Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 09:31   #1

Sailing from Amelia Island, FL to Cozumel

I am planning a trip from Amilia Isand FL. to Cozumel and was wondering what the approx. travel time might be in an islander 36? Any help would be great! I am planning to sail as much as possible with minimal stops. Not interested in docking up anywhere except when I get to Cozumel. Are there anchorages along the way or do I need to dock up in a port to rest? I will be carrying extra fuel and provisions. Just want to get a rough idea of about how long of a trip this might be and would there be any difficulties in traveling this route?
manoverboard52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Sailing from Amilia Island FL. to Cozumel

I'm a bit confused by your request. Four days ago you posted asking how long it would take to go from Cozumel to Amelia Island. Now you are already on the way back?

If you really intend to make a trip like this you should be able to take a chart, measure the distance, decide which and how many legs you want to sail between stops, you certainly know your boat speed. Now add it all up.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:15   #3

Re: Sailing from Amelia Island, FL to Cozumel

As in my rely to my first post, I said that in all the excitement of getting my new boat, I forgot which way I was going. I decided to re post with the correct route I want to travel. I haven't sailed in several years and this will be my first long cruise. I know I can do the calculations but was hoping that maybe someone out there could give me "friendly" advice on my voyage.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:27   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Friendly advice would be to take someone along with enough experience to do the voyage safely.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 11:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoverboard52 View Post
As in my rely to my first post, I said that in all the excitement of getting my new boat, I forgot which way I was going. I decided to re post with the correct route I want to travel. I haven't sailed in several years and this will be my first long cruise. I know I can do the calculations but was hoping that maybe someone out there could give me "friendly" advice on my voyage.
My advise was not intended to be unfriendly but a tactful way to express my concern over your question. The trip you are contemplating I would categorized as an intermediate level voyage but unless I completely misunderstand your question and wording, what you ask is pretty much a starter level question. I was trying to politely imply that if you have to ask such a basic question perhaps you should first ask if you are ready for the trip.

You say you can do the calculations but you did specifically ask to get a rough idea of how long the trip might take, which is what the calculations would give you. Other than calculating the distance to go vs the speed of your boat, it completely depends on you, your skills, your crew (you don't mention if you will have crew or not?), your preferences (do you want to sight see on the way, stop every night, make an easy, relaxed trip or bust your butt to get there as fast as possible?), and a big adjustment for the time of year and weather.

Based on your answers to all the above a week to a month or more.

Maybe I did misunderstand your question. Maybe you meant to ask "What are the best places to stop on the way? Do you have a favorite spot to anchor in Miami? Where is the cheapest place to fuel up in Key West?"
Old 19-07-2011, 12:08   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Since you are starting in Amelia Island, Fl you should be able to get down to Miami in a week either using the ICW or some overnighters running outside along the coast. Figure about 40 to 50 nm per day if you stay in the ICW and do 6 kts or so. The advantage of going "outside" is being able to continue running day and night so your distance per day jumps to 100 nm or more. But not every day can you go outside, so you do the ICW on bad weather days.
- - From Miami to Key West is probably another 3 or 4 days as you really need to do it during the daytime heading south so you don't hit something and incur mega-fines from the marine police/park officials.
- - Then from Key West to the Dry Tortugas is a heavy push to do in one daytime shot, so a couple of days there.
- - There are multiple routes from Florida to Mexico (Cozumel or Isla Mujeres). One is to cross south from the Dry Tortugas and run 15nm off the Cuban coastline to Cabo San Antonio then take a westward shot across the Yucatan Channel. This is the shortest mile wise but you are pushing against the currents. You are looking at close to 400 nm so depending upon your boat speed over the ground it could be 4 days or more at sea.
- - Another is to play the currents in the Gulf of Mexico and run due west north of the main current taking advantage of a "loop current" that will help push you westward. And then south to the Yucatan and Isla Mujeres and/or Cozumel. This route is not used too often as access to current loop current information is not easy.
- - Finally, the "long way around" is to follow the US Gulf of Mexico shoreline to Texas and Mexico and then to the Yucatan and around. Probably the "safest" route weather wise as you are running coastlines with places to duck inside in bad conditions.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:56   #7

Thank you guy's. That's kind of the info I was looking for. Maybe a little more info about my situation may be helpful. I am an American currently living in Cozumel. I just purchased the I-36 and need to get up there and sail her back down to Cozumel. I've had some experience sailing a C&C 25 some years ago back in Chicago on lake Michigan. Always single handed. Been out in a few sticky situations out there and managed to handle it. I have had many different boats over the years but I admit most were power boats and only 1 sailboat (the C&C) before this one. Have always wanted to get anothe sailboat ever since! I have been out on Lake Michigan many times over the years in some pretty ugly stuff in both types of boats. I feel confident in my ability to do this journey single handed but I would also appreciate any and all input that may be helpful before I get started. Looking to depart on or about the 1st of August. I know this may not be the best time to be at sea due to the potential of bad weather but need to get the boat down here. Thanks in advance for any additional help that can be offered.
Old 19-07-2011, 16:12   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

August is probably about the worst month, except for September, October and the first week of November, in the western Caribbean basin to be out sailing without someplace to hide close by.
- - The "need to get the boat down here . . ." is just begging for Mother Nature to whack you.
- - Then again young folk are immortal, or so they think, so go for it. However, you might consider the "long way around" to get there and move the boat in increments when you get time off if you are more conservative.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 16:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You should seriously consider the advise from Osirissail. Getting locked into a schedule is a good way to get yourself in a jam. Decisions on when to go or not should be based on soley on safety. Trying to meet a time table it is just too easy to influence your judgement.

Add that to leaving just before the peak of hurricane season sounds like a high risk for a bad time, to put it politely.
Old 19-07-2011, 22:17   #10

Thanks again for the input guy's. Great to get different perspectives on the picture. As for my departure date, it isn't cast in stone just the latest date I would consider doing this (the increased risk of going any later doesn't appeal to me either). There was a time when I may have considered myself immortal but those times have long since past along with the younger years. As for my need to get back down here, well just figured that going any later would definitely not be a good idea. I was in Cozumel when Wilma hit in Oct. 2005 (hit the island as a cat 4 and just stayed there for almost 3 days). So I have a pretty good idea of what these things can do. Definitely would not have wanted to be at sea during something like that! Anyway, going the long way around might be the best bet. Like I said the days of feeling immortal are long gone!
Old 21-07-2011, 07:52   #11

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190

You've gotten some good advice, please follow it. (not meant in an unfriendly way-just don't want a tropical depression to drive you onto the Texas coast from 1/2 way to your destination.) I've seen as many as 5 depressions running randomly around the Gulf at the same time and have friends that lost their well found and weatherly boat in this manner. Best of luck to you. Don't play it safe; play it smart.
Jonathan Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:42   #12

Thank you. Any and all advice regarding my planned voyage is greatly appreciated. I really would like to make this run. Of course safety is of upmost importance!

Tags
sailing