Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 07:34   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Way back in '99, one of the guys in the firestation was SURE Y2K was going to destroy society. He had family land in Northern Michigan where he figured he could live off the land.... BUT being in S Florida, he needed to cache "stuff" midway; he bought a farm in Kentucky, stocked it with BARRELS of rice, wheat, fuel, generators, medical supplies etc.

He was blathering on for months leading up to Y2K about his preparations to anyone who would listen. It was about this time of year in 1999... he and I were riding together in an ambulance coming back from the hospital after dropping off a patient. He asked if I had all my "preps" done. I told him "sure, bought another thousand rounds of ammunition"

"Ammunition? What good is that gonna do? You can kill game to eat, but what about fuel for your car?"

"No, you ID10T, I'm gonna use it to come take YOUR stuff; you already told me where to find it!" ..... The look on his face was priceless as he thought about HOW MANY people he had been bragging to about his preparations.

BTW, the hillbillies in KY, cleaned out his barn before he ever got back up there! Guess he told THEM what he was doing too!

The moral to the story? Being prepared is all fine and well, just don't brag about it!
Old 29-12-2010, 10:40   #182

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Continental drift is a fact, as is the change in the magnetic pole, but there is no axis or pole change.

Think of it as a layer of ice breaking up in a lake.

Maybe this stupid congressman is right...

<serious sarcasm>

Ayn Rand
Old 29-12-2010, 11:03   #183

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Way back in '99, one of the guys in the firestation was SURE Y2K was going to destroy society. He had family land in Northern Michigan where he figured he could live off the land.... BUT being in S Florida, he needed to cache "stuff" midway; he bought a farm in Kentucky, stocked it with BARRELS of rice, wheat, fuel, generators, medical supplies etc.

He was blathering on for months leading up to Y2K about his preparations to anyone who would listen. It was about this time of year in 1999... he and I were riding together in an ambulance coming back from the hospital after dropping off a patient. He asked if I had all my "preps" done. I told him "sure, bought another thousand rounds of ammunition"

"Ammunition? What good is that gonna do? You can kill game to eat, but what about fuel for your car?"

"No, you ID10T, I'm gonna use it to come take YOUR stuff; you already told me where to find it!" ..... The look on his face was priceless as he thought about HOW MANY people he had been bragging to about his preparations.

BTW, the hillbillies in KY, cleaned out his barn before he ever got back up there! Guess he told THEM what he was doing too!

The moral to the story? Being prepared is all fine and well, just don't brag about it!
This is an example of what will happen to people who think they will leave the "city" and run to the "country" and be safe. No way will those that live, and have lived there will allow "you" to just move on in. Ain't gonna happen.
Old 29-12-2010, 11:05   #184

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

<serious sarcasm>
OMFG

Thinking this is real makes me want to shoot either him or myself.

Seriously.
Old 29-12-2010, 11:07   #185
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
with that^^^^^ running this nation, how can we miss????!!!! roflmfao....quick, up the boost on that there turbo diesel engine of yours and sail away ...fast!!!!
Old 29-12-2010, 11:16   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
<serious sarcasm>
Wow... I guess it shows that you don't need to have any brains to be a politician.

I wonder what his constituents think of a congressman who thinks an island could capsize?

Or are they the same ones who think the Mayan calendar predicting the end of the world is fact?
Old 29-12-2010, 14:45   #187
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Wow... I guess it shows that you don't need to have any brains to be a politician.

I wonder what his constituents think of a congressman who thinks an island could capsize?

Or are they the same ones who think the Mayan calendar predicting the end of the world is fact?
Awww come on... don't rain on the parade... religions have been based on this stuff... the people who used to knock on my door kept changing it... twice in the 70's, at least once in the 80's... I heeded the warnimg in '95... had a great time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 29-12-2010, 15:48   #188

I have the materials for my boat but have,nt got started building yet. Will I need to be finished by Jan.1st 2012 or Dec. 31 2012 ? Eather date is not good for me. I do have a plan B, I think everyone should, but running wont help in the long run. There are many old forts on the gulf coast, they can hold a large number of people especialy if there are boats for living space. They can be defended with small arms, it would take something bigger than the average person can buy or steal to breach a wall. If a wall is breached then it, s back to the boats. Maybe good to have a plan C as well. If my boats not finished in time can I get a ride with someone ? I,ll bring the beer.
Old 29-12-2010, 17:49   #189
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I'm reminded of a certain film

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

A silver lining methinks
Dave
Old 29-12-2010, 18:22   #190

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
This thread is soooo much better than the science fiction book I was just reading ...... I kind of think that the boat theft is a pretty good idea. I have my eye on a couple that are big enough to carry my whole family. One or two of those are real sailing vessels, no need of an engine, so the engine room can be converted to a good cargo space. The engine will eventually make a good mooring weight as well. But, paying attention to the story about the idiot who bragged a bout yis Y2K plans, I'm not telling you where the boats are [one of you may own one of them], nor where I've got my stuff stored, or even where I am. Hahahahahahaha! And I think ten women per man is a ridiculous notion. One needs no more than seven. I mean, really.
Old 29-12-2010, 18:43   #191

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Okay, I have to respond to the Mayan 2012 calendric finale. You see, I am a Marxist Anthropologist. I have studied these ancient cultures. Here is the real skinny:

The Mayan rulers were slave driving priests [is there any other kind?]. The guys carving the calendars [the calendar in question, of course, is carved in stone] were peons who slaved away, day after day, chipping out stone bits to make the glyphs which dompose the calendar. Day after day. They had progressed to a date some five centuries into the future, when one of the workers threw down his chisel and screamed at the priest in charge: "I'm done, damn it! You hear me? I'm done!! I ain't gonna waste another day on this useless piece of rock!!!" His fellow workers, followers all, but fed up with the rich overlords telling them what to do, followed suit. They all walked off the job, not realizing what astonishing amounts of consternation their actions would cause to gullible stone believers several hundred years in the future. And that, Fellow Sailboat Freaks, is the origin of the 2012 end of the world myth.
Old 29-12-2010, 22:53   #192

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
Thumbs up

MichaelC is right, seven women is enough.
Old 29-12-2010, 23:30   #193

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Ill be screwed...

Depending on how the SHTF, I will be stuck... I will need bridges opened so that I can pass through, 2-3 of them I believe.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:25   #194

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
Okay, I have to respond to the Mayan 2012 calendric finale. You see, I am a Marxist Anthropologist. I have studied these ancient cultures. Here is the real skinny:

The Mayan rulers were slave driving priests [is there any other kind?]. The guys carving the calendars [the calendar in question, of course, is carved in stone] were peons who slaved away, day after day, chipping out stone bits to make the glyphs which dompose the calendar. Day after day. They had progressed to a date some five centuries into the future, when one of the workers threw down his chisel and screamed at the priest in charge: "I'm done, damn it! You hear me? I'm done!! I ain't gonna waste another day on this useless piece of rock!!!" His fellow workers, followers all, but fed up with the rich overlords telling them what to do, followed suit. They all walked off the job, not realizing what astonishing amounts of consternation their actions would cause to gullible stone believers several hundred years in the future. And that, Fellow Sailboat Freaks, is the origin of the 2012 end of the world myth.
I was under the impression it was because they ran out of rock.
Old 01-01-2011, 15:52   #195
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnaw2000 View Post
I love this thread lol!!!

It seems to me that to survive any SHTF scenario, a person needs to be ready to survive the three separate stages of such a scenario. And, this includes an immediate danger such as a nuclear, biological or alien attack or earthquake or volcano. Or, something a bit slower like a financial collapse, political shift, or global warming and very slow zombies.

All of these scenarios brings one thing: a shift in power from one form of government to the other. The trick is survivng the shifts in power.

The three stages of survival (as I see it) are as follows:

Immediate (Time Frame: 1-48 hours): In any dangerous and life-threatening scenario, one needs to immediately secure the safety of his/her person, family, and as mentioned in another thread, a nubile young breeding stock. Since this thread started by discussing a "bug-out boat", this scenario would mean to get from home to the boat as quickly and safely as possible and head for blue water. If you're a liveaboard, cheers!

Short-Term (Time Frame: 30-60 days): I figure that with any shift in power, the amount of time that most people will have to survive will be approximately 30-60 days. These are people without any food/water supply and must scavenge for food in the days after a disaster hits. This is by far the most critical time period. While this is happening on land, a person on a boat with their food supply could be sailing lazy circles a hundred miles offshore while eating mahi mahi and drinking desalinated water.

Long-Term (Time Frame 60+ days): No one can live on a boat forever or should unless it's a really, really big ship. This is a critical time as well because the boater needs to listen for radio message to gauge the political atmosphere. (e.g. Do I return to my marina where I was before or do I find a nice island in the Marquesas to repopulate the species).

In any event, I want to be on Will Smith's boat.
Good post, much along my own thoughts.
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat