Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 11:30   #346
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
Beneteau or not, this part of the discussion doesn't help us.

Maybe in private over a few beers, but not permanently on the Internet in this age of efficient Google searching.

Regards,
Brad
on the bright side it might free up some marina space.......
Old 24-08-2011, 11:38   #347

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
Beneteau or not, this part of the discussion doesn't help us.

Maybe in private over a few beers, but not permanently on the Internet in this age of efficient Google searching.

Regards,
Brad

Nothing personal, but this conversation should not even happen in private over a few beers.

The boat being stolen may well belong to someone who has it there and prepared for his family to escape.

The person who would steal instead of legally acquire and prepare his own is not someone I would want to drink a beer with.
Old 24-08-2011, 11:43   #348

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 32

I would think instead of stealing boats, more sailors would join up like MarkJ did when he had his dealings with Pirates.

More the strength in numbers mentality. I'd rather be 1 boat of dozens that becomes a sort of literal sailing community versus a lone 32 footer hoping to not be found.

On top of that, it might be easier to fend off zombies as a group. Remember, it's always the guy that is by himself that gets attacked. That is one of three detailed emergency action plans that I have on the boat. Has no one watched zombieland? Gotta follow the basic rules.
Old 24-08-2011, 11:47   #349
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

*NOTICE*

For those whom are taking seriously this tongue in cheek conversation about boat theft; please check immediately on the current state of your sense of humour. If found missing or out of date please update app immediately; here

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 24-08-2011, 11:49   #350
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallyachts View Post
Nothing personal, but this conversation should not even happen in private over a few beers.

The boat being stolen may well belong to someone who has it there and prepared for his family to escape.

The person who would steal instead of legally acquire and prepare his own is not someone I would want to drink a beer with.
on the contrary this is just such a scenario that is liable to happen in a major melt down"End of The World Getaway ".

like it or not ,its all very well being prepped but dire straits leads to dire actions.

would you steal to feed your family,or just starve to death?
Old 24-08-2011, 11:58   #351

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

If you steal all the boats out of the marina your in do you think you can get a better deal on a slip?
Old 24-08-2011, 12:10   #352
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
If you steal all the boats out of the marina your in do you think you can get a better deal on a slip?
if you have that many family members to be able to steal all the boats at the same time,then you are probably better off just taking over the marina and sell off boats to those that have gold/valuables to exchange..........
Old 24-08-2011, 12:29   #353

Re: Sailboat for End of the World Getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Look at the calander on your wall/desk. It very likely "runs out" December 31, 2010.
What does that suggest to you?
The Mayan calender does not run out anyway. It's a common misconception. That's what happens when you get your facts from Hollywood movies.

For the Mayans, Dec 21 2012 would be a date of great celebration as one period in the long count ends and the next begins.

From Wikipedia :

"Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun.

Sandra Noble, executive director of the Mesoamerican research organization FAMSI, notes that "for the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle". She considers the portrayal of December 2012 as a doomsday or cosmic-shift event to be "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."[16] The 2009 science fiction apocalyptic disaster film 2012 is based on this belief."
Old 24-08-2011, 13:34   #354
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
*NOTICE*

For those whom are taking seriously this tongue in cheek conversation about boat theft; please check immediately on the current state of your sense of humour. If found missing or out of date please update app immediately; here

I couldn't find the update on the link
Old 24-08-2011, 14:11   #355

Some are serious about boat theft -as well as rioting, mayhem, cannibalism....
I just think positive, stay close to my boat, (luckily I don't own a Benatau), and sleep easy knowing there are no hurricanes or earthquakes in this area...
Old 24-08-2011, 14:24   #356
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i would have to trade my 41 for a formosa 51 and leave a note---"because your boat was sitting alone crying and gathering a world of dust, mine decided to trade itself for yours. we are in transit and the 51 is exceptionally happy now and no longer crying. have a great day" or some such .....

i keep feeding her miracle grow, but she just doesnt grow.......
Old 24-08-2011, 14:32   #357
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

i keep feeding her miracle grow, but she just doesnt grow.......

I have heard this makes a Formosa gain weight, time to rethink
Old 24-08-2011, 15:10   #358

In the year 2011, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in Oregon and said:
"Once again, the earth has become evil and I see the end of all flesh before me. Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans." He gave Noah the blueprints, saying: "You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights."
Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark.
"Noah!," He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?"
"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed."
"I needed a Building Permit."
"I've been arguing with the Boat Inspector about the need for a sprinkler system."
"My neighbors claim that I've violated the Neighborhood By-Laws by building the Ark in my back garden and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the Local Planning Committee for a decision."
"Then the Local Council and the Electric Company demanded a boat load of money for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it."
"Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl. I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!"
"When I started gathering the animals the ASPCA took me to court. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space."
"Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood."
"I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew."
"Immigration are checking the Visa status of most of the people who want to work."
"The trades unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only Union workers with ark-building experience."
"To make matters worse, the Internal Revenue Service seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species."
"So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark."
"Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky."
Noah looked up in wonder and asked,
"You mean you're not going to destroy the world?"
"No," said the Lord.
" The United States Government beat me to it."
Gonzalo Lira: What Distinguishes the Rich from the Poor Today, Part I
Old 24-08-2011, 16:42   #359

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
*NOTICE*

So some the younger members of this forum think it is "funny" to steal and run off with somebody's property. - That is a good example of the sad and decaying state of modern society that is manifest around us these days. So maybe the "end of the world" scenario is not so far fetched after all. And maybe a lot closer than thought.
- - From the old timers, such thoughts that stealing is "funny" simply does not exist. In the vast majority of the actual cruising community currently out there - such thoughts are also aberrant and part of the reason we left to go cruising. We have enough problems dealing with indigent islander teens/young men thinking that stealing from us is the way to get those "Nike" sneakers and fancy cell phones. We don't need need supposedly "normal" wannabe or fledgling cruisers expressing the obscene idea that if you need it just steal it.
- - The first step in total moral decay and destruction of a society is to think stealing something is funny. As an example just look to the recent riots in and around London, England. Maybe you young folks also think that rape is funny and can make jokes about it - after all it is taking/stealing something you think you need from somebody else without permission.
Old 24-08-2011, 16:53   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
So some the younger members of this forum think it is "funny" to steal and run off with somebody's property. - That is a good example of the sad and decaying state of modern society that is manifest around us these days. So maybe the "end of the world" scenario is not so far fetched after all. And maybe a lot closer than thought.
- - From the old timers, such thoughts that stealing is "funny" simply does not exist. In the vast majority of the actual cruising community currently out there - such thoughts are also aberrant and part of the reason we left to go cruising. We have enough problems dealing with indigent islander teens/young men thinking that stealing from us is the way to get those "Nike" sneakers and fancy cell phones. We don't need need supposedly "normal" wannabe or fledgling cruisers expressing the obscene idea that if you need it just steal it.
- - The first step in total moral decay and destruction of a society is to think stealing something is funny. As an example just look to the recent riots in and around London, England. Maybe you young folks also think that rape is funny and can make jokes about it - after all it is taking/stealing something you think you need from somebody else.
agree
and the recent "flash mobs" -( violent - not dancing ).
which have caused a curfew in Philadelphia...
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat