Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 05:20   #316

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Lots of talk about eating fruit and veggies from the jungle, etc. but you won't get many calories from those. You have to have large amount of grains, either rice or flour ... figure out where that's coming from?

We have a place in rural Thailand and there is lots of fruit on trees, etc. for the taking, but the main stable of the local diet is rice. Without it you don't get enough calories to sustain much physical activity.

You could also get Yucca from South America or the Caribbean islands if your down there. You can use it for bread and also just fry it up. Great little staple the Indians of the islands and south America use. Lots of starch.
Old 14-04-2011, 06:45   #317
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
... The problem is everyone thinks of this as a Doomsday scenario. It isn't it's a economic collapse; not a meteor from space. They tend to last 15 years at the most and then the rebuilding is done. It will take some time but we still have horses to pull a plow and lots of seed in the arctic to plant when the oil runs out. We will be fine after a while ...
FWIW: The title of this thread does posit "END of the WORLD", not the next economic downturn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
... I was listening to Rush Limbaugh ...
Shame on you!

Old 14-04-2011, 06:52   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: The title of this thread does posit "END of the WORLD", not the next economic downturn.

True! If a meteor hits us we're all dead No matter what.

Shame on you!
Rush is just a entertainer. Take what he says with a grain of salt and think for yourself. Use the Brain god gave you and you'll be fine.
Old 14-04-2011, 07:36   #319
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Lets see, I have the island house, mountain house (but it's only 30 miles away), ocean going vessel, 30,000 rounds, we don't see doctors or take medications, good physical health, self sustaining orchard, good garden. Oh, and I'm a prime baby boomer, been there, done that, how is it I'm going away? Hard times let hard people survive. The one enemy I have is time. Lets hope we still have some.
youre the first up against the wall when the revolution comes
Dave
Old 14-04-2011, 09:49   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Shame on you!
End of the world as we know it

First time I have listened - very interesting rhetoric - and I won't do it again - so ashamed
Old 14-04-2011, 09:52   #321

Boat: Riviera 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Lots of talk about eating fruit and veggies from the jungle, etc. but you won't get many calories from those. You have to have large amount of grains, either rice or flour ... figure out where that's coming from?
Tinned potatoes and vac packed rice, and stuff.

The issue is: for how long does one need to be self-sufficient.

There are situations in which it is impracticable to survive on a boat, but they are very limited, and a boat makes good sense in most SHTF scenarios that we have historically witnessed.

We did a test on an earlier thread, to see how much food and kit we could load. We managed about a years supply for four people on a 43 footer, and three to four months on a 35 footer with no problem at all. Well, one problem

I am still eating the bl**dy tinned stuff more than 18 months later, and I have not even opened the dried food boxes yet.

We measured water at 5 litres per person per day for drinking/consumption uses.

Which was interesting, as the last time we went out on a cruise (six of us), and having showers and stuff every day, we were filling our tanks every night with 100 gallons.

It did show us just how much we went to restaurants and had take-aways though. And it highlighted what a thoroughly useless cook I was.

If the picture is of an end of the world issue, there are few/no options whatsoever, but in lower levels of S hitting the proverbial fan, then there are many benefits of being boaty.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:09   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
All past "end of world" predictions have been proven wrong. 100% of them. Not a very good track record.
Talking of vegetables, we had a driver who used to work for us, who was adamant that the world would end a couple of years back when the Hadron Collider experiment was undertaken.

I well remember him turning up for work the day after the experiment in absolute depression. "Its all right for you" he grumbled, "but I have got to pay back all the money I borrowed now".
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:21   #323

The main issue of food storage/nutritional requirements on a sailboat. Whether crossing an ocean many weeks - or shtf scenario.
Half the crew of an east-indiamen would die on the voyage from Europe to Java. Many from scurvy (vitamin c deficiency).
Captain Cook introduced soukraut(pickled cabbage). Cabbage is very high in vitamin C, and lasts long time.
Eventually they used lime in the grog ration. And only teetotalers would get scurvy...
(Grog is good for you)
My philosophy is canned fruit and vegetables - not too much as is very heavy. Also mucho rice/beans/passta.
I do not have any canned meat or fish - if you can't catch a bloody fish in the middle of the ocean - well that's why god invented Darwinism.
If you want poultry - get a wind generator.
Fresh fruit and veg a the biggest problem.
Me and my 2 ex-girlfriend crew arrived in Hiva Oua - perhaps 6 weeks from Panama. Last week of voyage was almost exclusively Mahi-Mahi and cabbage and carrot salad.
Another girlfriend arrived in Tahiti and requested to meet in Rangiroa. We up-anchored and sailed there to meet her. She took us out to dinner at a local place. home cooked -ocean view - everyone eats the same meal from "mumma". Which was Mahi-Mahi and carrot and cabbage salad.
Apparently they had not had a delivery for some time.
Many atolls don't grow much except coconut. Not ssure what other vegetables. etc grow in the South Pacific Islands...

I
Old 14-04-2011, 10:26   #324
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Me and my 2 ex-girlfriend crew arrived in Hiva Oua - perhaps 6 weeks from Panama. Last week of voyage was almost exclusively Mahi-Mahi and cabbage and carrot salad.
Another girlfriend arrived in Tahiti and requested to meet in Rangiroa
forget the boat survival stuff mate, take the 3 girlfriends and live in a cave!!

Dave
Old 14-04-2011, 10:29   #325

Jeez. I'd like to have that much energy.

But...

Allezcat certainly has it sussed for this end of the world stuff. Thats how I'd like to go too.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:47   #326

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
lets work on that.

Step two - a bible
Or Torah, Koran, Dhammapada, deep understand of true Paganism (worship of nature), numerous Sun god religions (no sense including the Mayan, it quits after 2012), the Egyptian Book of the Dead and a plethora of others.

Somewheres in that mix there must be the "Truth", huh?

What ever works!
Old 14-04-2011, 12:12   #327

Quote:
forget the boat survival stuff mate, take the 3 girlfriends and live in a cave!!
You forget he was in Tahiti. Ever read Mutiny on the Bounty? The chaps on that ship had the same problem as Allezcat did.
Heck! I wouldn't want to leave either.
Old 24-08-2011, 00:11   #328

Boat: Columbia 43 "Big Dinghy"

If the dollar becomes worthless, you won't even know your neighbors anymore. People will get crazy at the thought of there kids starving. My plan is to be prepared food wise and if it does hit, the gun will rule, and I'll head for the coast and grab the nicest Beneteau Oceanis 58 you have ever seen and disapear.
Old 24-08-2011, 03:16   #329
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i love this thread,havent had any gun or pirate threads for a while on cf..........,
just hurricanes ,earthquakes and tsunamis............
Old 24-08-2011, 03:33   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by larson2032 View Post
If the dollar becomes worthless, you won't even know your neighbors anymore. People will get crazy at the thought of there kids starving. My plan is to be prepared food wise and if it does hit, the gun will rule, and I'll head for the coast and grab the nicest Beneteau Oceanis 58 you have ever seen and disapear.
What is the best way to "grab" a sailboat?
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat