Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 08:34   #181
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Way back in '99, one of the guys in the firestation was SURE Y2K was going to destroy society. He had family land in Northern Michigan where he figured he could live off the land.... BUT being in S Florida, he needed to cache "stuff" midway; he bought a farm in Kentucky, stocked it with BARRELS of rice, wheat, fuel, generators, medical supplies etc.

He was blathering on for months leading up to Y2K about his preparations to anyone who would listen. It was about this time of year in 1999... he and I were riding together in an ambulance coming back from the hospital after dropping off a patient. He asked if I had all my "preps" done. I told him "sure, bought another thousand rounds of ammunition"

"Ammunition? What good is that gonna do? You can kill game to eat, but what about fuel for your car?"

"No, you ID10T, I'm gonna use it to come take YOUR stuff; you already told me where to find it!" ..... The look on his face was priceless as he thought about HOW MANY people he had been bragging to about his preparations.

BTW, the hillbillies in KY, cleaned out his barn before he ever got back up there! Guess he told THEM what he was doing too!

The moral to the story? Being prepared is all fine and well, just don't brag about it!
__________________

__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 11:40   #182
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Continental drift is a fact, as is the change in the magnetic pole, but there is no axis or pole change.

Think of it as a layer of ice breaking up in a lake.

Maybe this stupid congressman is right...


<serious sarcasm>
__________________

__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 12:03   #183
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Way back in '99, one of the guys in the firestation was SURE Y2K was going to destroy society. He had family land in Northern Michigan where he figured he could live off the land.... BUT being in S Florida, he needed to cache "stuff" midway; he bought a farm in Kentucky, stocked it with BARRELS of rice, wheat, fuel, generators, medical supplies etc.

He was blathering on for months leading up to Y2K about his preparations to anyone who would listen. It was about this time of year in 1999... he and I were riding together in an ambulance coming back from the hospital after dropping off a patient. He asked if I had all my "preps" done. I told him "sure, bought another thousand rounds of ammunition"

"Ammunition? What good is that gonna do? You can kill game to eat, but what about fuel for your car?"

"No, you ID10T, I'm gonna use it to come take YOUR stuff; you already told me where to find it!" ..... The look on his face was priceless as he thought about HOW MANY people he had been bragging to about his preparations.

BTW, the hillbillies in KY, cleaned out his barn before he ever got back up there! Guess he told THEM what he was doing too!

The moral to the story? Being prepared is all fine and well, just don't brag about it!
This is an example of what will happen to people who think they will leave the "city" and run to the "country" and be safe. No way will those that live, and have lived there will allow "you" to just move on in. Ain't gonna happen.
__________________
Therapy is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 12:05   #184
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Maybe this stupid congressman is right...


<serious sarcasm>
OMFG

Thinking this is real makes me want to shoot either him or myself.

Seriously.
__________________
Therapy is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 12:07   #185
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
with that^^^^^ running this nation, how can we miss????!!!! roflmfao....quick, up the boost on that there turbo diesel engine of yours and sail away ...fast!!!!
zeehag is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 12:16   #186
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Maybe this stupid congressman is right...
<serious sarcasm>
Wow... I guess it shows that you don't need to have any brains to be a politician.

I wonder what his constituents think of a congressman who thinks an island could capsize?

Or are they the same ones who think the Mayan calendar predicting the end of the world is fact?
__________________
avb3 is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 15:45   #187
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Wow... I guess it shows that you don't need to have any brains to be a politician.

I wonder what his constituents think of a congressman who thinks an island could capsize?

Or are they the same ones who think the Mayan calendar predicting the end of the world is fact?
Awww come on... don't rain on the parade... religions have been based on this stuff... the people who used to knock on my door kept changing it... twice in the 70's, at least once in the 80's... I heeded the warnimg in '95... had a great time...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 16:48   #188
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
I have the materials for my boat but have,nt got started building yet. Will I need to be finished by Jan.1st 2012 or Dec. 31 2012 ? Eather date is not good for me. I do have a plan B, I think everyone should, but running wont help in the long run. There are many old forts on the gulf coast, they can hold a large number of people especialy if there are boats for living space. They can be defended with small arms, it would take something bigger than the average person can buy or steal to breach a wall. If a wall is breached then it, s back to the boats. Maybe good to have a plan C as well. If my boats not finished in time can I get a ride with someone ? I,ll bring the beer.
__________________
rberrey is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 18:49   #189
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
I'm reminded of a certain film

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

A silver lining methinks
Dave
__________________
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 19:22   #190
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bellingham WA
Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Posts: 305
This thread is soooo much better than the science fiction book I was just reading ...... I kind of think that the boat theft is a pretty good idea. I have my eye on a couple that are big enough to carry my whole family. One or two of those are real sailing vessels, no need of an engine, so the engine room can be converted to a good cargo space. The engine will eventually make a good mooring weight as well. But, paying attention to the story about the idiot who bragged a bout yis Y2K plans, I'm not telling you where the boats are [one of you may own one of them], nor where I've got my stuff stored, or even where I am. Hahahahahahaha! And I think ten women per man is a ridiculous notion. One needs no more than seven. I mean, really.
__________________
MichaelC is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 19:43   #191
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bellingham WA
Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Posts: 305
Okay, I have to respond to the Mayan 2012 calendric finale. You see, I am a Marxist Anthropologist. I have studied these ancient cultures. Here is the real skinny:

The Mayan rulers were slave driving priests [is there any other kind?]. The guys carving the calendars [the calendar in question, of course, is carved in stone] were peons who slaved away, day after day, chipping out stone bits to make the glyphs which dompose the calendar. Day after day. They had progressed to a date some five centuries into the future, when one of the workers threw down his chisel and screamed at the priest in charge: "I'm done, damn it! You hear me? I'm done!! I ain't gonna waste another day on this useless piece of rock!!!" His fellow workers, followers all, but fed up with the rich overlords telling them what to do, followed suit. They all walked off the job, not realizing what astonishing amounts of consternation their actions would cause to gullible stone believers several hundred years in the future. And that, Fellow Sailboat Freaks, is the origin of the 2012 end of the world myth.
__________________
MichaelC is offline  
Old 29-12-2010, 23:53   #192
Registered User
 
captintommy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
Posts: 58
Images: 1
Thumbs up

MichaelC is right, seven women is enough.
__________________
You can't drown a man thats destined to hang!!!
captintommy is offline  
Old 30-12-2010, 00:30   #193
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Posts: 75
Ill be screwed...

Depending on how the SHTF, I will be stuck... I will need bridges opened so that I can pass through, 2-3 of them I believe.
__________________
shibbershabber is offline  
Old 30-12-2010, 12:25   #194
Registered User
 
capn_billl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston,Tx
Boat: Maxum 37'
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
Okay, I have to respond to the Mayan 2012 calendric finale. You see, I am a Marxist Anthropologist. I have studied these ancient cultures. Here is the real skinny:

The Mayan rulers were slave driving priests [is there any other kind?]. The guys carving the calendars [the calendar in question, of course, is carved in stone] were peons who slaved away, day after day, chipping out stone bits to make the glyphs which dompose the calendar. Day after day. They had progressed to a date some five centuries into the future, when one of the workers threw down his chisel and screamed at the priest in charge: "I'm done, damn it! You hear me? I'm done!! I ain't gonna waste another day on this useless piece of rock!!!" His fellow workers, followers all, but fed up with the rich overlords telling them what to do, followed suit. They all walked off the job, not realizing what astonishing amounts of consternation their actions would cause to gullible stone believers several hundred years in the future. And that, Fellow Sailboat Freaks, is the origin of the 2012 end of the world myth.
I was under the impression it was because they ran out of rock.
__________________
capn_billl is offline  
Old 01-01-2011, 16:52   #195
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnaw2000 View Post
I love this thread lol!!!

It seems to me that to survive any SHTF scenario, a person needs to be ready to survive the three separate stages of such a scenario. And, this includes an immediate danger such as a nuclear, biological or alien attack or earthquake or volcano. Or, something a bit slower like a financial collapse, political shift, or global warming and very slow zombies.

All of these scenarios brings one thing: a shift in power from one form of government to the other. The trick is survivng the shifts in power.

The three stages of survival (as I see it) are as follows:

Immediate (Time Frame: 1-48 hours): In any dangerous and life-threatening scenario, one needs to immediately secure the safety of his/her person, family, and as mentioned in another thread, a nubile young breeding stock. Since this thread started by discussing a "bug-out boat", this scenario would mean to get from home to the boat as quickly and safely as possible and head for blue water. If you're a liveaboard, cheers!

Short-Term (Time Frame: 30-60 days): I figure that with any shift in power, the amount of time that most people will have to survive will be approximately 30-60 days. These are people without any food/water supply and must scavenge for food in the days after a disaster hits. This is by far the most critical time period. While this is happening on land, a person on a boat with their food supply could be sailing lazy circles a hundred miles offshore while eating mahi mahi and drinking desalinated water.

Long-Term (Time Frame 60+ days): No one can live on a boat forever or should unless it's a really, really big ship. This is a critical time as well because the boater needs to listen for radio message to gauge the political atmosphere. (e.g. Do I return to my marina where I was before or do I find a nice island in the Marquesas to repopulate the species).

In any event, I want to be on Will Smith's boat.
Good post, much along my own thoughts.
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Cruising Sailboat ! Soon2bsailor Monohull Sailboats 12 05-10-2014 21:32
Interior Decorating Your Sailboat ? Velma Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 144 17-01-2014 22:58
Two Dead, Seven Hurt in San Diego Sailboat Accident h20man Cruising News & Events 151 03-08-2011 14:13
Yet Another Newbie Says Hi kungfoo Meets & Greets 9 24-07-2011 20:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.