chula vista really from stores and such? thanks
Old 18-02-2009, 16:22   #12

the waiting list for permanent moorings is forever and more than one day.....same with marinas....there are cruisers specials and there are temporary moorings......the boat i bought, formosa, was on a temp for 4 yrs.....go figger.......so figger out which end of town ya want to be in----there are pros and cons to each end of this bay......if you come in after 1700 and before 0830, i recommend calling the office for the dock before they go home.....maybe they might consider your needs----has been known to happen!!.happy to share my knowledge with others .....is a stranger place than it was 10 yrs or even 5 yrs ago!
Old 19-02-2009, 20:17   #13

so it looks like we have secured a slip at kona kai it is a bit pricey but we are only there for 3 months or so (aug-sept-oct). thanks again for all the help limmer
Old 19-02-2009, 21:05   #14

coool--if you have any questions about anything here let me know----my only life is repairs on my formosa ,,,,,,,so i am around a bit and i should have a functioning car by then!!!!

Tags
san diego