Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2010, 16:28   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Speaking of religious groups and ships, we were on this boat last summer.

Quite impressive. They seemed happy enough.

Interestingly enough the 12 Tribes group did NOT proselytize and I see nary a mention on the ships web site.

Peacemaker Marine

Peacemaker (ship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 17-10-2010, 12:23   #122

ya know, not to be melodramatic but i have never felt like a "citizen", and if it ever does hit the fan, i know where i'll be... i dont feel like i "belong" anywhere but rather have an unusual desire to see and experience it all
Old 17-10-2010, 13:17   #123
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
when the sh&*%& hits the fan, isnt the BOAT but the SAILOR that makes the difference.
Old 17-10-2010, 14:44   #124

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
ya know, not to be melodramatic but i have never felt like a "citizen", and if it ever does hit the fan, i know where i'll be... i dont feel like i "belong" anywhere but rather have an unusual desire to see and experience it all
You don't have much of a say in the citizen thing, kind of determined by where your were born which is something else you didn't have much say in.
But, second part is known as "wanderlust" - you really don't like staying put in one place too long. Which is a very common trait of full time cruisers and world explorers. Nothing unusual with that as they are tons of folks with the same feeling.
However you need to use the "citizen-thing" to enable you to do the second thing - travel. So it is useful and handy to have especially if from a major western country.
Old 17-10-2010, 14:52   #125

citizen of ANY country is all good-- not discrimminatory--we are all citizens of the world and the politicians would love to curb that-- lol-- but.........they may try to curb the wandering, but they cannot cure the wanderlust........
Old 17-10-2010, 15:07   #126

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Without getting into the political, spiritual, or whatever belief system you have that may have brought you to your decision, has anyone here made the decision to buy a boat based on the possibility that our society may be headed down the tubes? Or perhaps you have outfitted your boat for a "just in case" scenario?

We always keep several hundred pounds of dried and canned goods aboard. Anyone else do this?

Tom
Fifteen years ago when I lived in Seattle, there was a storm that knocked power out on the Samamish Plateau for a week or so during the winter. I had an acquaintance who was miserable for a day or so then he and the wife put their heads together, decided to get the generator off their power boat to crank up a small space heater, get a little light, and cook food. At the last minute they realized it would be easier to leave the generator where it was and move onto the boat with it's own heater and propane stove and appliances.

That has been my philosophy ever since. Keep the boat stocked for land emergencies. Never know what form they might take or how long you will want to be on the boat of a sudden.
Old 17-10-2010, 15:10   #127

i keep a month 's worth of foodstuffs in my boat, at minimum. i have known since way back in the 1960s we were in trouble--
Old 17-10-2010, 16:42   #128

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Although more appropriate to CF maybe is to replace your keel's lead with gold as a place to store it.
Old 17-10-2010, 16:46   #129

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If the current political situation in the USA explodes into civil war as some predict (and other don't) being able to get "out of Dodge" quickly to a more sane and civil part of the world would be nice.

Yep.
Boat is ready (floating).
I can be to Texas in a few days to a week or so.
Old 17-10-2010, 16:49   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Actually, I'm looking forward to escaping this country to "less civilized" places where I can meet natives that still know how to live.
And all those places are re-supplied by the "civilized" places.

Wait till you are there and the supply boat does not come.

You will find just how civilized they are then. Would they be thinking "Us or them?". Yep. And you are a "them".
Old 17-10-2010, 16:54   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i keep a month 's worth of foodstuffs in my boat, at minimum. i have known since way back in the 1960s we were in trouble--

You too huh?

Hmmm.
Old 17-10-2010, 17:27   #132

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Wow – I thought this was going to be another of those which boat to survive a perfect storm type questions. Instead it is right to the point of my inner beliefs about society and why I would rather be on the ocean or in the wilderness. I knew there must be others out there with a similar philosophy. Not that I haven’t had a decent go at being part of the landlubber community; more like I don’t ever think I will be able to fit into suburbia due the fact the place causes me serious post traumatic episodes.

My boat is my survival capsule and I warn that I am well versed in zombie warfare!
Old 17-10-2010, 17:40   #133

but, therapy, i think even teejass may be unsafe at that point, even with 10 guns per capita..

problemis, back then, i WROTE about my thoughts-- lemme outta here..LOL!!!
Old 18-10-2010, 05:23   #134

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
And all those places are re-supplied by the "civilized" places.

Wait till you are there and the supply boat does not come.

You will find just how civilized they are then. Would they be thinking "Us or them?". Yep. And you are a "them".
There are still people out there who live off the land and don't need supplies from the modern world.
Old 18-10-2010, 05:58   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Had some friends who bought a real armageddon boat from a religious sect.

I wrote it up in some past thread so I will copy/paste it for you'se

The religious sect sold it, not because they think the world is redeemed... they still think we're gunna die by gods wrath, but they worked out that the sea is about the worst place to be!! A few well placed volcanoes to toast the water right up to boiling etc. So they sold the boat and bought a block of land in the most geologicaly secure area of the world. the center of Australia. And thats where they now live laughing at you sinners.

Hilarious! "In case of rapture, this boat is unoccupied."

Tags
sailboat