Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2010, 23:09   #31

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
So is there anyone here that cares to take a serious look at the economist's thoughts? Economists like Celente that believe that have correctly predicted events in the past and think that we are headed for a disaster. Perhaps you folks might want to tell how you might have a plan "b" for a just in case scenario...
Old 30-01-2010, 23:20   #32

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker Beast View Post
Zombies eat brains, right? Good thing I'm braindead.

Mental Note written in Sharpie: Keep a shovel onboard. For Zombies.
And so why aren't the moderators keen on nonsensical posts like this? Perhaps this should be posted in the humor section. I know that the moderators here are watching out for posts that are not related to the subject, so I am just curious as to why responses and posts like this seem to get by and the posters aren't required to move them to the humor section, as I have been asked to do.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:53   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

I don't think raising Zombies is off topic on an end of the world thread .

FWIW I'm staying onshore - more resources.

For that my emergency kit is simply an axe...........the trick will be where, how and on whom I use it to acquire everything else I will need..........including from floating survivalists turning up in Port a few months later

But odds are of course I will be part of the 90%............
Old 31-01-2010, 08:44   #34

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
If you can't have a sense of humor about nebulous end-of-the-world-but-me-and-my-crew-will-survive-when-the-****-hits-the-fan what-ifs, then perhaps someone is just worrying too dang much
Old 31-01-2010, 09:03   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
So is there anyone here that cares to take a serious look at the economist's thoughts? Economists like Celente that believe that have correctly predicted events in the past and think that we are headed for a disaster. Perhaps you folks might want to tell how you might have a plan "b" for a just in case scenario...

For what it's worth ..... I don't know if the economist are right but I think it is right smart to have a plan B. And that, if you have kids, then it should be a long term plan B. I'm working on it and a boat is a big part of it.

My personal belief is that we have created a world culture that is "critically coupled" any one of a number of things could bring it down. It could be economic, but it could be something else. But it does no good to not enjoy life in the meantime. A boat makes you flexible and mobile, it teaches you skills. It can do those same things for your kids.

Whenever you bring up a topic like this you get a lot of detractors. Perhaps the idea just scares them so they are whistling in the dark. Otherwise they would just ignore it.
Old 31-01-2010, 10:04   #36

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
And they all will continue to be proven wrong.
Except the last one.
Well said.

Preparing for unforeseen problems is just common sense IMHO, no different than having savings in the bank or life insurance or a life raft on the boat. The earthquake in Haiti is just the last of a regularly occurring string of events that would make it seem prudent to have provisions, drinking water, medical supplies, etc at the ready. Our boat is ready to shove off and stay out for several months if necessary, we are fortunate to live in an area where fresh water is in abundance so that is not a problem. We live on a small private island that is only accessible by boat or plane so the necessity of having to leave on the boat is a remote possibility... but you never know.
Old 31-01-2010, 10:31   #37

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Whenever you bring up a topic like this you get a lot of detractors. Perhaps the idea just scares them so they are whistling in the dark. Otherwise they would just ignore it.
And they become the problem when the s@!t hits the fan!
Old 31-01-2010, 13:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
And so why aren't the moderators keen on nonsensical posts like this? Perhaps this should be posted in the humor section. I know that the moderators here are watching out for posts that are not related to the subject, so I am just curious as to why responses and posts like this seem to get by and the posters aren't required to move them to the humor section, as I have been asked to do.
What makes you think I wasn't being serious? I've got a list of things going on the boat that will keep me going so I don't die. Veggie plants, patio citrus trees, a couple ducks for eggs, dried milk, flour and leavening.

I just chose to answer the one subject that interested me.

Sorry for saying anything, I'll go back to keeping my hands still and lurking.
Old 31-01-2010, 21:52   #39

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
JEsus.

Will somebody pass the butter?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:56   #40

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
Self Reliance is the essence of the Cruising Ethic. I would set off my satellite e.p.i.r.b. as my boat sinks from underneath me and i step into my six man Switlick, because it would be the correct step for that situation.I would not depend upon things working out, but would expect the worst, prepare for it and be pleasantly surprised at success.

The same philosophy of self-reliance carries over into my life on land, with a passive and active solar house, heated with wood for the winter and a huge organic garden, large pond and cellar full of canned goods plus weapons and plenty of ammo.

No doubt about it, things will get real bad, at some point. I may not be on the planet anymore, but my family will live on, on the land I cleared and transformed.

Harmony with nature and your fellow man is a lofty goal and a laudable pursuit. Fearing potential unpleasant futures is bad for the soul and a sorry waste of time. Preparation and planning prevent despair and sorrow.

I am the same person on land as I am on the seas, wherever I go-there I AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:04   #41

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I wish I could say that my boat is outfitted for a great escape, but I already know I'll be needed here onshore to head the new government.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:09   #42

This thread reminds me of Waterworld.
Any way you slice, or dice it - Earth will never be a utopia. It's good to have dreams, and to work toward achieving them, but - it's important too to live each moment (in the moment) to it's fullest.
For me that means a healthy relationship with Jesus Christ.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40   #43

Boat: Island Packet 349
The subject question of this thread should be addressed to the members from Argentina. Did it occur to anyone there during the recent economic crisis to use a sailboat as a "plan B" means, and how did it work out for them. Everything else is purely speculative and quite pointless.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:41   #44

Boat: Ohlson 38
chicken little and skye

This was a funny thread and I got a few laughs out of it. At first I didn't take the "end of the world" scenario very seriously, of course, and I find it highly unlikely that we will suffer some worlwide apocalyptic disaster,
BUT.....when 9/11 happened I was ten miles west of the pentagon, with my crew, painting a house. The radio reports were relaying reports of dirty bomb attacks and possible biological and chemical attacks in Wash DC along with various bombings etc throughout the country. I had never considered an attack on my country very likely, so I hadn't made any plans to that end and as a result I panicked! I let my crew go, layed my ladders and paint buckets down in the middle of that couples yard and hauled ass to Alexandria to pull my kids from school and run for the hills. My two kids were in their 1st and 2nd grade classrooms 2 miles from ground zero and less than one mile from the pentagon. I witnessed a mass exodus from DC like something out of a sci-fi movie. All communications down!
Things calmed down a little by the time I arrived in Alexandria and I was being told by family that I was overreacting and should not take the kids out of school and certainly there was no reason to run. I can see clearly today that 9/11 could have been much, much worse. It could have been an event that killed hundreds of thousands of people. RE: the topic, I have not chosen my boat with the end of the world (or my city) in mind, but, I do believe that one day, whether it be biological, viral, chemical, nuclear or simply total economic collapse and anarchy...this country will come to an end. Maybe not in my lifetime but just in case I keep a few iodine tablets on the shelf in case of dirty bomb attack. I haven't stockpiled any emergency rations or built a bunker or the like but while the rest of humankind is incinerated while stuck in traffic, my boat will become a well armed bunker for me and my family during our escape.

WOW! After reading over what I wrote, I'm thinking that I might sound a little like a crackpot survivalist. LOL! Eric
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16   #45
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Economic collaspe?
Wouldn't be the fist time.
We survived it last time without bugging out.
Chances are pretty good we'll be able to do it again.
Annialation by WMDs?
I remember when I was very young my folks shopping for bomb shelters during the Cuban missle crisis. I remember dozens of missles two miles from my house, barbed wire along Miami beach and convoys of soldiers up and down the roads. While I believe in the reality of serious problems I remember my folks finally giving up on the idea of digging bomb shelters as did most of their friends. They came to the realization that there probably wouldn't be much of anything worth left over. This idea is nothing new. Seems we rehash the same survivor scenarios over and over every few generations or so. I always like the old series The Twilight Zone. This thread reminds me of two episodes inparticular..."Third from the Sun" and "The Shelter" perhaps worth viewing again.
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat