Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 17:14   #151

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
And so why aren't the moderators keen on nonsensical posts like this? Perhaps this should be posted in the humor section. I know that the moderators here are watching out for posts that are not related to the subject, so I am just curious as to why responses and posts like this seem to get by and the posters aren't required to move them to the humor section, as I have been asked to do.
Humor is a subjective topic and I guess the mods did not find the post funny enough.
Old 01-11-2010, 17:45   #152
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
awwww, geeee--do we HAVE to go to the funny bone room???/ is more funner to mix fun with pleasure... i mean... you know what i mean!! besides boat work is soooooo agravating with weak hands, i HAVE to make fun in serious places.
Old 02-11-2010, 15:29   #153

Boat: Alberg 22, Hampton (Cedar on mahogany)
Rome, Easter Island, Pitcairn Polynesians, Anasazis, Mayans, Mesopotamia, Hittites, Minoans, Mycenaeans, The Olmec, Hohokam, etc. . .

I'm sure there was someone in each of these societies that could see the end coming. I guess nobody listened to them either.

Most cultures in human history have come... and gone. Lots of very ordinary reasons why: Deforestation, loss of soil fertility, insufficient clean water, over hunting/fishing, overpopulation, etc. These problems didn't have to actually kill everyone, just destabilize the system long enough, (with a little panic) until people lost their interconnections. Then, without the protective benefits of their collective, the remnants were killed off by the strongest, most desperate, and poof! No more civilization.

Happens all the time.

Somalia, Chad, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Congo, Afghanistan, Iraq, Guinea, Pakistan, Haiti, Côte d'Ivoire, Kenya, Nigeria, Yemen, Burma, Ethiopia, North Korea, Niger, etc.
Old 02-11-2010, 16:45   #154

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todomi View Post
and poof! No more civilization.

Happens all the time.

Yep.
Old 27-12-2010, 20:22   #155

I love this thread lol!!!

It seems to me that to survive any SHTF scenario, a person needs to be ready to survive the three separate stages of such a scenario. And, this includes an immediate danger such as a nuclear, biological or alien attack or earthquake or volcano. Or, something a bit slower like a financial collapse, political shift, or global warming and very slow zombies.

All of these scenarios brings one thing: a shift in power from one form of government to the other. The trick is survivng the shifts in power.

The three stages of survival (as I see it) are as follows:

Immediate (Time Frame: 1-48 hours): In any dangerous and life-threatening scenario, one needs to immediately secure the safety of his/her person, family, and as mentioned in another thread, a nubile young breeding stock. Since this thread started by discussing a "bug-out boat", this scenario would mean to get from home to the boat as quickly and safely as possible and head for blue water. If you're a liveaboard, cheers!

Short-Term (Time Frame: 30-60 days): I figure that with any shift in power, the amount of time that most people will have to survive will be approximately 30-60 days. These are people without any food/water supply and must scavenge for food in the days after a disaster hits. This is by far the most critical time period. While this is happening on land, a person on a boat with their food supply could be sailing lazy circles a hundred miles offshore while eating mahi mahi and drinking desalinated water.

Long-Term (Time Frame 60+ days): No one can live on a boat forever or should unless it's a really, really big ship. This is a critical time as well because the boater needs to listen for radio message to gauge the political atmosphere. (e.g. Do I return to my marina where I was before or do I find a nice island in the Marquesas to repopulate the species).

In any event, I want to be on Will Smith's boat.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:16   #156

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You need to shift some parts of Global Warming to the Immediate list. There is a huge, really huge, ice sheet up on a hill in Antarctica that has a propensity to slide off the hill every few millennia or so. When it does the world sea level can rise up to 30 meters in a week.
- - Better add some more chain to your anchor rode supply.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:42   #157
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

You guys are all screwed... your assuming man made disasters like global warming, economic breakdown or nuclear war...
The real threat is Earth Shift.... the early signs are here... increased wobble at the Pole's now upto 14 - 19 degrees... look back at maps (theoretical) of previous ages and wipeouts of life allegedly dominant at the time.
As the bulk of the land mass floats further Nth it starts to destabalise the rotation... a bit like a spinning top.. as the weight increases the wobble gets larger until it falls over... begining a new age with land masses greatly repositioned on the global chart
In the act of 'falling' it creates/refreshes momentum and with the 'balance retored... ie the bulk of the land mass moved to our current Sth the rotation is restored and the cycle resumes with land masses gradualy over the millenia floating Nthward through natural laws....
So forget Charts, Compasses, GPS etc... they're useless... well maybe not the Compass... it'll tell you where the new Nth is... for whatever thats worth....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:07   #158

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
So does anyone know of a program out there that will recalculate the data for good old celestial navigation via sextant and time piece based on some final resting position?

Also, in the event of a rapid rise in sea level 30 meters over 7 days, you won't necessarily need more chain or rode, you simply need to move in towards land, as the water rises, head for higher ground ( submerged ground of course).

The addition of a good forward/side scan sonar would be good.

Although I think I would head offshore as far as possible. Considering that all the major refineries and chemical complexes, not to mention gas station storage tanks etc... that are within that 30 meters range of sea level will create a toxic soup that I do not want to be anywhere near.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:29   #159
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnaw2000 View Post

It seems to me that to survive any SHTF scenario, a person needs to be ready to survive the three separate stages of such a scenario. And, this includes an immediate danger such as a nuclear, biological or alien attack or earthquake or volcano. Or, something a bit slower like a financial collapse, political shift, or global warming and very slow zombies.

All of these scenarios brings one thing: a shift in power from one form of government to the other. The trick is survivng the shifts in power.

Immediate (Time Frame: 1-48 hours): In any dangerous and life-threatening scenario, one needs to immediately secure the safety of his/her person, family, and as mentioned in another thread, a nubile young breeding stock. Since this thread started by discussing a "bug-out boat", this scenario would mean to get from home to the boat as quickly and safely as possible and head for blue water. If you're a liveaboard, cheers!

Short-Term (Time Frame: 30-60 days): I figure that with any shift in power, the amount of time that most people will have to survive will be approximately 30-60 days. These are people without any food/water supply and must scavenge for food in the days after a disaster hits. This is by far the most critical time period. While this is happening on land, a person on a boat with their food supply could be sailing lazy circles a hundred miles offshore while eating mahi mahi and drinking desalinated water.

Long-Term (Time Frame 60+ days): No one can live on a boat forever or should unless it's a really, really big ship. This is a critical time as well because the boater needs to listen for radio message to gauge the political atmosphere. (e.g. Do I return to my marina where I was before or do I find a nice island in the Marquesas to repopulate the species).

I think this should be made a sticky post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:42   #160
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnaw2000 View Post

HoHum.... another short trip coastal cruiser... stay close to the home Port....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 28-12-2010, 11:24   #161

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
There is a huge, really huge, ice sheet up on a hill in Antarctica that has a propensity to slide off the hill every few millennia or so. When it does the world sea level can rise up to 30 meters in a week.
- - Better add some more chain to your anchor rode supply.
There is another closer to home. La Palma in the Canary Islands has a large lump of rock on the side of a volcano that is moving. If it goes the tidal wave will reach the US Eastern Seaboard in about 6 hours and Europe a couple of hours later.

Scientists Warn Of Massive Tidal Wave From Canary Island Volcano

The good news is there is some doubt about what will happen, but the worst case scenario will be life changing. What would happen if the whole of the US seaboard and most of the western european port cities were taken out in a couple of hours

Pete
Old 28-12-2010, 11:44   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There is another closer to home....
No criticism of you Pete, but on that link it says

Quote:
A computer model has been designed...

Ha!
Quote:
....to show the way the tsunami will build after the volcano, called Cumbre Vieja, erupts on La Palma, at the western end of the Spanish island chain.
Hmmmm.... computer models..... I could design one (being a programmer) that could show how to levitate or make time run backwards. But it's only a model. Many of us think that computer models represent reality but they don't, any more than a child's drawing of a house represents an architect's plan.

The media in particular seems to swallow computer models as certain reality, but most models are usually rubbish outside of very narrowly defined limits and ALL models massively simplify effects and neglect critical factors so that they can focus on the narrow range for which they are valid.

I'm not worried about the tsumani. It is as likely to be 3 inches high as 300 feet high.
Old 28-12-2010, 12:06   #163

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Very true, but what is also true is the crack in the side of a volcanic mountain which is getting wider because the lower half of the mountain is moving downwards.

Whilst you're here, what was your experience of the fuel tankers strike in 2000. Unfortunately I was rather busy serving in Belfast at the time so only know what the papers reported.

However, within 7 days, 90% of petrol stations had run out and panic buying had set in at supermarkets with staple foods running out.

This in a modern western country

Pete
Old 28-12-2010, 12:42   #164

There is a limited but good (and irrefutable) record of the location and orientation of Earth's magnetic North Pole in the basalt of the ocean floor spreading out from the mid-ocean ridges. The record is lost as the ocean floor is subducted, but we still have proof that the magnetic North Pole flips ~180 degrees every 10,000 years or so. Although there are some theories, we don't know why this happens or what sets it off.

Since magnetic north wobbles, maybe Earth's iron core acts like a top or gyroscope and at some point wobbles too much and "loses its balance" and flips 180 degrees. Nobody knows for sure, but the magnetic flip from North as we know it to South is about 2000 years overdue.

Yes the continents are bunched up in the northern hemisphere, but the rock that continents are made of is less massive than the rock that the ocean floor is made of so the mass of the continents and their location on Earth is rather irrelevant - kinda like an ice cube in a glass of water.

When the magnetic north pole flips all the stars will have the same orientation to Earth since the MAGNETIC POLES flip, not Earth, and using the North Star (or southern equivalent) you can do a simple calculation to use your compass to find the new magnetic "north", and your location with your charts. Sextants do not rely on magnetic north. If Earth wobbles with the flip of the magnetic poles then the stars will "move" relative to earth, but there is so much mass involved that we won't notice it for a while and Earth's asymmetry would likely cause it to assume its current rotational equilibrium in a few thousand years.

If a magnetic shift happens during human's period of electronic gizmos, for sailors sextants and wind vanes will continue to work as they always have. People who rely on GPS, chart plotters and Auto Pilots will have an 'interesting' time of it.
Old 28-12-2010, 12:54   #165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You guys are all screwed... your assuming man made disasters like global warming, economic breakdown or nuclear war...
The real threat is Earth Shift.... the early signs are here... increased wobble at the Pole's now upto 14 - 19 degrees... look back at maps (theoretical) of previous ages and wipeouts of life allegedly dominant at the time.
Boatman, I really would suggest this hypothesis is one that is New Age driven. Here is a Wikipedia article (with references at the bottom) of why POLE shift is really a non-starter.

IF you are referring to the magnetic pole moving, that happens all the time.

The two are not the same.
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat