Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 16:14   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 989
Images: 3
Sailors Anonymous

dont drink, dont smoke, dont do drugs, dont gamble, dont eat too much, but I cant give up the boat. "It's me or the boat" she said; so now I'm single as well. I wake in the night and my dreams are of slapping halyards and heaving seas. Is there no hope for me?
__________________

__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 16:25   #2
Registered User
 
iSaint's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Boat: SOLD moving aboard something bigger soon
Posts: 202
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Nah, you're in deep and made the right choice. There are plenty of mermaids waiting for your dreams.
__________________

__________________

Rock Steady
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 16:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Akron, Ohio
Boat: Bristol 29(1967)
Posts: 574
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Me or the boat...?

Of all the things a person can do, to be confronted with such an ultimatum ... a boat?
__________________
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 18:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,020
Re: Sailors Anonymous

No hope, but you will be fine.

If you want a partner, find one that will either join your folly or tolerate it.

Sailing can be an addiction as anything else. The sure sign to tell you are addicted is when you sail, you swear never again, then you sail more.

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 21:12   #5
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,165
Re: Sailors Anonymous

I'm single, too!! Post a picture!

....of the boat
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:14   #6
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,879
Images: 6
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Hello, my name is Don, and I am a sailor.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:16   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Akron, Ohio
Boat: Bristol 29(1967)
Posts: 574
Re: Sailors Anonymous

You know ... I see Theresa Carey ... and her initial relationship with(sorry forgot his name), and I think to myself that they're in a long dance/courtship, which allows each free space, while remaining focused on something each want to accomplish(sailing) ... a long growing relationship.

There are women who have real interest in things that, as is evidenced at every marina in America( and elsewhere), that men seem to be more predisposed to pursue.

Maybe there's a reason that most explorers were men(?)?

Anyway, as Barnakiel said find one who will take to your folly or, at the least tolerate it.

Actually too much toleration will often just lead to more frustration ... forget the tolerant ones, unless your sailing plans are expected to(maybe), wane in a couple of years ... and think hard about what you want in a sailing partner.

I'm going out on a limb, but a "tolerant", partner might be like a firecracker with a fuse of unknown length ... the more tolerant ... maybe the bigger the bang.

The idea of being tolerant, cries for termination ... either of your dream of full-time sailing(let's get a house), or for complete acceptance of your dream(your dream actually becomes her dream).

warning ... warning ... warning ... Will Smith ... the most "tolerant" of us, can, in an instant, become the most intolerant ... instantly, and with no real warning ...

Maybe, for your sanity, you should just buy a house on a beach and get a MacGregor 26
__________________
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:28   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,106
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'm single, too!! Post a picture!

....of the boat
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:55   #9
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Whoo! Finally made it back to Mexico!
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,450
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
You know ... I see Theresa Carey ... and her initial relationship with(sorry forgot his name), and I think to myself that they're in a long dance/courtship, which allows each free space, while remaining focused on something each want to accomplish(sailing) ... a long growing relationship.

There are women who have real interest in things that, as is evidenced at every marina in America( and elsewhere), that men seem to be more predisposed to pursue.

Maybe there's a reason that most explorers were men(?)?

Anyway, as Barnakiel said find one who will take to your folly or, at the least tolerate it.

Actually too much toleration will often just lead to more frustration ... forget the tolerant ones, unless your sailing plans are expected to(maybe), wane in a couple of years ... and think hard about what you want in a sailing partner.

I'm going out on a limb, but a "tolerant", partner might be like a firecracker with a fuse of unknown length ... the more tolerant ... maybe the bigger the bang.

The idea of being tolerant, cries for termination ... either of your dream of full-time sailing(let's get a house), or for complete acceptance of your dream(your dream actually becomes her dream).

warning ... warning ... warning ... Will Smith ... the most "tolerant" of us, can, in an instant, become the most intolerant ... instantly, and with no real warning ...

Maybe, for your sanity, you should just buy a house on a beach and get a MacGregor 26
From a womans perspective, all thus stuff about "men and women want different things" is just nonsense. Men has made tbe rules for millenia. Some women like the old rules, they are "comfortable" with the devil they know. True, not all women want to go aventuring. But this is true for men as well.
But the sexes are more alike than different.
__________________
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:03   #10
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,137
Re: Sailors Anonymous

I wasn't about the boat really.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:08   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,106
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Hello, my name is Don, and I am a sailor.
Does this mean you have taken the first step?
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 07:25   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,546
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Sailors Anonymous

there are more boats for sale here in mazatlan due to this issue--he sails her to mazatlan, she hates it they sell boat because she says me or boat, and his lil head says omygodsiwontevergetlaidagain, instead of --oh you dont share my dream? ok....
and so it goes..onward ever onward. choose better next time.
actually, these embarrassing moments are interesting to watch. unfortunately, usually, they are at the dock after a few drinks and it should be most embarrassing to both of em.
next time, vet your potential mate a little better-- let the thinking head do the work this time.
there are many females out here who actually ENJOY this lifestyle.
ye might seek one of them,instead of the babe in the hot (dress) at your favorite bar-coffee, juice or otherwise.
.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 07:50   #13
Registered User
 
m2244's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vermont
Boat: TBD
Posts: 140
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'm single, too!! Post a picture!

....of the boat
This forum should have a "lol" feature.
__________________
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 07:53   #14
Registered User
 
m2244's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vermont
Boat: TBD
Posts: 140
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
dont drink, dont smoke, dont do drugs, dont gamble, dont eat too much, but I cant give up the boat. "It's me or the boat" she said; so now I'm single as well. I wake in the night and my dreams are of slapping halyards and heaving seas. Is there no hope for me?
Good luck sorting it all out. Such is life.
__________________
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 08:07   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 194
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Should be interesting down the road to see what she settles for. That lady is in for a rude awakening most likely.

If somebody cares about you, they don't give you ultimatums. The hardest part is accepting the realization that they don't care any more. Good choice on your part!
__________________

__________________
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stoked To Be Here And Meet Other Like Minded Sailors, Especially Female Sailors. chicasurfer Meets & Greets 15 02-12-2016 15:47
Alcoholics Anonymous and the Sailing World markmark Off Topic Forum 13 28-10-2013 08:38
Alcoholics Anonymous & Cruisers virginia boy Meets & Greets 31 18-06-2011 08:43


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.