Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 06:31   #106

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
when the going gets tough...

You gotta" QUACK and PADDLE." Can't just sit their relying on being lucky...
Old 14-10-2010, 07:03   #107

This is an interesting topic. I know a guy who just bought a boat for this very reason. He investigated sails in the Caribbean but then settled on a powercruiser in the Seattle area. Interestingly, his descision was partly based on sails being harder to maintain, and a cruiser being more survivalist worthy. He works in the industry too, so he is not making a blue moon descision.

In my opinion a nice sailboat would be better. But I'm at the age now where I don't really care to survive world caos. I'm kinda picturing living on my sailboat in the South Pacific and being unaware of world events, just spending my days drinking cocoanut milk, and catching a fish for dinner.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:03   #108

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Zopi - - You gotta keep up - you are probably spending too much time out sailing and relaxing and getting away from the wacko's on shore.
As to gold ownership in the USA -
"Gold ownership was illegal in the USA from 1933 to 1975"
- - I was in the gold business while it was within the "prohibited" years and possessed a US Treasury Gold License to hold and sell gold for jewelry making purposes. In 1975 the prohibition was abolished and since then you can now stack gold bullion in your basement to your heart's content. Although more appropriate to CF maybe is to replace your keel's lead with gold as a place to store it.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:20   #109

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Zopi - - You gotta keep up - you are probably spending too much time out sailing and relaxing and getting away from the wacko's on shore.
As to gold ownership in the USA -
"Gold ownership was illegal in the USA from 1933 to 1975"
- - I was in the gold business while it was within the "prohibited" years and possessed a US Treasury Gold License to hold and sell gold for jewelry making purposes. In 1975 the prohibition was abolished and since then you can now stack gold bullion in your basement to your heart's content. Although more appropriate to CF maybe is to replace your keel's lead with gold as a place to store it.
In that case at least you would have the advantage of the keel never rusting!

I actually gave some thought to this issue. It seems like the two primary requirements of a "bug out boat" (or BOB, for short) are seaworthiness and maintainability. Seaworthiness to escape to wherever one is expecting to be safe, which might be far away. If nothing is safe, your pretty much equally screwed on the sea as on the land.

With maintainability, I would argue that a key feature of any BOB is beachability. If bugging out, boatyards are unlikely to be available. Therefore it should be a twin keel or catamaran that can be worked on in a tidal range. As for hull material, it's a tossup between fiberglass and wood, since fiberglass has high endurance but wood is always available.

Sail is definitely preferable over power. It's a lot easier to find a sewing machine than a machine shop.......

Just my $0.10. I clearly have thought about this too much.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:38   #110

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My GF Cat is thirty years old with no repairs required to the hulls. It's things like rudder mounts, props, ladders and all things metal that will cause the problems.
A good 'Book of Old Fashioned Making Things the Old Way' seems all that's needed to pass on a sailing grp cat to the next generation. They'll have time to learn to make a proper Proa by the time it's needed.
"If Not Duffers - Wont Drown"
Old 14-10-2010, 07:48   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
Sail is definitely preferable over power. It's a lot easier to find a sewing machine than a machine shop.......

Just my $0.10. I clearly have thought about this too much.
LOL.... and a sailmakers palm, needles and thread is easier to carry and allways useable... unless you've broken your arms

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 14-10-2010, 09:13   #112

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Aha!! A chance to share one of my favorite quote of all time.

"When the sh*t hits the fan, it is not distributed evenly."
Old 14-10-2010, 14:41   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
We ended up with steel for durability and because we have family connections in Newfoundland. Up there the lumpy stuff can float.

I'm not sure what would be the most durable material in the long run. But two weeks ago I hit a 'piling' at a depth of 5 to 6 feet at just under 6 knots. No damage, except to my ego.

Also damaging to my ego was my unplanned careening. At least I now know that she can lay on her side and dry out and reright OK. Sheesh.
Old 14-10-2010, 14:59   #114

Boat: S2 11.0 36 FT
The zombie handbook next to the head has taught me that zombies, being sub-human cannot swim. -A boat is THE ideal means of escape and survival, just be sure you can get to the boat before being bitten and infected. Zipline anybody? Also, remember that blades don't need reloading. (-title of Ch. 8 haha..)

This is my first contribution to this forum. :0
Old 15-10-2010, 07:40   #115

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
A world wide disaster is improbable, but not impossible. A local disaster is a common worldwide occurance. Having a boat is a great way to move out of disaster area when most other forms of transportation is either overloaded or non functional. Yes it is a big consideration.
Old 15-10-2010, 09:06   #116
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileestma View Post
zombies, being sub-human cannot swim.

This is my first contribution to this forum. :0

Having read the Internet I have discovered that zombies are more undead than sub-human. Being undead means, I think, their lungs don't need to function with air. So, being unexpanded of lung, the zombie (unless he had water wings) would sink. Some Hollywood film (so it must be true) had them walking across the bottom of the sea/ocean/pond etc.

Its good you have joined as there are some zombies on this forum that need routing out.
Perhaps you can advise on text based garlic water and other sure-fire remedies?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 15-10-2010, 09:38   #117

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Having spent considerable time in western Europe, eating garlic was a defensive strategy in order to spend any time near to the natives.

- - capn_billl "World wide disaster is improbable, but not impossible. A local disaster is a common worldwide occurance. Having a boat is a great way to move out of disaster area when most other forms of transportation is either overloaded or non functional. Yes it is a big consideration"

Is probably the most salient reason for having a sailing vessel ready to go. If the current political situation in the USA explodes into civil war as some predict (and other don't) being able to get "out of Dodge" quickly to a more sane and civil part of the world would be nice. And a sailboat would be an excellent way to combine sanity with safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1993-05-22.gif
Views:	115
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	20163  
Old 15-10-2010, 09:51   #118

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Actually, I'm looking forward to escaping this country to "less civilized" places where I can meet natives that still know how to live.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:18   #119
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Had some friends who bought a real armageddon boat from a religious sect.

I wrote it up in some past thread so I will copy/paste it for you'se
Quote:
We met some cool people who couldn’t sail prior to cruising but were asking similar questions.
They bought this huge boat off a weirdo religious sect who were going to save a few people during Armageddon to repopulate the world ---- I kid you not!

The boat is SENSATIONAL!!!!!! 2 inch thick solid fibreglass EVERYWHERE! All steel wire rope is 3 or 4 sizes larger than necessary. Below there are all these labelled storage bins: Nuts 100kgs, UHT Milk 108 litres, etc etc all through the boat. These huge (and I mean HUGE) draws slid out right across the salon 10 foot long with space for provisions.

To say that a family could survive on here for 5 years was an understatement… it was DESIGNED for food for 5 years!

And of course designed to be tossed in Gods Wrath of post apocalyptic oceans for those 5 years.

Blue water? This boat reeked BLUE WATER! The spinnaker poles could be street side light poles, the masts (ketch, of course) were like rain forest trees.
We never saw the sails but they were probably built of steel coated Dacron.

Every instrument had multiple back ups. I think there were 2 generators, 3+ GPS, lots of everything including 4,000 litres of fuel and 2,000 litres of water (and water maker)

A storm could hit this boat and it would be impervious. Unsinkable. Unmovable.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrgh! There she be! Unmovable.

Unmovable.

Expensive, unmanageable, unmaintainable and unmovable.

20 knots up the Kyber Pass and still the boat won't go!

The people who own this boat and really nice folks. And are doing really well with it, and are very happy with their boat, as so they should be. I’m just using them as an example.
The religious sect sold it, not because they think the world is redeemed... they still think we're gunna die by gods wrath, but they worked out that the sea is about the worst place to be!! A few well placed volcanoes to toast the water right up to boiling etc. So they sold the boat and bought a block of land in the most geologicaly secure area of the world. the center of Australia. And thats where they now live laughing at you sinners.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 15-10-2010, 11:27   #120
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Coincidentally, Mad Max showed up on our TV yesterday. I don't think a scenario of huge civil unrest and rioting is so unlikely. In fact, I remember seeing such things on the news not so long ago. More recently in America, but also in the UK.

I have a friend who's just returned to New York - and he keeps a Grab Bag by his door. Paranoid? Maybe. He thinks so, but he doesn't really care!

If this country hit the ****, I'd probably sail out. Hell, last time people drove out and had to lift their cars over oil pipes in the desert. I'd rather be on my boat (and after next week, hopefully we'll even have a watermaker too!)
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat