Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 14:29   #226
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No Brent to suggest that any numbers of people could escape say a world war or whatever is naive. Simply leaving and running away is hardly a solution. Equally boats are not self sustaining. You need access to food water, technology repair facilities even sail makers etc. Boats today are just as much a function of western technology as anything else. We are allowed such freedoms because we are rich. Remove our trappings of civilisation and wealth and I don't think boats are the answer

Dave
I haven't heard of a war yet where one couldn't escape to another country by boat, in a war, plague, natural disaster, etc. Water falls from the sky , rivers, or in the short term can be made with a watermaker. It is not manufactured in factories, by BP. Boats were sailing for milleniums, long before modern technology. I have rarely used any repair facilities I didn't have on board, and I just retired a mainsail I bought in 1980 for $100. It took me across the Pacific many times. What I have on board will last me another 20 or 30 years.
Vancouver Island has only three days worth of groceries in supermarkets and stores , if the transportation network breaks down. I have a years supply aboard, and the means to gather and preserve many more years supply from the land, anytime, for as long as needed.
We are not all super dependent urbanite consumers. . .
Old 13-01-2011, 14:55   #227

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I think goboatingnow and BrentSwain are both right but in two different scenarios.
- - It was pointed out early in this thread that an awful lot of the world is dependent economically in the 2 or 3 "powerhouse" economies and as the recent financial collapse clearly demonstrated. The ripples of major problems in only one "powerhouse" can cascade down through hundreds of other countries. The Caribbean is one useful example. Food is almost all imported and jobs are almost all dependent upon tourism from the major powerhouse countries. There are a few exceptions like Dominica and St Vincent and probably the D.R., but in the most part collapse of the economy in a major powerhouse causes significant havoc in many smaller countries.
- - Should a major political cataclysm occur being on a cruising boat still inside the areas of the "economic fallout" zone might not be much use but only delay the eventual effects reaching you.
- - On the other hand, in a more physically orientated disaster where war, and civil order collapses then being on a cruising sailboat able to journey as far as practical from the epicenter would be an excellent idea. Of course, the type/style of boat would play a significant factor. Being able to operate and cruise the boat without the requirement of 1st world technology/supplies would make a significant difference.
- - It is interesting that in almost all of the "end of the world" movies out of Hollywood - the end of the world only involves North America and sometimes Europe. The rest of the planet doesn't exist. But throughout real history such places have survived quite fine. Mainly because they had nothing to lose if the powerhouses collapsed or destroyed themselves. Getting to one of these places would be the objective with your sailboat.
Old 13-01-2011, 15:13   #228
cruiser

The easiest way to make yourself more immune from the vagaries of the economy, is to make money less relevant in your life.
Old 13-01-2011, 15:16   #229
Armchair Bucketeer

Also got to remember that when "your" powerhouse ceases to be of value to the locals abroad that you ain't gonna be so welcome - apart from as a resource, to be harvested.
Old 14-01-2011, 05:28   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Computer models are nice but Mother Nature has rarely if ever paid any attention to them. She does what she wants to do and is also infinitely more complex than any computer model can ever be.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - Although "end of the world" scenarios caused by global/weather shifts were covered nicely in the old thread of apparent Plankton loss, et.al.
Yes - this methane business has a simple solution - mine the methane and burn it for power generation. That'll sort out our energy needs for the next 10,000 years, get rid of a natural hazard and warm the planet up some.

Win win win....
Old 14-01-2011, 06:22   #231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Yes - this methane business has a simple solution - mine the methane and burn it for power generation. That'll sort out our energy needs for the next 10,000 years, get rid of a natural hazard and warm the planet up some. Win win win....
Except the really big suplies of Methane are sat in 20km of deep mud under the Russian sector of the Arctic, so in the hands of President Putin and look what happened to the Ukraine when Moscow switched off the supply of gas a couple of years ago they capitulated and paid the 25% increase in cost. England could become a gulag and we all walk around wearing fur coats looking like Elton John

What has suprised me is the boats in Queensland this week. Surely an ideal situation for bailing out of the city and on to a yacht for a fortnight. Closer to home we have seen 40,000 homes in Northern Ireland without water for a fortnight as frozen pipes burst and reserviors completely empty. Its 12 miles from Ireland to Scotland at the closest point easily achieveable.

Pete
Old 14-01-2011, 06:29   #232
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate And now the animals fight back

Fox shoots man - Yahoo! News UK

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 14-01-2011, 06:41   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Except the really big suplies of Methane are sat in 20km of deep mud under the Russian sector of the Arctic,
There's plenty elsewhere too, that's just the biggest.

Quote:
... so in the hands of President Putin and look what happened to the Ukraine when Moscow switched off the supply of gas a couple of years ago they capitulated and paid the 25% increase in cost. England could become a gulag and we all walk around wearing fur coats looking like Elton John
If we buy enough gas do we get a free baby?

Quote:
What has suprised me is the boats in Queensland this week. Surely an ideal situation for bailing out of the city and on to a yacht for a fortnight.
Yes - there's something mildly odd about boats not being able to cope with extra water. I appreciate that there was more to it than that, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quote:
Closer to home we have seen 40,000 homes in Northern Ireland without water for a fortnight as frozen pipes burst and reserviors completely empty. Its 12 miles from Ireland to Scotland at the closest point easily achieveable.
My mother was lucky and escaped all that. There is a gas pipe from Scotland to Ireland but water has never been a priority since in Ireland it rains *so* much that the irish have paler skin than anyone else on Earth.
Old 14-01-2011, 06:42   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Good for the fox - but it's merely a sign of increasing end-of-the-world anarchy.
Old 14-01-2011, 15:09   #235

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
. . . Yes - this methane business has a simple solution - mine the methane and burn it for power generation. . . .
Great idea especially since one of the larger sources of methane entering the atmosphere comes from the south end of a north bound cow. I want to see how they insert the hoses and pipes into the millions of such beasts to "mine" the methane. . .
Old 14-01-2011, 15:46   #236
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I can think of a lot worse things to have in a disaster scenario were I a survivor... what would you choose.. and why....

answer---mine
why-- i like it.
rofl.

as for methane--folks(oops--was sexist soi had to change it....) drinking a lot of beer and eating beans make just as much as cows-- why not request their aid? they could figger out how to harness it--
Old 14-01-2011, 21:50   #237
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Methane......?? shoot thats easy.... just plug in the hose n recycle....
OI....!! Pass the beer and beans mate.......

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 14-01-2011, 22:07   #238
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Except the really big suplies of Methane are sat in 20km of deep mud under the Russian sector of the Arctic, so in the hands of President Putin and look what happened to the Ukraine when Moscow switched off the supply of gas a couple of years ago they capitulated and paid the 25% increase in cost. England could become a gulag and we all walk around wearing fur coats looking like Elton John

What has suprised me is the boats in Queensland this week. Surely an ideal situation for bailing out of the city and on to a yacht for a fortnight. Closer to home we have seen 40,000 homes in Northern Ireland without water for a fortnight as frozen pipes burst and reserviors completely empty. Its 12 miles from Ireland to Scotland at the closest point easily achieveable.

Pete
Check out Putin signs deal with BP.... well ahead of ya mate...LOL

Old 07-04-2011, 09:56   #239

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
SHTF/WROL Situation

Does anyone have ideas about living on a sailboat in a SHTF/WROL situation?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18   #240
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: SHTF/WROL situation

Yeah, I am going to Maryland.
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat